Speculation: Any interest in Liljegren for a mid round pick?

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Petry for Liljegren. Maybe a small sweetener.
Both need a new set of fans to get harassed by and we need something to chat about on here.
Also Leafs save some cap and Red Wings get the younger player.
Change of scenery for both. And Petry got bigger chance of winning the....okay maybe not...but he will fit their playing style better.

Last edited:

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I’d like to see the Ducks offer a roster player like Vaakanainen, or Lunderstrom… both similar former 1st round picks in the same age range. We need another RHD.
I'd like a shot at Lundestrom, I think the hope he can turn into a 3C like Backlund, is the same as the hope of Lily turning into a top 4 D like Stralman. Leafs save a little cap as well, to bring someone off LTIR when ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheesymc

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I like a lot of what Treliving has done lately but being complicit in tanking Liljegrens value like this is pretty poor asset management.

Liljegren played 19:40 last year. He had top 4 deployment for the majority of his games. On a good team. As a youngish RHD. At 5v5 he's at least slightly above-average at everything except physical play and has won his minutes with scoring chances and actual goals for his entire career. This is not someone they should be struggling to move if they wanted to but signing him to a multi-year deal before keeping him in the press box to start the year is a great way to tarnish the asset.

Obviously Berube does not like him as he wants a more physical player but then you move him in the offseason before signing him, or just sign him for 1 year and still move him before games start.

Sandin/Liljegren were viewed as similarly valuable when they were on the Leafs and Sandin got a 1st rounder...

Reactions: Rare Jewel

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
He's just not good. He's a $3m player who has at least 3 defensemen on his own team who are better for less. Leafs fans can gaslight themselves about him being a top 4 defenseman all they want. The fact is he is objectively bad.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Leafs fans can gaslight themselves about him being a top 4 defenseman all they want.

I think you'll find very few people anywhere, including Toronto, that seem him as a top 4 defensemen. In fact, in Torontoland the majority of fans are happy he's in the press box.

Lastly, I don't think you understand what "gaslighting" means. A very small minority of fans overestimate his value, sure, but that's not gaslighting themselves.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I think you'll find very few people anywhere, including Toronto, that seem him as a top 4 defensemen. In fact, in Torontoland the majority of fans are happy he's in the press box.

Lastly, I don't think you understand what "gaslighting" means. A very small minority of fans overestimate his value, sure, but that's not gaslighting themselves.

straight from the dictionary:classic gaslighting technique—telling victims that others are crazy and lying, and that the gaslighter is the only source for "true" information. It makes victims question their reality …

In this case Leafs fans and their constantly posted belief that Timmy has played really well in his top 4 stints. "Trust me bro, I watch him play".

Today you learned.

iago

Apr 2, 2024
oh, I wonder if a conditional trade works, say he plays less than 50 games its a 4th, 51-75 1 of the 3rds and if he plays 75-82 its a 2nd?
The way I see it is, if he is playing well enough to play 75+ games then even a 2nd round pick would feel like steal for you guys
Liljigren 50% retained for a bag of pucks and a spare tire for the Zamboni.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I’d like to see the Ducks offer a roster player like Vaakanainen, or Lunderstrom… both similar former 1st round picks in the same age range. We need another RHD.

Lundestrom wouldn't actually be a terrible basis for a swap with Liljegren, if the Leafs did decide they don't need the extra depth on the blueline.

It'd give the Leafs an NHL Center with a little bit of upside. He's more of a 4C with vague 3C upside, rather than the solid #3C they really need...but that isn't too far out of line with the value of Liljegren as a #5/6D with vague #4D upside. Would save the Leafs a bit of cap as well, and the Ducks are in a position to spend a little more cap on a youngish but established NHL RHD.

I feel like Fowler would be a great mentor for someone like Liljegren too. I think if Timothy is going to become anything more than he is now...it'd be developing similarly to the route Fowler took. Similar sort of players and skillset, though obviously to a lesser caliber with Liljegren.

The reservation for me from the Leafs end would be...i like Lundestrom, but he's one of those players who doesn't have any particular standout traits or ~"style"~ of play to hang his hat on. He's another one of those just sort of, "there" players. Where the Leafs already have Holmberg and Jarnkrok who are very much in that mold already. Good depth utility players, but i'd think the Leafs would prefer to go after someone who brings more of an "identity" to their role.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
straight from the dictionary:classic gaslighting technique—telling victims that others are crazy and lying, and that the gaslighter is the only source for "true" information. It makes victims question their reality …

In this case Leafs fans and their constantly posted belief that Timmy has played really well in his top 4 stints. "Trust me bro, I watch him play".

Today you learned.
Congrats you just gaslighted yourself into thinking you coreectly used the term gaslighting. Impressive!

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I still think Lilj has upside, but he's a luxury we can't afford at 3m

I wouldn't just unload him, but a 3rd for him would be fine, or a swap for a similar D making less (whoever mentioned Petry was on the right track, but Petry would still be too high a salary. I'm talking like 1M-ish if we take a D back, otherwise id rather have the cap)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad