Value of: Arber Xhekaj value in a trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Pretty simple.
Wifi is more valuable to us than what we could get for him.
I came here to say that. Another trade we are out here discussing that just won’t happen. He is still a young developing player. I see some offensive upside. And he is violent. But he is probably only going to get some late draft pick or something.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What's the value of lucic in 2008? There is no other player like Xhekaj in the league and Montreal's management has no desire to move him. It would be something silly like the Tanner Jeannot or Hagel trades.

Xhekaj is the exact type of player that teams have been wasting first rounders on for over a decade hoping they'd get. Guys like Mcilrath or Tinordi or Siemens or Reinhart or morin or Fleury or Foote or many others outside of the first round too.

He's also one of the only players left in the league that keeps players honest on the ice. People really bullied the Habs last season early on and two seasons ago and after a few beat downs there are no more liberties being taken. Xhekaj is legitimately the toughest player in the league who can also take a regular shift.

Bruins fans know the value of a player like that.

That's some weapons grade copium you got there.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
FWIW, a reporter who follows the Habs pretty closely is very sure the Habs could get a first for Xhekaj. Valeur d’Arber Xhekaj : un choix de 1er tour selon Mathias Brunet

I don't know if he's right, but that seems like a better valuation than "a late draft pick or something", which would seem like a low valuation for a young D who could be a staple in a top-4 for a decade while being a physical presence.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
FWIW, a reporter who follows the Habs pretty closely is very sure the Habs could get a first for Xhekaj. Valeur d’Arber Xhekaj : un choix de 1er tour selon Mathias Brunet

I don't know if he's right, but that seems like a better valuation than "a late draft pick or something", which would seem like a low valuation for a young D who could be a staple in a top-4 for a decade while being a physical presence.
I think Brunet is click baiting because I really don't think the Habs will trade him just for a draft choice unless it is in the mid 1st round. Not because it's his real value but because they have no need to trade him unless it's an overpayment.

I would rather see him traded for an underperforming but really good potential young center or winger. I brought up Laffy as an example, but now Laffy looks like he may be finding his game. MAYBE. Even then it would not be a one for one and likely Habs add a second.

Unlike any other young defenseman we have, X brings a massive physical element that no one else can provide. At worse I see him as a bigger, nastier, more offensive Chiarot. A 40 point Chairot in a few years is fantastic by my books and NOT worth trading for unless the return is stupid.

Reactions: kyne

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I think Brunet is click baiting because I really don't think the Habs will trade him just for a draft choice unless it is in the mid 1st round. Not because it's his real value but because they have no need to trade him unless it's an overpayment.

I would rather see him traded for an underperforming but really good potential young center or winger. I brought up Laffy as an example, but now Laffy looks like he may be finding his game. MAYBE. Even then it would not be a one for one and likely Habs add a second.

Unlike any other young defenseman we have, X brings a massive physical element that no one else can provide. At worse I see him as a bigger, nastier, more offensive Chiarot. A 40 point Chairot in a few years is fantastic by my books and NOT worth trading for unless the return is stupid.
A lot would have to go for him to hit 40. If he does than i'm very happy.
But if he ends up being a 25 -30 pt D-man i'd still be very happy.
Hell as for being our Sheriff i'm happy for anything over 20 pts.
He's on our team for a reason. The 20 pts are a bonus.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I’m sure that many here will tell me that I should stop sniffing glue, but I wouldn’t trade Arber for a first. He’s a bit of a unicorn, especially for the Habs. The team isn’t very big and having Arber in the lineup adds the type of toughness that we haven’t had for a long time. He’s decent defensively and he has the ability to get shots from the blue line on net and he makes you pay with his hitting and clearing the front of the net. He’s also a fan favourite and a great story. The Habs have lots of draft picks and trading Arber for another one or two doesn’t move the needle for me unless it a top 10 pick and that’s not gonna happen

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Last night's game against Buffalo where the Habs were pushed around all night is why the Habs need Xhekaj more than any other team in the league. Its also a signal to why the Habs need to stop inserting unnecessary small, soft useless forwards in the lineup.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I’m sure that many here will tell me that I should stop sniffing glue, but I wouldn’t trade Arber for a first. He’s a bit of a unicorn, especially for the Habs. The team isn’t very big and having Arber in the lineup adds the type of toughness that we haven’t had for a long time. He’s decent defensively and he has the ability to get shots from the blue line on net and he makes you pay with his hitting and clearing the front of the net. He’s also a fan favourite and a great story. The Habs have lots of draft picks and trading Arber for another one or two doesn’t move the needle for me unless it a top 10 pick and that’s not gonna happen
They dont have lots of draft picks: Next 3 drafts 1 extra first, 1 extra 2nd. Other teams (Ariz comes to mind) have way more.
If you can get a first for him you take it. But you dont shop him.
You waive useless Pezzeta, get a real tough lw on the cheap and enjoy the first.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

That’s the thing. I think a 1st round pick for him at all right now is ridiculous and unrealistic but who’s pick and when matters.

If the San Jose Sharks offered their 1st round pick right now, you’d obviously drive him to the airport now. (Obviously unrealistic and would never happen, it’s an example)

If the Golden Knights offered their 1st at the draft after winning the Presidents Trophy/Stanley Cup, especially if Jackeye showed strides during season, maybe Montreal doesn’t make the trade.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The guy will be 23 next month and playing in the AHL. A playoff team would have to be really desperate to play him

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Not worth moving as a main piece in a trade. A 3rd pairing D that can get shots through traffic and fight + a player of interest to a contender could be a decent return.

Spargon

May 31, 2019

The Habs are going to make a big splash at the final centralized draft. They are going to trade every player for 1st rounders and then they will just stand at the podium and make all the calls of round 1 themselves, 4d chess move.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
The Habs are going to make a big splash at the final centralized draft. They are going to trade every player for 1st rounders and then they will just stand at the podium and make all the calls of round 1 themselves, 4d chess move.
Sam Pollock style in 70s early 80s! Up to 5 first picks in a 16-team league. While winning the Cup that is, not rebuilding.
From wiki: the 74 draft was conducted early and in secret from league office in Montreal.

1968 picked 1-2-3 one month after winning the Cup in 4 straight. Younger folks must think i’m joking.
1969 picked 1-2

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
2nd + 3rd + Hamonic for Xhekaj. New Carkner, the type of old school type guy very rare these days. Not the most highly skilled guy but you pay for his size and toughness.

If any team pays more, they are paying for fool's gold. He is not 911 Chara.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I like Xhekaj, he's huge and has a cool story. Plus his actual play is getting progressively better.

But he plays very limited minutes on a bad team and doesn't PK, on a good team he's not even an everyday third pair guy yet. Anyone that thinks he'd be a guy contenders would target for a playoff run is delusional, he's way too unproven for that.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
2nd + 3rd + Hamonic for Xhekaj. New Carkner, the type of old school type guy very rare these days. Not the most highly skilled guy but you pay for his size and toughness.

If any team pays more, they are paying for fool's gold. He is not 911 Chara.
Fair value, but why do the Canadiens (with 11 draft picks in 2024 and 10 in 2025) trade Xhekaj for a 2nd-round pick, a 3rd-round pick, and a 33-year-old defenseman?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Fair value, but why do the Canadiens (with 11 draft picks in 2024 and 10 in 2025) trade Xhekaj for a 2nd-round pick, a 3rd-round pick, and a 33-year-old defenseman?

Why would Canadiens trade him in the first place? For a young team, I would keep Xhekaj for protection if not for anything else.

But if you are trading him, then the type of value proferred by Ottawa is the type I see happening with so many teams up to cap space. I don't see a first being dealt for Arber despite what some in the Habs media are saying. I think that's more wishful thinking.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Because those extra picks are way down the picking order.
2024 as of today picks are 12, 58, 72 and 77. Not thrilled about the three 7th rounders to be honest.
Chi will have drafted 7 guys before Habs get their 3rd. And they have Bedard already. Arizona is loaded with early picks.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Why would Canadiens trade him in the first place? For a young team, I would keep Xhekaj for protection if not for anything else.
The only way the Habs trade Xhekaj is as part of a package, or a deal that's too good to be true. Otherwise there is no reason to trade him.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Because those extra picks are way down the picking order.
2024 as of today picks are 12, 58, 72 and 77. Not thrilled about the three 7th rounders to be honest.
Chi will have drafted 7 guys before Habs get their 3rd. And they have Bedard already. Arizona is loaded with early picks.
The Canadiens have one second-round pick and a 3rd-round pick in 2024. They also have two picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-round in 2025. Unless we're talking about guys who will not be a part of the Canadiens' future (Allen, Savard, Pearson), 2nd and 3rd-round picks are not all that interesting.

Xhekaj + Primeau + 2nd rd pick​

Change that to Harris, Allen, and a 2nd-round pick.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
They dont have lots of draft picks: Next 3 drafts 1 extra first, 1 extra 2nd. Other teams (Ariz comes to mind) have way more.
If you can get a first for him you take it. But you dont shop him.
You waive useless Pezzeta, get a real tough lw on the cheap and enjoy the first.

They may not have a lot of high draft picks but they have lots of picks and I’m sure more will come if everyone that might be moved can stay healthy which admittedly doesn’t look good. What tough winger that can play a regular shift are you thinking about? The other night watching the Sabres laying the body and roughing up the Habs wouldn’t have happened as often as it did if Arber was in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad