Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Sounds like a lack of communication... which is the main complaint Russian guys have of NHL/AHL. Likewise North Americans in KHL.

When you're in a totally foreign environment it's sooo much easier to thrive when you know what the short/long term expectations are, the reasons behind decisions being made, where one's place in the organization is, etc. Otherwise you just feel lost.... especially with a language barrier.
In fairness, Flyers organization coaches don’t communicate with any players, regardless of country of origin.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I know there's not exactly a glut of Russian AHL veterans floating around North America, but Hershey signed Dmitry Osipov (who's been in NA about a decade or so) pretty much solely to help Ivan Miroshnichenko and Bogdan Trineyev adjust here and by all accounts, it paid off in spades.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Can't blame the kid. Comes over here and ends up alone in LV. No offense to the people that live there but it's not on the usual American tour. He should have been kept in Philly where there are Russian teammates and worked out here. If this goes badly, it's the greatest mess up with Russian players since Bobrovsky was in town. He should be here getting acclimated to NA- language lessons, work in NHL rinks, finding a suitable place to live and some friends.

Bob was pretty open about how hard it was to not speak English and have to take the stress of the position in isolation.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this team has learned a single thing from their experiences in 40 years.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Eagerly awaiting the turd polishing that the authentics will do for this one.

I'm guessing either they turn on him ("Good riddance, I don't want someone with terrible attitude on my team") or they just downplay it ("Who cares he sucks anyways").
or the "Jonesy" he didn't want to be here mantra

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
How many examples do we need? This is another egregious one of “tough it out, be a f***ing flyer”.
100%. And that is why we freak out about depth player signings and public praisings of shitty vets and scratchings/demotions of good young players. They all speak to a larger systemic problem in this organization which is its way outdated core philosophy on how they treat players. They have to be "uncomfortable" and any kind of complaint is "weakness".

19 year olds today are a totally different breed...and they cant get that through their thick orange skulls. We live in a would where kids out of college demand things from their employer that a 20 year employee wouldnt dare ask for. Andif they dont get it? THey walk. Love it, hate it, whatever...its reality.

Bottom line is Cutter and Kolosov are just the beginning of young talent wanting out if these dinosaurs dont start adjusting.

And they wont...bc that would mean not being "a f***in flyer".

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fedotov screwed up everything, otherwise they might have brought Kolosov to Philly and roomed him with Zamula. Probably should have kept Kolosov in Philly and let him hang around the team if they weren't going to start him in LHV.

They just don't have Russians in the minor league system, and given geopolitics, probably not good idea to room him with a Finn (Tuomaala).

Let him play in the KHL, then bring him over with Zavragin/Pautov.

I don't think Fedotov getting a NHL job ahead of him is an issue, Fedotov is 6 years older and has paid his dues. But Allentown isn't exactly a garden spot, and being alone in a hotel without a Russian speaker . . . should have found him a cute interpreter, but not too many in NE Pennsylvania.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The Flyers and their bs culture need to buried once and for all. I’m so tired of hearing about the “storied” history of this franchise. Here’s the history since the start of the 21st century:
The messy end of the Lindros era
The ugly end of Bill Barber’s coaching stint
Clarke all but quitting on the team during the 2006 offseason followed by a complete disaster of a season
The poor handling of Lavi at the end
The Bryz contract which cost them Bobrovsky
Hextall to Fletcher to Briere
Hak to Gordon to AV to Yeo to Torts
Hayes and Ristolainen
Bungling Cutter
Bungling the 24 draft
And now bungling Kolosov

Oh, and lets not forget, missing the playoffs 9 of 23 seasons including 8 of the last 12 and, in the other 14, out in the first round 7 times.

There is no defending the Philadelphia Flyers.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I dont know why they would not put him up with Gurianov or Fedotov since both were probably also in same situation... and just have him commute...

or at least room him with someone else a similar age if that was not an option.

They weren’t in Allentown.

This is also quite rare to have happen

Reactions: BiggE and Appleyard

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
They all messed this up. However this guy was the hands on fellow with Kolosov in LHV. Supposedly he is noted for player development on and off of the ice. Recently received an extension for his good work in this area. Are you kidding me!
For this **** up alone he should be given his walking papers. That's before one looks at his W/L, playoff record. If I had the power to can anyone in the organization, I don't know who I would boot first, Flahr or this guy. Right now it would be Lappy. This Kolosov stuff simply can't be allowed to happen and is probably not an isolated example of incompetence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad