Bomoseen, Vermont
IMG_0277.jpeg

Merry Christmas you goons.

IMG_0279.jpeg

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Japan rocked by a huge (mag-7.4) earthquake 2 hours ago. They’re apparently urging everyone to evacuate from a suspected Tsunami. They’re going to need a lot of help. I wonder if China sends some aid. Hopefully there’s no further devastation.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sounds like it has been downgraded to a 3. Initial estimates weren't accurate. They also lowered the tsunami warning. Still scary, but not as bad at all.

• Love
Reactions: x Tame Impala

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
New year new me. Starting things off with dry January, no booze and no weed. Getting more and more used to it every day. The plan is to have read 6 books and get down to a fit 170’lbs this time next year.
I've lost 45lbs, quit smoking (though still vaping with nicotine concentration around 25mg) and given up almost all carbs and 99% of sugar. I'm not giving up my whiskey or weed. :laugh:

Good for you, though, man. :thumbu:

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I only drink on special occasions (and gave up beer 3 years ago so only liquor and/or mixed drinks). Gave up sugar last year. Gave up smoking 3 years ago. Lost 80 pounds in the span of 3 years. I gained like 20 of that back recently thanks to Thanksgiving, Christmas dinners etc. :laugh: but yea it's a game changer.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Football coaching and then the holiday season doesn’t help me. Too much drinking and bad eating going on. Up twenty five pounds. Going for a long sober streak myself and already restricting and eating like a normal human.

Gym is back in action also. So another month I should be dropping down.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Gave up drinking as well, but doing so as I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and it's not like I get enjoyment from it anymore without a sense of taste. Trying to lose weight this year, too. Down 9 lbs so far, am hoping to be in the ballpark of 180 by year's end (started out the year on the wrong side of 240), but will be damn glad if I get below 200 again.

Been a bad decade weight-wise, especially as in '13 and '14 I managed to get down from 222 lbs to 149 lbs, albeit the low was way too thin.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Gave up drinking as well, but doing so as I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and it's not like I get enjoyment from it anymore. Trying to lose weight this year, too. Down 9 lbs so far, am hoping to be in the ballpark of 180 by year's end (started out the year on the wrong side of 240), but will be damn glad if I get below 200 again.

Been a bad decade weight-wise, especially as in '13 and '14 I managed to get down from 222 lbs to 149 lbs, albeit the low was way too thin.

No need to fully give it up if you didn't actually want to. Pretty much most spirits are still available to you, and there are a bunch of different beers out now that are highly drinkable, but low in carbs.

Lagunitas day time IPA is only 3 carbs per can. Any light beer is mostly ok. Just about any spirit is ok because there is no sugar or carbs in most of them. My go-to regular beer these days has been Michelob Ultra. Like 2.6 carbs per beer, and actually has decent flavor, and also the Lagunitas stated above.

Only mentioning it in case you actually do get some enjoyment from it still. I was diagnosed diabetic in October. Three days before my 39th bday, of course. Doc said it's basically my genetics and I couldn't really do much to change it.(I had already quit smoking and started losing weight prior to the diagnosis as I was like you and diagnosed pre-diabetic about 18 months before that) My Dad, two uncles, both grandmas, among others all had it. Both sides of the family. Hell, I have cousins that were born with it.

Feel the best I've felt in years after cutting out all sugar and 90% of my carb intake. Essentially on a modified carnivore diet. High protein, high fiber, lots of green veggies. Weight is just melting off by doing that. And I'm still getting to enjoy the occasional couple drinks or beers during a game, or family gatherings/special occasions.

In 3 months since diagnosis I've actually lowered my A1C to pre-diabetic levels. My average blood sugar over the past 90 days is around 114. And I plan on keeping that train rolling. Would ideally like to put it in remission and get off the tablet I'm taking for it. My goal is to get down to 210-215lbs. That would be my 18 year old HS graduation playing weight, and when I was in the best shape of my life. I could probably go anywhere from 200-215 and feel good about it. Weighed in at 233 this morning. Not much left to go.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, it honestly does nothing for me without a sense of taste at this point. Closest thing I got to enjoying anything alcohol-wise over the past three years was thinking that home-mixed shandies and whiskey sours or a frozen margarita had nice mouth textures, but that ain't worth it.

Barring my taste coming back, my assumption is that I'll only have a single digit number of drinks in any given year moving forward, and on the low-end of that, too.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, it honestly does nothing for me without a sense of taste at this point. Closest thing I got to enjoying anything alcohol-wise over the past three years was thinking that home-mixed shandies and whiskey sours or a frozen margarita had nice mouth textures, but that ain't worth it.

Barring my taste coming back, my assumption is that I'll only have a single digit number of drinks in any given year moving forward, and on the low-end of that, too.
Forgot you lost your taste and still don't have it back. Sorry man.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, all good. I'm mostly used to it other than occassional pangs when I remember I can't look forward to eating something anymore.

Remembering that I can't really enjoy Papa Del's anymore hit like a brick 2ish years back.

Oh well, still can enjoy textures, so that's about 1.5% of the pleasure of food remaining.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Eh, all good. I'm mostly used to it other than occassional pangs when I remember I can't look forward to eating something anymore.

Remembering that I can't really enjoy Papa Del's anymore hit like a brick 2ish years back.

Oh well, still can enjoy textures, so that's about 1.5% of the pleasure of food remaining.

Is there anything that they can do? That would be absolutely miserable.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Long story short, probably not. I know that there's some post-covid research being done in taste as I'm not unique, and there have been some quack claims about ways to restore taste, but we're basically in a wait and see mode for if there's any meaningful breakthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad