Post-Game Talk: Another Shit Effort, Another Predictable Loss, Rinse, Repeat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I've been screaming about this for years that each $11 mil player needs to be on & carry their own line.

This game might have been the first time Marner was not on Matthews or Tavares lines and on his own with Domi and Bertuzzi.

However even with the Matthews and Marner lines both scoring the Leafs still lost.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You didn't predict, you guaranteed it would happen.

As of today, the Leafs are tied for14-17th overall in regulation PTS%. I said many times that they're better than this but maybe I'm wrong, maybe this is what they are - a bubble team, 1st round fodder.
Maybe he meant 1st place in the non playoff teams race!!! ;);););););););););)

I know where they are in the standings, 3rd place and a game in hand. What place did you think that they are in? maybe it's YOU that is uninformed.
They're hanging on by a point in the playoff picture right now

I think that's irrational thinking and a total overreation.
It's not irrational thinking or an overreaction at all.

Look at their upcoming schedule in the next 7 to 10 days. They might be out of a playoff spot BEFORE the All-Star break

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Guanratee we won’t be in a playoff spot come the all star break. Perfect time to blow this shit up. Fire coach, Shanahan, major trade. Something.
It might even be before that. Look at their schedule for the next 7 to 10 days. They're going to be playing a lot of really good teams.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully the core gets more interesting when the cap goes up a ton and they can actually add impact players in the defence and bottom 6.

I think it's far too late to contemplate change. We need to move on.
How?

The cap is going up $5 mil next year and Nylander going from $7 mil to $11.5 mil eats up $4.5 mil of that increase alone.

Matthews going up from $11.6 to $13.25 mil eats up another $1.65 mil putting Leafs in the red just handing out raises and needing to cut other places.

The following year it goes up again $5 mil and Marner's new raise and Matthews will eat up most of that.

Leafs are constantly chasing their own tails giving their own overpaid players raises to address the rest of the team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How?

The cap is going up $5 mil next year and Nylander going from $7 mil to $11.5 mil eats up $4.5 mil of that increase alone.

Matthews going up from $11.6 to $13.25 mil eats up another $1.65 mil putting Leafs in the red just handing out raises and needing to cut other places.

The following year it goes up again $5 mil and Marner's new raise and Matthews will eat up most of that.

Leafs are constantly chasing their own tails giving their own overpaid players raises to address the rest of the team.

Which signals for regular Leafs players that raises are not to be had here. A Hyman fate most likely and so incentive to win the cup is down and incentive to try you best to pad stats goes up. They clearly don't play winning brand hockey. They play to get 5 goals a game for the contracts and Keefe is down.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The only meaningful changes that haven’t happened here over the years is changing the core, now you can’t do that, there’s no fixing this team as long as you keep rewarding failure with NMC’s……….
We both know that’s not going to happen under Shanahan. Run it back and up the salaries is what we can expect until we either win, or become the Sharks.

Reactions: rumman

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How?

There is no way these players can exceed their value anymore.
What kind of season do you need to have to improve on making 13 million allowing space for 2/3 extra guys vastly exceeding being paid 4 million?
You get a team of the haves and have nots.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That’s awesome for Marner on a personal note but how is he doing from a team standpoint. Last I checked hockey is a team sport.
i have said many time that individually these are good players but as a collective they are not.
What would you suggest just keep running them back again until they retir
We need 2 top 4 dmen. Goalies are voodoo and just an average goalie would do. When Jt’s deal expires I expect he’d still be worth 6 to most teams and if he extended 2 more at a discount, of 5, I’d keep him as well. Marner, Mathews, Nylander are great a little overpaid but they are not the problem.

Edit to add: and I’d get rid of Keefe, nice guy but it appears he lets the players run things. No better than recent example of Mathews and Marner Publicly stating Holmberg is great. 2 weeks later Holmberg is on the top line. Bad on Keefe even if the players were correct, they had to inform him.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We need 2 top 4 dmen. Goalies are voodoo and just an average goalie would do. When Jt’s deal expires I expect he’d still be worth 6 to most teams and if he extended 2 more at a discount, of 5, I’d keep him as well. Marner, Mathews, Nylander are great a little overpaid but they are not the problem.
I see Shanahan and Tre re-signing Tavares for the old Nylander contract. Around 7 million. Nothing this management has done suggests they offer low and the players haven’t shown they take it. They wouldn’t insult him with 5 million.

Reactions: rumman

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Maybe he meant 1st place in the non playoff teams race!!! ;);););););););););)

They're hanging on by a point in the playoff picture right now

It's not irrational thinking or an overreaction at all.

Look at their upcoming schedule in the next 7 to 10 days. They might be out of a playoff spot BEFORE the All-Star break
The All-Star break is the HALF way part of the season meaning most teams still have 40 games to play. I'm not saying that the Leafs are a shoe in to make the playoffs, I'm saying if they're not in a playoff spot at the All Star break it's no need to panic because there are many more games to play. If Woll doesn't return or an injury to a major player happens in mid to late February then it's time to panic.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I see Shanahan and Tre re-signing Tavares for the old Nylander contract. Around 7 million. Nothing this management has done suggests they offer low and the players haven’t shown they take it. They wouldn’t insult him with 5 million.
I don’t think it’s an insult he will be what 35 or almost 35. No worse than what they did to Sundin. I can see some players being rewarded for past years and still making large salaries when they aren’t worth it. Ovi is a great example, but our guys are owed nothing now, they never played for us on a discount or won us a president’s trophy, ;).

Edit to add: and even if JT is still worth 7, I couldn’t pay him 7 because that is not a need we already have 3 very good forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I've been screaming about this for years that each $11 mil player needs to be on & carry their own line.

This game might have been the first time Marner was not on Matthews or Tavares lines and on his own with Domi and Bertuzzi.

However even with the Matthews and Marner lines both scoring the Leafs still lost.

It was bad coaching...Keefe had Gregor, Kampf and Knies on when Detroit took the lead late in the 3rd...what kind of line is that?!

Reactions: egd27

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Edit to add: and I’d get rid of Keefe, nice guy but it appears he lets the players run things. No better than recent example of Mathews and Marner Publicly stating Holmberg is great. 2 weeks later Holmberg is on the top line. Bad on Keefe even if the players were correct, they had to inform him.
It’s worth a try but I read somewhere that next year when the new deals kick in the core 4 plus Mo will equal 63% of the cap So I guess we are talking about 2026 when we will be able to do any of this.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don’t think it’s an insult he will be what 35 or almost 35. No worse than what they did to Sundin. I can see some players being rewarded for past years and still making large salaries when they aren’t worth it. Ovi is a great example, but our guys are owed nothing now, they never played for us on a discount or won us a president’s trophy, ;).

Edit to add: and even if JT is still worth 7, I couldn’t pay him 7 because that is not a need we already have 3 very good forwards.
Myrtle and Segal had a good chat about this on their recent pod. He should be 34 at next contract signing. Myrtle suggests signing JT to a front loaded deal at say 8 years for 28 mil total dollars to bring the cap hit way down; rather than a 3 year signing at 20 mil say. Since it is not a 35 year old contract, if JT retired the cap hit simply goes away.

I could get behind this for sure. Question is, will Johnny?

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
if leafs don’t win a cup with this core there will be hell to pay
They're not winning a cup with the golden girls leading the way. As far as hell to pay, that never seems to be the reaction to anything in leafland, other than some fans having a whipping boy they'll use to deflect the shit sandwich away from their pets.

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
They're not winning a cup with the golden girls leading the way. As far as hell to pay, that never seems to be the reaction to anything in leafland, other than some fans having a whipping boy they'll use to deflect the shit sandwich away from their pets.
if it’s a first round exit this year, there will be some serious concerns for sure. fans really need to hold everyone accountable.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
How?

So don't offer marner a new contract unless your coming off a cup win or a final 4 appearance

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Myrtle and Segal had a good chat about this on their recent pod. He should be 34 at next contract signing. Myrtle suggests signing JT to a front loaded deal at say 8 years for 28 mil total dollars to bring the cap hit way down; rather than a 3 year signing at 20 mil say. Since it is not a 35 year old contract, if JT retired the cap hit simply goes away.

I could get behind this for sure. Question is, will Johnny?
Giving Tavares 20m for 3 years is worse than the Marleau deal. Front loading a truckload of money that he's simply not worth in the first place further cements the fact that we're not a serious organization.

It was amazing that JT chose to come here. The pajama boy memes were amazing good fun and I will forever be glad that the hometown boy wanted to come here. We need more of that. But at the same time, the hometown boy needs to bring some results if he's going to have a triumphant return. There's no need to be vindictive and run him out of town, but he has not delivered on the promises so we are under no obligations to give him his retirement contracts and amazing fanfare. He's a failed captain who tried his best, so long and thanks for your time John. That we're completely unable to move on from players we previously pledged our hearts to is exactly what makes this organization unserious about winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad