Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This year, and he is no way a surer bet to convert over the next 2 years over Toffoli (both at ES and especially overall).

Edit: This is their best shot to accrue talent with max cap flexibility. They don't seem eager to squander it by locking down 3rd line talent to term.

The literal road to ruin in the cap era has been handing out $5-6 million AAV contract with term to Toffoli-level 50-something point 2nd liners when they're 30-32 years old. These sorts of deals have traditionally been the OPPOSITE of accruing talent relative to cap space. 2024 Toffoli is basically 2016 Loui Eriksson in terms of profile - a slow 31 y/o player coming off a good 'on-paper' season that had a lot of red flags when you looked deeper.

The problem is that Joshua is not a 3rd line talent. He was a legit 2nd line player last year, both in the regular season and in the playoffs.

The other thing is that you're paying Joshua $millions less than Toffoli so you're basically free to add another solid middle-6 player if you choose Joshua over Toffoli in that scenario.

That's why if we don't land Guentzel, I would prefer the trade route for a winger to play with EP. Even if we have to pay a first and/or Lekkerimaki for the right return. Necas or Konecny( would pay alot if he came with an extension) for example. You would pay more in aquisition and cap, but wouldn't be worried about decline in the near future. Hopefully can get Mikheyev included in the trade like Ottawa was able to do with Korpisalo.

Agreed 100%.

If you can't land a Guentzel, I'm *far* more comfortable trading Hoglander/Lekkerimaki/picks etc. for an age 24-27 type player who fits the group than I am just defaulting to blowing money on old UFAs.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i come by to vote no to guentzel again. i want the team to have options to buy low as they did this last year, and buying high on guentzel combined with the oel hit next year closes the door on that for the foreseeable window of this core. we will become the recent leafs or the oilers, forever scrimping and gambling and holding our noses trying to assemble enough depth to support the core to a cup.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You just wanted to shut down my Mathieu Joseph talk!
LOL

Yes point well taken in regards to his forecheck and F1 ability. If things flame out with Joshua or maybe even they think he can work with Miller Boeser i would be for giving him a shot.

As it stands though Joshua has much better hands IQ and playmaking and i would rather him at or near Joseph's pay. Suter works and is cheap also so without losing Joshua i don't see a role that makes sense. Defense and top6 plus Joshua are all bigger priorities for our dollars

Reactions: MS and Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Im almost certain that if Joshua would except 3-3.25 it would be done. At that money he falls into line with comps that even have more track record and less support than Garland but i think Allvin does see his value with Garland and stand alone enough to be fair to someone who needs to make this contract count. Agree @alternate they are looking for the Marchment deal at the moment which is absurd but given his career earnings you cant blame him.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
The leafs and oilers were bad because they get ventilated defensively and don’t play a tight team game with constant puck pressure. However, the oilers turned a corner after hiring Knoblauch and almost won the cup.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
LOL

Yes point well taken in regards to his forecheck and F1 ability. If things flame out with Joshua or maybe even they think he can work with Miller Boeser i would be for giving him a shot.

As it stands though Joshua has much better hands IQ and playmaking and i would rather him at or near Joseph's pay. Suter works and is cheap also so without losing Joshua i don't see a role that makes sense. Defense and top6 plus Joshua are all bigger priorities for our dollars

Oh, I'd much much rather have Joshua and would be willing to pay what the Canucks aren't. I just view Joseph as a good enough replacement that should come with a cheap acquisition cost. He's kind of like Suter, with no centre utility though, in that he can slide around the roster and not be out of place. Internal injury insurance is what I like to think of those players as.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i was thinking about joshua and what he is worth. what if garland could get the same chemistry with greenway or mantha? we'd struggle to sign either for what joshua will cost. those are bigger and arguably more talented power forwards but they do not pk and joshua is better defensively than either. i think joshua is more valuable than they are.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
regarding Joshua, management dropped the ball. why werent they more aggressive and tried to sign Joshua earlier in the year before the all star break?

They dragged their feet and will likely lose this player. Its on them.

Actually its this management who signed Mikheyev, if they don't think he's a top 6 forward why sign him 4.75M per year?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

“We’re trying very hard on that one,” Tulsky said. “We are not that far apart. I’m still optimistic it’s going to get done. But it’s not done yet and we’re running out of time.”

There are serious rumblings about the Vancouver Canucks making a pitch (would they be willing to go seven years, $9 million?) and, of course, other teams would get in there Monday. So Guentzel and his agent, Ben Hankinson, have a big decision to make soon enough: Take Carolina’s best offer or go to market while leaving the door open to the Canes?

Pending UFA defenseman Tyler Myers and the Canucks remain in talks, but the sense I get is that things have not progressed on that front despite several weeks of discussions. They’ll chat again this week at the draft, so the door remains open, but there’s just as good of a chance he goes to market Monday at this point.

Reactions: ProviesGhost

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Actually its this management who signed Mikheyev, if they don't think he's a top 6 forward why sign him 4.75M per year?
i think because we were radioactive when that contract was done. milstein might have been the only ufa agent returning their calls.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I like Joshua and all, and I'm convinced by all the arguments about paying him in the 3m range and him being worth that, but at the same time I do wonder about prioritizing someone actually good to play with the Canucks highest paid player in Pettersson and getting the most out that contract. I mean, that has to be the priority, right? You simply can't go into next season with three top-six players, with Pettersson on the Island of Depression and Futility. You won't win a Stanley Cup without Pettersson being at least good, with some hope of him being his best. For that he needs linemates, like pretty much every star player, as well as being better himself.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What about trading Mikhayev for Dvorak with a small retention. Would at least clear 4.45 at the end of this year which would lend itself well for Boeser Hoglander and next off season plus give us C depth. Not sure if he's cooked though. Honestly haven't seen much of Montreal the last couple years but instead of Blueger with term at 2 it's a way to leverage money a different way. Had chemistry with Garland and played for Tocchet

regarding Joshua, management dropped the ball. why werent they more aggressive and tried to sign Joshua earlier in the year before the all star break?

They dragged their feet and will likely lose this player. Its on them.

it takes 2 to tango? why in the hell would Joshua and his agent do this as he approaches UFA on a heater? DJ was on a 20 goal pace by Xmas and was amongst the hit leaders they weren't going to just take what they could get

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
regarding Joshua, management dropped the ball. why werent they more aggressive and tried to sign Joshua earlier in the year before the all star break? They dragged their feet and will likely lose this player. It's on them.
My understanding is that Jim simply, "Ran out of time".

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
well there's a new thing. greenway pk'd for buffalo a lot last year for the first time in his career. more than joshua.

the more you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad