Any Number you shouldn't be?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
If you're playing in beer leagues, there are guaranteed to be some guys there who need to get laid and who haven't been laid since before the NHL lockout.

So since those guys ARE going to be there there, your statement is completely irrelevant.

So the real question then becomes: do you want to be the guy who has to deal with the all hacking, and the cheap shots, and the constant grief that goes along with wearing the numbers that you KNOW are going to bring those responses.

For the umpteen-millionth time.......if you want wear a number, fine! Go ahead! Wear whatever number you want. Just know understand what problems are likely going to be associated with it, both for yourself (if you wear a "sacred" number) or for your team (like wearing a typical goalie number).

That's the whole point of this thread, isn't? That the OP has a question about what jersey numbers represent and the etiquette behind them. Call it stupid if you want, but if one chooses to ignore the standard hockey protocols, one should know what to expect when they do so.

I have not seen any of this chirping/hacking crap in the league I play in. I wear 88(the only sweater left that fit). I have seen 87's, 8's, 66's and nobody in my league says a word about it.

There is no etiquette protocol when concerning jersey numbers. Nothing is sacred.

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
we all pretty much no each other around my league. i know all the good players on the other teams and some of the other guys too so when we, or atleast me, gives someone ****, and i do for wearing a certain number, its just in good fun. its just beer league after all

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
What exactly does wearing a certain number have to do with being a "bender"?

A "bender" is someone who can't skate. There is no correlation between ones skating ability and what number they wear.

You havnt been in organized hockey have you?

PS A "bender" is somone who BENDS their ankles when they skate. Not someone who CANT skate. And it is a very very very common term to chirp anybody for anything in a game of hockey. Just like a duster, bookmark etc etc. It is so common that if you have played ANY form of organized hockey you would know that.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

PS A "bender" is somone who BENDS their ankles when they skate. Not someone who CANT skate. And it is a very very very common term to chirp anybody for anything in a game of hockey. Just like a duster, bookmark etc etc. It is so common that if you have played ANY form of organized hockey you would know that.

Bender
Someone who can't skate well. Refers to someone that bends their ankles when they skate. source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_terminology

Bender: A bender is a player with poor skating ability. A bender typically skates with his ankles at a bent angle. source:http://www.helium.com/items/964048-a-beginners-guide-to-ice-hockey-terminology

You sound ridiculous when you chirp something that doesn't even make sense. I.E. calling someone a bender for wearing a certain number.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Bender
Someone who can't skate well. Refers to someone that bends their ankles when they skate. source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_terminology

Bender: A bender is a player with poor skating ability. A bender typically skates with his ankles at a bent angle. source:http://www.helium.com/items/964048-a-beginners-guide-to-ice-hockey-terminology

You sound ridiculous when you chirp something that doesn't even make sense. I.E. calling someone a bender for wearing a certain number.

guys will get called a "bender" for pretty much anything. wearing a certain #, tinted visor, yellow laces, taping their ankles, flashy skates, old skates. it's just part of the culture. Pros chirp each other with it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
guys will get called a "bender" for pretty much anything. wearing a certain #, tinted visor, yellow laces, taping their ankles, flashy skates, old skates. it's just part of the culture. Pros chirp each other with it.

Bingo. It's not a technical term, but a general purpose insult, usually for guys who are crappy players but think they're pros. Guys who wear tinted visors and yellow laces fall into that category, as do guys who wear numbers like 99 and 66.

Northstars, if you're not familiar with the culture of the sport, it might be wise to avoid embarrassing yourself.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
There are also people out there who enjoy getting chirped at so they have a target for their elbows if they get bored. I wear 22 in honor of Claude Lemieux and Rick Tocchet. My favorite player of all time was Esa Tikkanen, used to wear 10. I think it boils down to what kind of person you are, where you play and what type of league/skill level you're playing at. I've played in SoCal for 16 years and nobody cares what # you are but most of us don't grow up with backyard rinks or the anything hockey culture. If you want to wear 66 I just see that as a guy picking a number. If you think picking a number means you are somehow trying to imitate that particular player then you can go number to number and do the same for every player on the ice. The only automatic ****** number to me is 69. It's funny when you're in high school but when you start getting up there in years, losing the hair and growing the pot belly I don't want to get stuck imagining you and your 200lb wife in sexual positions while I'm playing hockey.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON

I've played up to bantam, high school, beer league, etc. and this is the first time I've heard the term "bender", "bookmark", or "duster" - must either be a regional thing or something relatively recent (I'm 41 years old).

Like a few have said, stick with a low number (other than 1 or 0) if you want to make sure you blend in. Saying that, on the last beer league team I was on we had a #0, and #1 playing forward and I don't think they got any grief from anyone for it. I think the guy with the #0 got his jersey from the goalie who had it as a spare jersey - goalie was #30.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Bingo. It's not a technical term, but a general purpose insult, usually for guys who are crappy players but think they're pros. Guys who wear tinted visors and yellow laces fall into that category, as do guys who wear numbers like 99 and 66.

Northstars, if you're not familiar with the culture of the sport, it might be wise to avoid embarrassing yourself.

Embarrassing myself? Hardly. If the best one can come up with is bender and use it for everything and anything, they are embarrassing themselves. How about a little creativity with your chirps.

BTW I volunteer with a NAHL team and have never heard any of them use the term "bender".

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Embarrassing myself? Hardly. If the best one can come up with is bender and use it for everything and anything, they are embarrassing themselves. How about a little creativity with your chirps.

BTW I volunteer with a NAHL team and have never heard any of them use the term "bender".

I've never heard that term either. Bender means when you go on a drinking spree.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Perhaps it is a regional thing. But where it's used, it's pretty well known.

Also, just because it can be used for everything doesn't mean it is.

As for embarrassing yourself, any time you argue a wikipedia definition for an insulting term you have no knowledge of as authoritative, you look silly.

BTW oldie, they have your walker over at the skate rental counter.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
This is the thing, all of us that played organized hockey are in a "group". We lived the life, we know the terms and we all have a respect for each other that people outside the group wont/cant understand. We have our own language that outsiders simply wont understand. Im an '81 and to be honest, everyone that has played "serious" hockey are my brothers. It is simply a culture that outsiders cant understand. I know that you guys that have gone through the ranks understand what im saying and just going through the system we have a close bond that cant be denied.

That is the great thing about hockey, whether you are American or Canadian, we have all been there done that. We know the way it is, we know another hockey player by just looking at him. We dont have to explain ourselves because we honestly know how it is.

We all know a bender when we see a bender. We all know a Duster when we see a duster and we all have Slayed a Dragon once and a while. ;)

Cpt knows what im saying!

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I've played up to bantam, high school, beer league, etc. and this is the first time I've heard the term "bender", "bookmark", or "duster" - must either be a regional thing or something relatively recent (I'm 41 years old).

It may be relatively new. I've heard it for at least the past decade. I work in the minor pros and run a pro-shop. Guys from the Northeast US, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the west coast and Canadians all throw those terms around liberally....well, with the exception of "bookmark". Don't hear that much.

Bender and Duster are pretty common. Same culture that refers to anything good as "dirty".

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
It may be relatively new. I've heard it for at least the past decade. I work in the minor pros and run a pro-shop. Guys from the Northeast US, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the west coast and Canadians all throw those terms around liberally....well, with the exception of "bookmark". Don't hear that much.

Bender and Duster are pretty common. Same culture that refers to anything good as "dirty".

Bookmark = You seperate the O from the D ie you dont play, basically a duster ie you collect dust on the bench from not playing.

PS I dont want to make it seem that anyone who hasnt played hockey growing up or have just gotten into it are losers or anything, anytime a newb throws the skates on i think it is great. BUT, those of us that have gone through the system have a special relationship. We understand each other because we have been through it. Even you HF68, we do have a bond and can relate to each other even though we both think the other is an idiot :P

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Bookmark = You seperate the O from the D ie you dont play, basically a duster ie you collect dust on the bench from not playing.

PS I dont want to make it seem that anyone who hasnt played hockey growing up or have just gotten into it are losers or anything, anytime a newb throws the skates on i think it is great. BUT, those of us that have gone through the system have a special relationship. We understand each other because we have been through it. Even you HF68, we do have a bond and can relate to each other even though we both think the other is an idiot :P

Haha...never knew that one...ill have to remember it thanks lol. PS...i didnt know many of these as well...I guess being a goalie you kinda become immune to these names and/or out of the loop on it.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Haha...never knew that one...ill have to remember it thanks lol. PS...i didnt know many of these as well...I guess being a goalie you kinda become immune to these names and/or out of the loop on it.

ya, you guys are your own seperate breed ;)

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Numbers shouldn't make a huge difference. I doubt there's anyone here who's game is complete enough that they are seriously upset over a number or piece of equipment. Have an idol? Like a number? Then wear it. My only addition to that is that #69 may appear childish, lol. If anybody is seriously equating your number to your level of play then you've got an advantage over them before even getting on the ice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Numbers shouldn't make a huge difference. I doubt there's anyone here who's game is complete enough that they are seriously upset over a number or piece of equipment. Have an idol? Like a number? Then wear it. My only addition to that is that #69 may appear childish, lol. If anybody is seriously equating your number to your level of play then you've got an advantage over them before even getting on the ice.

I wore 4. I was living near Orlando when Lecavalier was drafted and my number choice drew an assumption of why I was wearing it.

Never mind that it was actually because of Solar Bear defenseman Pat Neaton. I had wanted to be a defenseman, (never got the backwards skating quite down) but the number actually held me back with coaches, who couldn't break their mental association with Lecavalier. I was assumed to be a Lecavalier like player, and sometimes got covered by the other team like one, which was unfair.

Once I realized this, I was able to use it to my advantage.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
the only thing worse than guys wearing famous numbers (99,66 etc)...

are the douchebags who waste minutes of their lives worrying about the guy/girl wearing said number

seriously.. there's hunger, disease, crime and yet the biggest worry that some of us have is a guy wearing a famous number? really? we want that much control over someone's life?

oy vey:shakehead

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
the only thing worse than guys wearing famous numbers (99,66 etc)...

are the douchebags who waste minutes of their lives worrying about the guy/girl wearing said number

seriously.. there's hunger, disease, crime and yet the biggest worry that some of us have is a guy wearing a famous number? really? we want that much control over someone's life?

oy vey:shakehead

Hi Speedster

Thanks for dropping by, taking time out from your busy schedule to treat us to your words of wisdom.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2010. I hope you win that Nobel Peace Prize this year. You deserve it...I thought you should have been given a little more consideration last year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad