Speculation: Any interest in Liljegren for a mid round pick?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
So the Leafs are actively trying to trade him. I can’t imagine there’s a ton of teams interested or that the offers are very good. Especially since most teams couldn’t afford him anyways without sending cap back.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So the Leafs are actively trying to trade him. I can’t imagine there’s a ton of teams interested or that the offers are very good. Especially since most teams couldn’t afford him anyways without sending cap back.

I think the Leafs will do better than most seem to think, young RD, and a lot of his contract was actually paid out in a signing bonus by Toronto.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He’s in a weird spot right now. I think it’s stupid to trade a young RHD for peanuts as they are hard to come by. He won’t get you much though. I think he stills holds value not to trade him as having a RHD even for depth is still good to have. Not playing him much with him in a short lease under Berubé probably isn’t fair to him either though.

I’d say just wait until trade deadline while giving him chances until is the best way to deal with him. Teams can be more flexible with he cap to take him and also add whatever they feel is a need at the deadline. Kinda what Dubas did with Sandin a few years ago.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
‘Liljegren still has plenty of time to develop’

Not sure about that. At 25 and a half he’s running out of time. Other players will pass him on the depth chart.
The fact he didn’t even crack the starting lineup with a new coach is a red flag and means that it wasn’t really Keefe holding him back but rather the player failing to improve in areas that he needed to.
Maybe he didn't make the starting lineup because he's dealing with a nagging injury. No one.

Also, it's not uncommon for guys to break out in their mid to late 20's.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't understand how Liljegren is passed on by the likes of Beniot and Hakanpaa on the leafs depth chart.

RHD are a valuable commodity, JH is often injured, SB is a 6/7.

But yeah sure just give up on him :huh::laugh:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
If the Ducks move Cam Fowler to Edmonton and acquire Liljegren in a separate trade I can see something happening.

??? Why wouldn't the Oilers attempt to obtain both? Liljegren with his speed IMO should be a fit for Edmonton's style of game.

Start dumping futures to get Ducks to take Nurse instead of another off season of lost first rounders. sell the damn farm and get some RFA on the roster to extend the contention window.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
??? Why wouldn't the Oilers attempt to obtain both? Liljegren with his speed IMO should be a fit for Edmonton's style of game.

Start dumping futures to get Ducks to take Nurse instead of another off season of lost first rounders. sell the damn farm and get some RFA on the roster to extend the contention window.
Speed? Lol

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think the Leafs will do better than most seem to think, young RD, and a lot of his contract was actually paid out in a signing bonus by Toronto.
The issue is the Playoff Teams don't really need a $3 million depth DMan that is sitting out for the Leafs (who don't have that great a D core). The non-Playoff teams, sure worth a waiver, but 25 [young but not that young] and a UFA in 2026, and again, not so good that he's sitting out for the Leafs, means he's probably not in any long-term playoffs. A late pick, yeah, but I don't think anyone is sending, say a 3rd round pick just because he's 25 and a RHD.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
...And was 19 when he signed as a free agent.

Because some scouts said he could have been a first rounder, a year after not being drafted at all, doesn't suddenly make him a "top prospect."

That's a ridiculous claim.

1728576414509.png

1728576593328.png

There was a time when Myers was a decently regarded prospect.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
2017 Draft Profile: Liljegren has top-three potential but may drop a bit

Lots of draft rankings said he had top tier speed. IIRC, the older clips I watched of him, he had Kylington like elite speed. It's possible the Leafs deploy a system that limits his speed, but I was always under the understanding he could skate at a blistering fast pace.

Is he honestly that slow now?
He's an average skater at best. Not molasses slow but I'd never ever call him fast.

Part of that is how he processes the game. He doesn't have a quick first steps and he doesn't seem to think the game fast enough to try doing such things.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
View attachment 914671

View attachment 914672

Yeah, I remember being mad when the Flyers picked up Zamula and Myers soon after the Flames training camps and it was regarded as like finding a free first and second round pick. I'm surprised both aren't second pairing mainstays and actually struggling. They showed a surprising bit of promise early on.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why were the Flyers allowed to sign Myers at age 18, what's the CBA provision there? Undrafted players can be signed to ELCs before a season starts, but once the season starts they head into the following draft... or something like that?

Myers is a bit unusual in that respect.. if you look through the Draft in rounds 3+ later, many players taken are ones that were eligible to be taken in the prior draft but went undrafted, and then likely had breakout seasons that warranted a pick as a 2nd time go around. When Andrew Shaw (a 5th round pick) was playing for the Blackhawks, Patrick Kane teased him as being a 19th round pick, because he went undrafted in the two prior years before being selected in his third and final year of draft eligibility. Myers was signed after one go around. He's not a classical undrafted player in that respect (typically 2 or 3 go arounds depending on their birthday being unselected).

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why were the Flyers allowed to sign Myers at age 18, what's the CBA provision there? Undrafted players can be signed to ELCs before a season starts, but once the season starts they head into the following draft... or something like that?

Without digging up the CBA clause, there's a short window where a team could sign a North American (trained) prospect who went undrafted and had remaining draft eligibility. I believe the window closes once the player returns to junior after being a camp invite.

Notably Martin Jones was undrafted in 2008 and impressed the Kings as a camp invite, so they signed him. On the flip side, LA had Radko Gudas as an undrafted camp invite in summer 2009. They would have liked to have signed him, but Gudas hadn't played a full draft season in North America so he was required to go through the 2010 Draft. The North American / European provision caused some confusion among NHL teams when the Flyers / Oilers tried to sign Tomas Hyka and Vladimir Tkachev but had those ELCs rejected by the league.

I vaguely recall that the Sharks used to sign an undrafted guy or two every summer to make up for trading away a bunch of draft picks. Sharks signed Michael Sgarbossa after he went undrafted in 2010 and he'd win the OHL scoring title in 2011-12.

Columbus tried to trade back into the 7th round in 2015 for local kid Kole Sherwood but were unsuccessful. Sherwood went undrafted and Columbus signed him that summer. Sherwood was slated to go to Boston University, but signing the ELC meant that he was now ineligible for the NCAA. So he'd end up going the OHL route. Not sure if he would have stayed with BU had he been drafted.

I have a memory of when the 2011 Draft concluded, a few staffers from various teams rushed into the stands presumably to recruit some undrafted kids to attend their prospect camp.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
View attachment 914671

View attachment 914672

If you can't see a world of difference between being called a "top prospect" and being ranked 44th as 19-year old, I can't really help you.

By the way, that isn't him being ranked 44th in a draft year. He's already in the NHL there and he's ranked 44th. I don't think this proves what you think it proves.

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
not too much out there for trade that is a significant improvement over Holmberg that is A.) in the right cap range and B.) available for Lilj+
Maybe Frost or Laughton from Philly or trade LILj++ for Sharangovich

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
2017 Draft Profile: Liljegren has top-three potential but may drop a bit

Lots of draft rankings said he had top tier speed. IIRC, the older clips I watched of him, he had Kylington like elite speed. It's possible the Leafs deploy a system that limits his speed, but I was always under the understanding he could skate at a blistering fast pace.

Is he honestly that slow now?
Doesn’t look like he’s fast, when compared to the rest of league, same percentile as John Tavares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Figgy44

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If you can't see a world of difference between being called a "top prospect" and being ranked 44th as 19-year old, I can't really help you.

By the way, that isn't him being ranked 44th in a draft year. He's already in the NHL there and he's ranked 44th. I don't think this proves what you think it proves.

Shrug, not sure why you're getting angry about semantics. Pretty sure THN had him #29 after the 2017 WJC. I'm not exactly a Leafs fan or a Phil Myers booster. But if you need to be right, knock yourself out.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
He's an average skater at best. Not molasses slow but I'd never ever call him fast.

Part of that is how he processes the game. He doesn't have a quick first steps and he doesn't seem to think the game fast enough to try doing such things.
As a skater I think Lily is quite fast. I don’t know where this notion of him not being a good skater comes from. He's really good at bringing the puck up the ice and escaping/gaining zones, but like you said, I think it’s his speed of decision making is what brings him down. Doesn’t make plays fast enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad