Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
But, Arber crosschecked him and stood back with an invitation to go and he ignored it. It was a telling moment for me.

Reaves did basically the same thing last year. Reaves hit Guhle from behind and Arber fought him briefly. Arber was ready to go for a 2nd round, Reaves declined.​

• Love
Reactions: OldCraig71

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
They had a bull in a China shop and completely neutered him

You're going to blame his 0 IQ plays on the coaching staff? He looks like he doesn't know what to do in almost every situation. He's been awful.

I hope he turns out because we need that toughness but he seems to be processing on some lousy hardware. I hope I'm wrong.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You're going to blame his 0 IQ plays on the coaching staff? He looks like he doesn't know what to do in almost every situation. He's been awful.

I hope he turns out because we need that toughness but he seems to be processing on some lousy hardware. I hope I'm wrong.
He looked better 2 years ago is what I am saying. Perhaps the league adjusted to him and he is not able to keep up. He hasn't been good enough

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
They had a bull in a China shop and completely neutered him
He's constantly getting beat by players going to the outside. His lack of footspeed is what's most glaring right now. You can make excuses all you want but MSL has defended his antics this season, and I doubt him being ''neutered'' is what makes him so slow out there.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He's constantly getting beat by players going to the outside. His lack of footspeed is what's most glaring right now. You can make excuses all you want but MSL has defended his antics this season, and I doubt him being ''neutered'' is what makes him so slow out there.
He has regressed for sure.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
He looked better 2 years ago is what I am saying. Perhaps the league adjusted to him and he is not able to keep up. He hasn't been good enough

Yeah but nobody neutered him. Him being this bad is a bad sign but he's the one to blame.

Imagine he was playing this poorly but he'd tack on 2-3 minor penalties you have to kill. That can't happen. That's not neutering anyone.

Reactions: MonkeyBusiness

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
This mentality that he doesn't need to fight and throw open ice hits because he's a good hockey player is so flawed.

That style of play is the only reason he's currently playing the NHL. The best guys know and embrace their role.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He needs his sawg back.

But he’s coming off back-to back shoulder surgery on both of them. Thats not easy. Remember how Caufield looks like shit and desengaged last season after having that dame surgery.

Give him time to find his groove again. He will.

Jul 6, 2016
He needs his sawg back.

But he’s coming off back-to back shoulder surgery on both of them. Thats not easy. Remember how Caufield looks like shit and desengaged last season after having that dame surgery.

Give him time to find his groove again. He will.
Maybe his shoulders are still hurting. And the pre-season games did not help him at all. But he has so much to learn on D. The problem: they can’t send him down to Laval because fans would be outraged and Xhekaj himself would be very pissed off.

Time to put Struble in that line up.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
He's still very young for a dman but so far it's been pretty evident to me that he's struggled against teams that play with more pace while having success against those who try to be more physical.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I love the guy but he's getting exposed out there. He's a number 6 on a bad team. I'm not sure he's around when we "get good" unless he gets a lot more reliable. At this point, I'm worried he's one bad fight from the fans turning on him.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
It’s not the fans turning on him, it’s the posters in here and the French media.

Most fans love the guy and his story. They enjoy his rugged style and his ability to defend his teammates.

He has to be better, but he’s far from the biggest issue on the team. Like light years. The first line being awful, the other lines being worse, the majority of the defense, those are far more important than Xhekaj. And he’s clearly not playing on the edge like he has to, in order to be effective, which I’m sure is being ordered from both the league and the team.

But he’s the new designated fall guy and I’m sure he’ll be run out of town in short order. It’s simply the way it is here in Montreal. I don’t think we should consider moving him, but I do think he needs a coach that will allow him to do more and play to his strengths.

Our current “system” is nonexistent and that’s the reason most of our young defensemen continue to struggle.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Of all the duds on the team this year and peeps are ripping on 5-6 dman lol.

First of all you rip on everyone more than anybody else. Is this post satire? What about all the times you've ripped Barron?

Secondly we're ripping on him because he's getting burned in all situations. He's objectively worse than Barron ever has been, he gets killed off the rush, he can't seem to break up a cycle, he misses hits all the time, his breakout passes have been horrendous and he hasn't even been mean clearing the front of the net.

He constantly doesn't rotate onto his proper coverage, like every single shift. I'm wondering outside of fighting, which I love him for, what does this guy do well? His shot is a nice tool if he could get it off and on target, but that's a rare event.

He was a glaring factor in the loss tonight. He has to pick up that man in the high slot on the second goal to make sure he can't get a clean tip. He didn't. He literally is just standing there. He got blasted off the rush multiple times tonight, he's been absolutely awful

If I had a dollar for every time this guy has made a zero IQ play this season I'd buy this site. That isn't hyperbole.

I really have high hopes for the guy cause I want the nuclear deterrent in the lineup, but at this point the mainboard posters calling him just a goon haven't been wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad