Post-Game Talk: Another Shit Effort, Another Predictable Loss, Rinse, Repeat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If this was a month or so earlier I would fire Keefe, but at this stage I'm not sure how many suitable candidates there are, and I just don't like the idea of firing a coach this far into the season for a team that is (likely) going to go to the playoffs.

Lou once fired Julien 1 week before the playoffs and went on to win the Stanly Cup I believe

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Team needs more NTCs and Overpays. The young guys looking to make it in Toronto are so inspired to play hard knowing the leaders are chewing into their potential fair salary.

May as well play as an individual and rack as many pts as you can. Disciplined hockey be damned. Me first Leafs will never win the way they play and NMCs mean it ain't changing.

Last year in the playoffs they didn’t know what their lines or D pairings were. Game 41 of this year and they still don’t know line combos and D pairings.

Look at Keefe and ask yourself... Does this guy look like a man that grasps chemistry?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Aa
You are probably right. We absolutely have to get rid of 2 of the core 4 to build a proper team. The only ones that are not locked up are Marner and Tavares but we can’t trade them only let them walk. It’s going to be a long and painful process
too funny, unreal really, Marner currently fastest Leaf ever to 600 points, but we should just let him walk. Ok…

Reactions: 666 and ACC1224

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why did tre extend Keefe? He just got here he could have waited until just before the playoffs at least. Made little sense really

MLSE loves wasting money on this stuff because they may as well or the league will come knocking for revenue sharing. May as well just have the highest operating expenses.

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
MLSE loves wasting money on this stuff because they may as well or the league will come knocking for revenue sharing. May as well just have the highest operating expenses.
Yeah that is probably true and I do believe they make more during the regular season so that is more important to them. Playoff revenue is split equally amongst all teams unless you win a Cup in that case you get a little more. So long as they are in all will be good. Keep in mind this is an organization that missed the playoffs 10 of 11 years before Shanahan got here, so for sure the bottom line is better.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Personally, I'd be tempted to get Nylander away from Matthews too, and Matthews can play with two wingers not named Marner or Nylander until he shows everyone he can still carry the play by himself. Seems to me too often nowadays he simply goes to the hashmarks and lets everyone else do the work for him.
If you do that and give Willy his own line (not a bad idea), then Knies/Domi/Marner becomes the third line, and JT drops to the fourth?

Hmmmm.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Lou once fired Julien 1 week before the playoffs and went on to win the Stanly Cup I believe
No they lost in the second round

Julien was then announced as the head coach of the New Jersey Devils on June 13, 2006, becoming the 15th head coach in Devils history.[4] On October 6, 2006, he won his first game as Devils head coach with a 4–0 win against the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Carolina Hurricanes. On November 4, Julien won in his first return to Montreal as the Devils defeated the Canadiens, 2–1. On April 2, 2007, Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello abruptly fired Julien with three games to go in the season. This was despite the Devils having a 47–24–8 record, which at the time was leading the Atlantic Division and tied for the second-best record in the Eastern Conference. They were also on their way to setting a franchise record for wins in a season. Lamoriello said that despite the team's stellar record, he did not feel Julien had it ready for the 2007 playoffs.[5] Lamoriello named himself interim head coach for the rest of the season, the second straight season in which Lamoriello left the front office to coach the Devils at the end of the season.[6] Despite the change, the Devils went on to lose in the Eastern Conference Semifinal to the Ottawa Senators.[7]

Reactions: fahad203

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I have my birthday coming up in a few weeks. My friend offered to grab Leafs tickets for my birthday. I told him that Im not even that excited. Seeing shit effort like this, and having to fork out this much money is not even this interesting. We decided we shall go to a concert instead.
Mine too - and my wife suggested the Marlies game. A much better idea.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs fans tend to think that teams that are on par with them should be sellers and willing to give up their stars. The AZ Coyotes have the same number of regulation wins as the Leafs, maybe the Leafs should be helping them?

The Red Wings have scored 155 Goals For on the season in 43 games while the Leafs have recorded 148 in 41 games.

The Wings have 22 wins and 49 points and Leafs have 21 wins and 50 points,

1705331822571.png

Guess how many $11 mil players the Wings have on their roster ?

None .. Dylan Larkin making $8.7 mil is their highest paid player.

In fact the Red Wings are in position to add an $11 mil player at the trade deadline with their free cap space. They could add a Tavares or Marner without needing to drop a player/contract.

1705332354270.png

So why do Leafs keep believing they need to spend these ridiculous salaries on players and what do they think they're buying by doing so in direct comparison to the opposition?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There is a 0% chance Tre is going to fire Keefe mid season, people forget giving Keefe a contract extension was the first thing he did as a Leafs GM

Shanahan should be fired for hiring Tre tho
Contract extensions mean nothing for coaches. For the team it gets that one minor detail out of the way, and if they fire him tomorrow all it costs them is a bit of non-cap cash. BFD.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Team needs more NTCs and Overpays. The young guys looking to make it in Toronto are so inspired to play hard knowing the leaders are chewing into their potential fair salary.

May as well play as an individual and rack as many pts as you can. Disciplined hockey be damned. Me first Leafs will never win the way they play and NMCs mean it ain't changing.

Look at Keefe and ask yourself... Does this guy look like a man that grasps chemistry?
Keefe is part of the problem.

In September there were so many unknowns with the roster and the results we are seeing were predictable. We didn’t know if this team would win the division or miss the playoffs and if Matthews wasn't bouncing them in from everywhere on the ice they’d be out.

Reactions: definedMF

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I love how after a good game we're still going to see people on here saying this team can win the cup. Wake up my friends, this iteration of the Leafs are not cup contenders.

We need to demand some serious change, it is the same thing every season with zero results. Lets not waste Matthews career, we need to build something around him, something real, something for the playoffs, not just regular season hotdog hockey which is all this team is good for.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The Red Wings have scored 155 Goals For on the season in 43 games while the Leafs have recorded 148 in 41 games.

View attachment 803512

In fact the Red Wings are in position to add an $11 mil player at the trade deadline with their free cap space. They could add a Tavares or Marner without needing to drop a player/contract.

View attachment 803517

So why do Leafs keep believing they need to spend these ridiculous salaries on players and what do they think they're buying by doing so in direct comparison to the opposition?
Didn’t you know the Leafs have 4 of the best 11 players in the entire NHL, they are blessed

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

View attachment 803512

View attachment 803517

Well we knew what they were in September, so why the outrage now?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'm fatigued with this group of players. It happened with guys like Bozak, Gardiner and JVR but I never thought it would happen with Nylander, Tavares and Marner.

Can they at least get rid of the coach? Anything to make this tired product even mildly interesting. This guy has one item in his bag of tricks and it's switching Nylander and Marner. Putting Holmberg in the top 6 was pure dumb luck, IMO.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
its hilarious listening to First Take on ESPN/TSN, and you can word replace everything they are saying about the cowboys with the leafs.
questioning how many years you can let Dak not perform in the playoffs and keep bringing him back.
How the coach doesn't have his team prepared for the playoffs.
getting passed by younger teams in the first kick at the playoffs.
like two peas in a pod of despair - leafs and cowboys.

i can only hope, we can somehow get Marner (Dak) to waive his NMC in the offseason and we walk from JT end of next year and bring in some culture changers that force AM and WN to give a damn. then the core four is down to 2.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm fatigued with this group of players. It happened with guys like Bozak, Gardiner and JVR but I never thought it would happen with Nylander, Tavares and Marner.

Can they at least get rid of the coach? Anything to make this tired product even mildly interesting. This guy has one item in his bag of tricks and it's switching Nylander and Marner. Putting Holmberg in the top 6 was pure dumb luck, IMO.

I think we debated long and hard over the years about the "core 4" and it is interesting to see people coming around to the idea of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad