Are Matthews and Tavares Franchise #1 C's

100% Matthews is a franchise #1 C

• Total voters

Mar 26, 2010
There seems to be lots of negativity on the main boards, with regards to Matthews and Tavares. You would think they are 3rd-4th liners the way they are bashed on here by the Leaf haters.

This is for Leaf fans only. Do you believe Tavares and Matthews are #1 Franchise C's.

For me, they are 2 of the very best in the NHL today.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think both are around the top 15 of centers in the league and would be #1 C's on most teams.
What is a franchise center by definition?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
IMG_0899.JPG
There seems to be lots of negativity on the main boards, with regards to Matthews and Tavares. You would think they are 3rd-4th liners the way they are bashed on here by the Leaf haters.

This is for Leaf fans only. Do you believe Tavares and Matthews are #1 Franchise C's.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
regardless of whether you're a fan or not, or how much you wish one (or both) would fail, there's no denying by anyone that these are elite players, superstars, franchise players, however you want to define them.

Anyone arguing this either doesn't know hockey or is trolling/jealous - period. It's beyond obvious, truly no point arguing.

I can't wait to watch this team play next year. And there will be pressure, because they are THAT good.

Reactions: RCS

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
They’re both top-10 centres (wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews is top-5 this year). If that’s your definition of franchise centre, then yes, they’re franchise centremen.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

thy are both 3rd liners at best.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
When I saw it wasn't an option I instinctively knew I could pick 2.

Ok? You and 32 other people not named Jeffrey Pedler (who may just not think Matthews is one.)

Literally the answers could have been:

They both are
Matthews is, Tavares isn’t
Tavares is, Matthews isn’t
Neither of them are

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They are both pretty clearly in that tier of the top 20 centers in the league that you would be comfortable building a team around. If someone doesn't think that, they probably have brain damage.

I'd argue both are closer to the top 5, than to 20. Probably around 5-12. But, they are absolutely franchise centers.

Mar 26, 2010
I think both are around the top 15 of centers in the league and would be #1 C's on most teams.
What is a franchise center by definition?
A player that you build the team around.

Example: Auston Matthews and John Tavares :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad