Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
One can be a good goalie prospect without being special.
A special goalie has some leverage, but even the Preds goalie is still struggling to get out of there.

Kolosov has done nothing special so far, enough to keep developing him, not enough to bend over backwards for him.

Flyers want him in LHV so he can adjust to NA game, they're not bringing him over from the KHL to dump one of their goalies and make him a NHL backup unless he's suddenly lights out in Russia. Like Fedotov dominating the KHL playoffs.

Fedotov had 1 great playoff in the KHL, surrounded by a career of mediocrity. And it’s not like he carried CSKA to the title either. Sergei Fedorov had that team playing like a machine.

If the Flyers are in a re-build it makes no sense to prioritize a 27 year old Fedotov over Kolosov.
Start Ersson and rotate Kolosov and Peterson as NHL back-up/AHL starters.
Me thinks Kolosov would be in North America ASAP if this was the arrangement.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One can be a good goalie prospect without being special.
A special goalie has some leverage, but even the Preds goalie is still struggling to get out of there.

Kolosov has done nothing special so far, enough to keep developing him, not enough to bend over backwards for him.

Flyers want him in LHV so he can adjust to NA game, they're not bringing him over from the KHL to dump one of their goalies and make him a NHL backup unless he's suddenly lights out in Russia. Like Fedotov dominating the KHL playoffs.

Ah yes truly the Flyers remain blameless despite being the common denominator in players becoming disgruntled

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think Kolosov will be worried by the threat of having his contract tolled, because by the time he's 23 or even 24 he'll feel like the Flyers would want him in the NHL anyway. To replace whichever of Fedotov or Ersson busts over the next year or two.

At a certain point, however, Kolosov needs to be a professional. If we wants to go home another year and accept having the second year of his ELC tolled for being in breach of his contract, so be it. If a KHL team wants to once again show no regard for its non-inteferference agreement with the NHL for validly contracted players, that bridge will have to be crossed again. But the player and his new agent have to know that the Flyers will not loan Kolosov again, won't trade him (there's very limited, if any, trade value at present), and won't mutually terminate his contract.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Gauthier demanding a trade because the Flyers suggested he might spend time in the AHL. Michkovs camp making it clear a demotion to the AHL would have him return to Russia. 3 weeks in the AHL and Kolosov wants out.

Young players are realizing the AHL is a trash league and the phantoms are a poorly coached team.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Gauthier demanding a trade because the Flyers suggested he might spend time in the AHL. Michkovs camp making it clear a demotion to the AHL would have him return to Russia. 3 weeks in the AHL and Kolosov wants out.

Young players are realizing the AHL is a trash league and the phantoms are a poorly coached team.
Dont thik that has anythign to do with it.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The minors are what they are. It's what happens to players that are not good enough make it in the show. These types of players are being given a chance to work on their game and perhaps get another shot at proving that they belong at the next level.
Now with the Flyers, the coaching of these guys is a serious issue and that's on them. The players there need to be groomed for improvement by people that have the skill to handle that. Not old drinking buddies of upper management or former players given jobs in the retirement for past performances.
The A does have a reputation of being a trash league where unnecessary knuckle draggers hang out. It's not as bad as it once was but there is room for improvement. Again that's on the Flyers. They should demand that the changes required to turn the league into a true development league be made. There must be other clubs that feel this way. If the A doesn't clean up its act, then these clubs should get together and form a league of their own.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The minors are what they are. It's what happens to players that are not good enough make it in the show. These types of players are being given a chance to work on their game and perhaps get another shot at proving that they belong at the next level.
Now with the Flyers, the coaching of these guys is a serious issue and that's on them. The players there need to be groomed for improvement by people that have the skill to handle that. Not old drinking buddies of upper management or former players given jobs in the retirement for past performances.
The A does have a reputation of being a trash league where unnecessary knuckle draggers hang out. It's not as bad as it once was but there is room for improvement. Again that's on the Flyers. They should demand that the changes required to turn the league into a true development league be made. There must be other clubs that feel this way. If the A doesn't clean up its act, then these clubs should get together and form a league of their own.
They limit the number of veterans who can dress. If you look at the Phantoms roster, there are a half dozen veterans who play and the rest are prospects or marginal young players.

If Kolosov is worried about competing with Peterson, good riddance. I mean it would take 5 minutes of Google time to realize Peterson was a salary dump the Flyers have buried in the AHL, and that Kolosov, if he's any good, would play ahead of him.

I think a simpler explanation is that Kolosov is playing for Minsk, the capital of Belarussia, making a NHL entry salary. That's a great life (a KHL salary would probably be 1/3 of what the Flyers are paying). Flyers were honest with him, they lent him for one season with the understanding he'd come over this year and play in the AHL. He's not good enough right now to backup in the NHL. He's probably angling to get his cake and eat it too (stay in Minsk for another season on an ELC salary).

If Kolosov was traded to a team in Russia, he'd probably be on the next plane to America.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I don’t think the AHL is a trash league but there is no doubt it’s a shit show in Lehigh Valley

Reactions: orangey

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
They limit the number of veterans who can dress. If you look at the Phantoms roster, there are a half dozen veterans who play and the rest are prospects or marginal young players.

If Kolosov is worried about competing with Peterson, good riddance. I mean it would take 5 minutes of Google time to realize Peterson was a salary dump the Flyers have buried in the AHL, and that Kolosov, if he's any good, would play ahead of him.

I think a simpler explanation is that Kolosov is playing for Minsk, the capital of Belarussia, making a NHL entry salary. That's a great life (a KHL salary would probably be 1/3 of what the Flyers are paying). Flyers were honest with him, they lent him for one season with the understanding he'd come over this year and play in the AHL. He's not good enough right now to backup in the NHL. He's probably angling to get his cake and eat it too (stay in Minsk for another season on an ELC salary).

If Kolosov was traded to a team in Russia, he'd probably be on the next plane to America.
With the number of teams that used three goalies last season, if Kolosov came over and played well, there's a good chance that he would be up with the Flyers for some games this coming year. IMO, either he's an idiot or getting very bad advice from his advisors.

Reactions: orangey

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Merit as the the sole factor in the coach's decisions is a rather large assumption.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Maybe he's worried about competing with Lappy and the Flyers and an outdated, inbred philosophy of "earning" it. You act like Peterson didn't play ahead of him just last season.

Of course, there's always the possibility that he is a spy, and that's why he's nervous.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The simpler explanation is what's already been reported: he's homesick and isolated, and the Flyers didn't do much of anything to help alleviate that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It takes even less Googling to notice the Flyers didn't treat Petersen like a salary dump in the AHL but did allow him to interfere with prospect playing time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It takes even less Googling to notice the Flyers didn't treat Petersen like a salary dump in the AHL but did allow him to interfere with prospect playing time.
Peterson played ahead of Sandstrom, who was no longer a prospect.

They made it clear he was just in the AHL to get a feel for NA hockey, they weren't planning on playing him last season.

Allentown isn't a garden spot, but it's less than 2 hours from NY and 2 hours from Philly.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Peterson played ahead of Sandstrom, who was no longer a prospect.

They made it clear he was just in the AHL to get a feel for NA hockey, they weren't planning on playing him last season.

Allentown isn't a garden spot, but it's less than 2 hours from NY and 2 hours from Philly.

Petersen played ahead of Kolosov.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Petersen played ahead of Kolosov.
I have legitimately no problem with them slow playing Kolosov in the hopes of getting him 65% of the starts this season. I actually liked their plan to loan him, and get him over here in the Spring just to get acclimated.

No problem with that whatsoever.

Did they tell him that? I’d hope so lol.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Cement head Lappy was playing for his coaching life. He went with the trusted vet in Cal. Who had bad numbers. I do not fault him in a sense, this is where the GM needs to step in and say Kolosov plays. AHL is about development, no?

How do you know the Flyers were honest with him? I have zero faith or confidence in FLyers management.

Also were you not high on him a few months ago? Seems now the tune/company line has changed it seems.

With the number of teams that used three goalies last season, if Kolosov came over and played well, there's a good chance that he would be up with the Flyers for some games this coming year. IMO, either he's an idiot or getting very bad advice from his advisors.
Plus, not like Sam and Ivan are established. The opportunity is def there if he does his part. More to this story than just homesick to me.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looking at the play of LHV prospects last season, they're being coached well.

The real problem in LHV were the AHL veterans, Laczynski couldn't stay healthy, Brooks was a disappointment, Garrett Wilson and Allison were mediocre, Marody was good on the PP but a liability 5x5 (too slow for center), Mete has never regained his early career flash.

They've brought in Abols, Eklind, Rizzo, Richard. Hopefully that will upgrade the forwards.

When someone like Ginning, who is a limited talent, doesn't embarrass himself in his NHL cameo, you know they're teaching the basics.

I suspect it's more about the assistant coaches and the development staff, but the results are fine.
You just can't expect your AHL coaches to turn marginal talents into stars.

• Wow
Reactions: trostol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad