Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
I actually think the current slogan is the worst ever.

"Legacy Moves Us Forward"

I'd much rather have "Serious Hockey".
They should just go with "We're Right There" every season and not bother changing it because it's obvious that's been management's assessment of this franchise since Blake waltzed into the GM role.

Bunch of losers.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I actually think the current slogan is the worst ever.

"Legacy Moves Us Forward"

I'd much rather have "Serious Hockey".
Agree. Legacy moves us forward is as confused as the org itself. Legacy is a tribute to accomplishments in the past. its good to remember things that are universally good like hard work, but this legacy concept is the very thing that holds them back... probably more accurate to say "we are stuck giving glory to past accomplishments and players"

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
dbeckem1.jpg

During the summer I asked AEG what the direction of the team is. This was Dan's response.

We're now a day away from the home opener. I don't recall any specific plan being "communicated to the fans and media".

Maybe I missed it? Can someone tell me?
Thank you for sharing this. I’m not surprised that ownership is asking for patience. Last year, the media mouth pieces said the team couldn’t be judged until the post season.

As soon as the season was done, all short comings and disappointments were quickly swept under the rug by those same outlets. If Beckerman is now spouting this tired trope out there, at least we as fans can hope for a smidgen of accountability.

It’s obvious that AEG has kept spending money on the franchise. It’s not a question of money. It’s about putting proven winners in charge off the ice and potential champions in charge on the ice.

Reactions: johnjm22

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
dbeckem1.jpg

During the summer I asked AEG what the direction of the team is. This was Dan's response.

We're now a day away from the home opener. I don't recall any specific plan being "communicated to the fans and media".

Maybe I missed it? Can someone tell me?
My gut feeling is Beckerman does not have the acumen to evaluate the bluc regime properly. He probably thinks making the playoffs 3 years in a row is a modicum of success and doesnt look at it like we do which is: where is the team talent, pipeline and cap at - after a lengthy phase of rebuild? It fell far short of being a contender and is already on the down swing.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
My gut feeling is Beckerman does not have the acumen to evaluate the bluc regime properly. He probably thinks making the playoffs 3 years in a row is a modicum of success and doesnt look at it like we do which is: where is the team talent, pipeline and capwise after a lengthy phase of rebuild? It fell far short of being a contender and is already on the down swing.
Beckerman is plenty sharp. The issue for Kings fans is the team’s bottom line is excellent and there is no burning need to produce a championship anytime soon. Basically zero pressure and zero incentives to go all in on the hockey team, even if that means other parts of the empire suffer.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Agree. Legacy moves us forward is as confused as the org itself. Legacy is a tribute to accomplishments in the past. its good to remember things that are universally good like hard work, but this legacy concept is the very thing that holds them back... probably more accurate to say "we are stuck giving glory to past accomplishments and players"
Integrity=Passion=Family

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Beckerman is plenty sharp. The issue for Kings fans is the team’s bottom line is excellent and there is no burning need to produce a championship anytime soon. Basically zero pressure and zero incentives to go all in on the hockey team, even if that means other parts of the empire suffer.
Well I like that he spent the time to respond to John.. but his focus was on communication of the roster moves.. that seems to me he thinks those moves make sense... where what I see is they are firmly in the midst of the worst place you can be 16th OA with not much chance of getting better without a miracle or another rebuild

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well I like that he spent the time to respond to John.. but his focus was on communication of the roster moves.. that seems to me he thinks those moves make sense... where what I see is they are firmly in the midst of the worst place you can be 16th OA with not much chance of getting better without a miracle or another rebuild
Beckerman says:

"Many of the moves we are making are made with understanding of what it takes to be successful in the post season."

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Foegle/Jeannot/Edumndson. Two of which were healthy scratches in the post season.

It comes off as so incompetent.

Thank you for sharing this. I’m not surprised that ownership is asking for patience. Last year, the media mouth pieces said the team couldn’t be judged until the post season.

As soon as the season was done, all short comings and disappointments were quickly swept under the rug by those same outlets. If Beckerman is now spouting this tired trope out there, at least we as fans can hope for a smidgen of accountability.

It’s obvious that AEG has kept spending money on the franchise. It’s not a question of money. It’s about putting proven winners in charge off the ice and potential champions in charge on the ice.
I shared it because I plan on doing a follow up. Was just wondering if I had missed something before I send the email. Apparently not.

My impression is that AEG cares about the team, but the people running it are just mediocre nepo hires.

Herby

Thank You, Team 144
Feb 27, 2002
Wisconsin
I mean this is par for the course for this team, picked up right where we left off last year. So far they’ve beaten the teams they’re supposed to beat and lost to the teams they’re supposed to lose to with the exception of the Ottawa game which was a shitshow from both sides and they still ended up with a point. Doughty being out hasn’t made a huge difference in the standings but will likely be the excuse Luc uses to get him and Blakey fat extensions next year. As terrible as they look against real contenders, this is really just your run of the mill black hole team. Always has been.

I posted the up to date numbers sometime last season, but the Kings record against the worst teams in the NHL over the last three seasons was something insane like 39-1-4. It was the best winning percentage by any team vs. the bottom teams in the entire NHL over that time frame.

This is why I don't place any value into the people who say "Well they are a 100 point team"

For one, with OTL and shootouts, the 100 point threshold that many of us grew up with that signified a very good team, means very little now. Also, there are many teams (like the mentioned Ducks and Sharks) who are doing it the right way, trying to accumulate as many top 5 picks as possible to better their chances of landing franchise players for the future. If you aren't a true contender, you are better off being bad, most teams operate this way. The Kings are much more in line quality wise as the Kings teams in the late 90's and early 00's.

Going a combined 13-0-2 vs. the Ducks and Sharks (or whatever it was) means very little to the ultimate goal, because you aren't going to see the Ducks and Sharks in the playoffs.

Reactions: tbrown33 and Piston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad