Any Number you shouldn't be?

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
Hi Speedster

Thanks for dropping by, taking time out from your busy schedule to treat us to your words of wisdom.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2010. I hope you win that Nobel Peace Prize this year. You deserve it...I thought you should have been given a little more consideration last year...

What can I say, I've still got much love for my mentally challenged brothers :)

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
the only thing worse than guys wearing famous numbers (99,66 etc)...

are the douchebags who waste minutes of their lives worrying about the guy/girl wearing said number

seriously.. there's hunger, disease, crime and yet the biggest worry that some of us have is a guy wearing a famous number? really? we want that much control over someone's life?

oy vey:shakehead

How many guys on the bench are worrying about Sudan between shifts?

mememe000

Dec 31, 2009
When people wear 99 it drives me nuts. Anything else is fine. Doesn't matter what sport.

wearethegreek

Sep 27, 2009
New Jersey
Bender
Someone who can't skate well. Refers to someone that bends their ankles when they skate. source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_terminology

Bender: A bender is a player with poor skating ability. A bender typically skates with his ankles at a bent angle. source:http://www.helium.com/items/964048-a-beginners-guide-to-ice-hockey-terminology

You sound ridiculous when you chirp something that doesn't even make sense. I.E. calling someone a bender for wearing a certain number.

Bender is a robot.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I was thinking about this thread today and realized I dont really equate numbers to anyone in particular unless they are on the actual jersey of the team they played for, except 99 to a degree I guess.

But for instance, I'd never think twice of someone wearing 8 (even with yellow laces) unless its on a Caps jersey. Likewise, 87 on anything other than a Penguins jersey means nothing to me.

I play in an adult league that most teams use pro jerseys due to ease of getting them. I dont think anything of 66 on our Team USA, but think its silly on the Penguins team. They actually have a 66, 68 and 87. No one on the Caps team uses 8 though.

But I guess its just a way of thinking. Unless its on the appropriate jersey, I dont really equate the numbers. Only one I hate, on any team, is 69 cause its just such a juvenile thing to do.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I think "hate" is to strong a word. The only thing i can say i "hate" is when guys flop.

In my league chirping is a big part of the game and wearing certain numbers, tinted visors, coloured laces etc etc just give guys ammo to chirp ya.

Thats all it really comes down to for me .

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I think "hate" is to strong a word. The only thing i can say i "hate" is when guys flop.

In my league chirping is a big part of the game and wearing certain numbers, tinted visors, coloured laces etc etc just give guys ammo to chirp ya.Thats all it really comes down to for me .

and isnt that really the point from the op, "what #'s am I going to catch hell for?" the rest of the debate is stupid. Im gonna chirp you for any flaw I can find even in beer league. Why, because I want you thinking about me and not the game. I couldnt tell you how many guys have missed opportunities because they are paying attention to me. I even had a guy get mad at me for telling his tendy "good save" got a good crosscheck in the head for that one. he got a game for intent to injure. goalie was laughing because we knew each other. hello 5 min pp. the funniest thing is Im busting balls and laughing and guys still get mad. its supposed to be fun boys, our best days are behind us lighten up.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Embarrassing myself? Hardly. If the best one can come up with is bender and use it for everything and anything, they are embarrassing themselves. How about a little creativity with your chirps.

BTW I volunteer with a NAHL team and have never heard any of them use the term "bender".

how about "ankle bender" that's what it was called when i played competetive.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Lots of love for Lemeiux and Gretzky, but none for Orr? For shame.

growing up in mites/squirts whatever, most teams only have numbers 1-13 or whatever, so 9, 4, even 8 are going to be used.later when we have the coice and a guy goes out of his way to choose a crazy number like 67 or to copy gretzky with 99....he better be real good, or he will be called "bender". or a sled.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If you get 99 or 69, you are automatically a bender.

66, 87, or 8 will lead to 50% of the guys thinking your a bender.

I don't think 8 counts, as a lot of teams will have sweaters numbered 1-25 or something. It's not like someone very obviously went out of their way to get that numbmer like they would have with 87 or whatever.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I don't think 8 counts, as a lot of teams will have sweaters numbered 1-25 or something. It's not like someone very obviously went out of their way to get that numbmer like they would have with 87 or whatever.

uhh.....MANY people go out of there way to get that number (psst....OV).

hence, like i said, not everyone will think you are a bender compared to 99 or 69.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I agree with a lot, but 99 and 66 are no doubt no-go's. I see a lot of people wear 87 and get crap because of Crosby, but I don't think it's a problem if you're wearing it because it's your birth year.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
uhh.....MANY people go out of there way to get that number (psst....OV).

hence, like i said, not everyone will think you are a bender compared to 99 or 69.

sometimes I ask for it if it's available because it's part of my birthday. when I see #8 on a 40 year old I don't think he's an OVie fan-boy.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Lecavalier wore #8 when he broke in.

In any case, most of this thread cracks me up. Maybe it's from growing up playing other sports in addition to hockey, but I've never seen anyone in another sport go out there and say, "He's wearing the distinctive number of a great player! I must go defend that player's honor by taking a shot at this pseudo-great!"

True, I forgot about that. Still, at the time, the wide assumption at the time was that he'd get 4 right away. Vinny having to wear any other number was considered a surprise. The great Cory Cross had it at the time, and Cross' status, like his number, was subject to interpretation and management's whim.

The change to 8 did give me a brief reprieve (he only wore it 1 season), but the known intention, and especially the change itself to 4 was where I started getting problems.

That was like a thousand years ago anyway. What's one season? :p:

I had left this out of the original post, but the guy I got 4 from had chosen it because of Bobby Orr, so by the transitive property, I was also wearing it because of Bobby.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
and isnt that really the point from the op, "what #'s am I going to catch hell for?" the rest of the debate is stupid. Im gonna chirp you for any flaw I can find even in beer league. Why, because I want you thinking about me and not the game. I couldnt tell you how many guys have missed opportunities because they are paying attention to me. I even had a guy get mad at me for telling his tendy "good save" got a good crosscheck in the head for that one. he got a game for intent to injure. goalie was laughing because we knew each other. hello 5 min pp. the funniest thing is Im busting balls and laughing and guys still get mad. its supposed to be fun boys, our best days are behind us lighten up.

Yeah well I think I got angry recently in a beer league game because some mutt dove for a penalty call. I didn't even touch him .... I yapped at him all the way to the box and even his team mates told him he was a tool for doing that.

Some guys take beer league like there are scouts in the damned seats. Those days are gone by folks as stated above here, no need to elbow people or slash guys in the ankles who have to work the next day.

I've taken the one game suspension for punching people who deserve it for being meatheads to other players. The last time was for a rout we were on the wrong side of and a guy scored a goal from the blueline with a simple wristshot (our goalie sucked AND was having a terrible night) and the guy was laughing and doing a goal dance and generally showing poor sportsmanship.

Actually 4 of us out there went after him but I was there first.

Some guys are just senseless classless morons.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
There are tons of good choices outside of the obvious ones that'll get you chirped. I wear #12 for Staal and Iggy. I recommend picking a number based on what players you idol, or someone you compare your game to, or want to play like.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
If Gretzky and Lemieux wore numbers like 17 or 8, I don't think it would be as big of a deal, however they have unique numbers. As an example I don't think people give quarterbacks crap for wearing #16.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
HF68, the irony of your post is killer.

Was awesome :nod:

PS This not a bash or insult at HF68, i would/have done the same thing. Just pointing out the deadliness of the irony.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad