Player Discussion Anton Forsberg

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I think the Condon/Hammond comparisons are interesting. Although Forsberg didn’t come out of no where as much as they did.

He was drafted late by Columbus, he won a Calder cup with their AHL team as well. Then kind of got thrown around until now. Was on some teams with strong tandems already. Except for Edmonton. Crazy where they could be right now with Forsberg.

I think this could be a late bloom scenario. Kind of like Campbell and Markstrom. I don’t know if he will keep up this play, but if he does we just got a starter.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Craig Anderson also 1st became a starter in his late 20s. It isn't that uncommon for goalies. Anderson and Forsberg's career profiles in their 20s are very similar...
Sadly, Pascal Leclaire and Matt Murray's Sens profiles are also similar.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
sure but by then we will have most likely lost gus on waivers

Gus hasnt been great this year but we are writing him off way too quickly
Losing Gustavsson is a risk.

The other thing is that if Murray gets a game or two before the end of the season (this part might not even be necessary), and enters training camp without an injury, he is going to be on the roster at the beginning of next season and count against the cap, and more importantly for the Senators, the team is paying $s for his salary.

So, the team will lose a little financial flexibility (regardless of whether its cap AAV or just $s), plus the potential risk of losing Gus as a waiver claim as well. So, at least at the start of the season, in this scenario, they are going to reserve or add in Murray's salary & AAV and adjust their team plans accordingly. That's in part (one of the reasons) why I wonder about all these big plans to acquire players and spend money that some fans seem to have.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Wow this guy actually is incredible.

Let in 4 goals but still the best Senator.

There was a play in the 3rd where he misplayed the puck behind the net and it ended up on Hoffmans stick in front. There was no panic, no extra movement from Anton and he managed to give a shooter like that nothing.

Our best player this year easy for me.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This might be an unpopular opinion but considering I was a big Forsberg supporter early on that it is fine if I say it:

He still has a way to go before becoming a legitimate #1 for a contending team. He is definitely capable of being a number one right now on a bottom feeder or even a team that competes for a playoff spot but I have noticed now on more than multiple occasions where he will let in a bit of a soft goal, at least once a game.

Right now that is being overshadowed by how amazing he has been and how consistent too but I worry that if he does not take his game to another level as he gains experience that he might not be capable of winning us big games down the road when/if we become a playoff team.

Reactions: bert and HSF

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's the real reason Ottawa is 7th now in the draft & good for him to play so well & break out. Hopefully he can do the same to start next season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This might be an unpopular opinion but considering I was a big Forsberg supporter early on that it is fine if I say it:

He still has a way to go before becoming a legitimate #1 for a contending team. He is definitely capable of being a number one right now on a bottom feeder or even a team that competes for a playoff spot but I have noticed now on more than multiple occasions where he will let in a bit of a soft goal, at least once a game.

Right now that is being overshadowed by how amazing he has been and how consistent too but I worry that if he does not take his game to another level as he gains experience that he might not be capable of winning us big games down the road when/if we become a playoff team.
We’ll probably see him be ‘better’ as our defence, and team in general continues to get better.

I think it’s a solid indication of what he can do in a better circumstance. Facing the rubber he’s faced, and the sheer amount of high quality chances he’s faced this season, and still have excellent numbers says a lot.

Brodeur would be letting in softies back stopping this team night in and night out lol!

….. it’s not a matter of ‘if’ my friend ;)

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Not talked about enough. This guy can surprise this year. Late bloomer, just entering his prime. I can see another year of improvement from him

Reactions: bert

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Not talked about enough. This guy can surprise this year. Late bloomer, just entering his prime. I can see another year of improvement from him

The team in front of him should also be better so im hopping he will face less high danger shots against and generally less shots in general as the team spends more time in the offensive zone.

He will have some solid back up in Talbot as well so im just hoping they are good enough to get the guys in front of them some playoff experience before Sogaard is ready to take the reigns.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Forsberg will maintain the 1A job and make the need for Talbot redundant. This guy played lights out for us last year and it was awesome to see

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Me likey.

He has been trending the right way for us since we acquired him and I agree in goalie years he is just finding his groove.

I am hoping he is the new Craig Anderson.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The team in front of him should also be better so im hopping he will face less high danger shots against and generally less shots in general as the team spends more time in the offensive zone.

He will have some solid back up in Talbot as well so im just hoping they are good enough to get the guys in front of them some playoff experience before Sogaard is ready to take the reigns.
Maybe but our defense might have been a "lateral" move. To early to tell but if were talking just pure speculation, I wouldn't put money on the Senators decreasing high danger shots against this season quite yet purely from their forward corp change, and the addition of Sanderson alone + a year of development from eveyrone..

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Me likey.

He has been trending the right way for us since we acquired him and I agree in goalie years he is just finding his groove.

I am hoping he is the new Craig Anderson.

If it’s not Stutzle, he will be our most improved player next year. Assuming he beats out Talbot for #1 and gets majority of the starts
30+ Ws
2.65gaa, .921sv%
Book it

Reactions: OD99

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe but our defense might have been a "lateral" move. To early to tell but if were talking just pure speculation, I wouldn't put money on the Senators decreasing high danger shots against this season quite yet purely from their forward corp change, and the addition of Sanderson alone + a year of development from eveyrone..
I think it is reasonable to expect a reduction in high danger shots because of the improvement of our top 6 forwards who should be able to maintain puck possession in the O-zone more often than last season. I agree the defence needs to be upgraded now to reduce high danger shots even more for this team to make the playoffs and become a SC contender (top 8 team).

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think it is reasonable to expect a reduction in high danger shots because of the improvement of our top 6 forwards who should be able to maintain puck possession in the O-zone more often than last season. I agree the defence needs to be upgraded now to reduce high danger shots even more for this team to make the playoffs and become a SC contender (top 8 team).This is something that I totally agree with....Teams like FLD ,Toronto etc used this to mask a average to below average defense core

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Man oh man... what a find this guy has been. He hasn't yet been amazing in any of our games, but he's given us a chance to win every night. I can't say we've been able to say that many times over the last several years.

Kudos to Forsey. A feel good story, an absolute battler, and proving to be a legit NHLer in one of the hardest position in pro sports.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Man oh man... what a find this guy has been. He hasn't yet been amazing in any of our games, but he's given us a chance to win every night. I can't say we've been able to say that many times over the last several years.

Kudos to Forsey. A feel good story, an absolute battler, and proving to be a legit NHLer in one of the hardest position in pro sports.

Last goalie we had that did that for us was Andy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man that save…. And then seeing that Keumper save on Joseph…. Some beauty photo moments in that game for the tenders.

Reactions: coladin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad