Post-Game Talk: Another Shit Effort, Another Predictable Loss, Rinse, Repeat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Berube said he’d love to coach the leafs. That’s the guy I want. Bring him in spark the cup run lol
I like Berube too, but lets be honest, the ghost of Toe Blake couldn’t get this group of misfits to win in April and beyond……..

Jones is saving his career right now.... A 3rd string goalie
Jones and Benoit are about the only positives he’s done thus far, maybe he is just the son of a Pizza Man……..

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I know we're all pissed at the loss and not to pump myself up (sorta pumping myself up) This was my post in the pre-game thread :laugh:

"
Taking bets on the Over/Under on Samsonovs .svp tonight

Setting the line at .869

"

His save percentage last night you might ask ? .870

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think we debated long and hard over the years about the "core 4" and it is interesting to see people coming around to the idea of change.

Hopefully the core gets more interesting when the cap goes up a ton and they can actually add impact players in the defence and bottom 6.

I think it's far too late to contemplate change. We need to move on.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Go one step higher. Lou, Dubas, Treliving, Babcock, Keefe. All “run-it-back” Shanny’s guys. The buck stops at the top. His incompetence Is glaring. No other organization with championship aspirations would accept his ruining a rebuild the way he’s done it. Entrusting these four soft, heartless players to lead the team is criminal. Paying them half the team’s salary cap is even worse. It’s been obvious for years that it doesn’t work. Yet Shanahan refuses to change a losing formula. Now that they’ve hired Pelly maybe they will fire the so-called president and replace him with someone who knows how to build a winning organization from the ground up because this ain’t it.
Lou was a run it back shanny guy?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I kinda wish we kept Lou Lam. Yes, he definitely has his flaws (all of these GMs do), but I think there would have been more accountability on and off the ice. Meaning that he wouldn’t be the player’s friend like Dubas. He would push back against Shanny too.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
gio and brodie need to be removed from the team one way or another idc how. trade for future considerations, bag of pucks, etc., or send to waivers, whtever it takes, robidas island, etc.
This is the first post of your’s that actully makes sense in quite some time, lets see if you can keep it going………

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I kinda wish we kept Lou Lam. Yes, he definitely has his flaws (all of these GMs do), but I think there would have been more accountability on and off the ice. Meaning that he wouldn’t be the player’s friend like Dubas. He would push back against Shanny too.
For me, I would have moved on from all of Dubas/Lou Lam/Hunter and brought in an experienced GM that is/was a little fresher than Lou.
I wanted them to do that back then, looks like it would have been the right call, IMO.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I just laughed when Det scored the late winner. Knew the forums were going to be fun for the next 48 hours minimum.

The 18 wheeler is just starting to nose into the corner. We're going a little too fast and we haven't checked the brakes in a while. Ain't no guardrails in the NHL, and the drivers of this truck are desperate. Before the year I predicted we were going to start slow, fire the coach, and then never recover the season. Instead it seems like we started mediocre, extended the coach and our core players, and now that 30m of candy has been handed out we can finally begin the death spiral.

These are the Leafs of course, we'll death spiral out of the playoffs and then right the ship just enough to get 9th place and miss the playoffs by one point. With #newcoach we'll come storming back and in the 81st game secure a huge win that puts us in control of our own destinies. Then in game 82 (against the Lightning, 2nd game of a back to back) we will lay a colossal egg to miss the dance.

You heard it here first. In your hearts you know it's true.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They need a coach that will come in and implement a defensive structure that works with the pieces they have, rather than Keefe trying to force his structure on the team when it's clear they don't have the pieces to play it. They don't need Makar and Josi; they need someone who can play with Reilly and someone who can fill the 3-4 spot switching with Lilly periodically. Reilly, Lilly, McCabe and Benoit are fine as long as Reilly and Lilly are the only ones pinching, and Timmins is a fine 7 that can come in when you want a bit more offense from the backend. But they need replacements for Brodie and Gio in the worst way right now. And they NEED to stop having guys like McCabe pinch; it's just not in his skillset.

Personally, I'd be tempted to get Nylander away from Matthews too, and Matthews can play with two wingers not named Marner or Nylander until he shows everyone he can still carry the play by himself. Seems to me too often nowadays he simply goes to the hashmarks and lets everyone else do the work for him.
Winner winner, chicken dinner……..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For me, I would have moved on from all of Dubas/Lou Lam/Hunter and brought in an experienced GM that is/was a little fresher than Lou.
I wanted them to do that back then, looks like it would have been the right call, IMO.

Someone should be held accountable, but not sure how high up you have to go before you find that?

Maybe you have to go a step up from GM, and a step down from GM.
GM's boss
GM's coach

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have my birthday coming up in a few weeks. My friend offered to grab Leafs tickets for my birthday. I told him that Im not even that excited. Seeing shit effort like this, and having to fork out this much money is not even this interesting. We decided we shall go to a concert instead.
Anyone who willingly wastes their money on this clown show, has more money than brains, that’s for damn sure……..

You are probably right. We absolutely have to get rid of 2 of the core 4 to build a proper team. The only ones that are not locked up are Marner and Tavares but we can’t trade them only let them walk. It’s going to be a long and painful process
I have zero confidence that they won’t overpay 16, and 91 going forward. The only consistency this organization has is in overpaying underachieving players………

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
A coaching change is always the first logical choice.
You need to see the current core under a new system. If you want to make bigger changes (meaning core pieces), you have to see what players can respond to a new coaching system and a better playoff style of hockey.
If you want a little more dump and chase, or getting behind the D stronger, you need to see who is willing to that.
Stop deciding what type of regular season team you want to be and build towards what type of playoff team you want to be. Then, who can play that way.
The only meaningful changes that haven’t happened here over the years is changing the core, now you can’t do that, there’s no fixing this team as long as you keep rewarding failure with NMC’s……….

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Aa

too funny, unreal really, Marner currently fastest Leaf ever to 600 points, but we should just let him walk. Ok…
That’s awesome for Marner on a personal note but how is he doing from a team standpoint. Last I checked hockey is a team sport.
i have said many time that individually these are good players but as a collective they are not.
What would you suggest just keep running them back again until they retir

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I'm pretty sure that is exactly the strategy.
Unfortunately I think you are correct and it’s a failing strategy but some are paralyzed by fear to make any changes.
one of Willy or Marner shoukd have been traded while we still had control

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Unfortunately I think you are correct and it’s a failing strategy but some are paralyzed by fear to make any changes.
one of Willy or Marner shoukd have been traded while we still had control
I think it's a strategy that is based on correct principles - i.e., given the difficult of acquiring talented players, if you have them you should keep them. To me, the question is more about whether the talent is being used correctly. That strikes me as more of a coaching issue than a player capability issue.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Forward change-up was evident - no cohesion in new groupings - everyone trying to learn to lay with new guys

On D same old same old .. 1 D in Rielly and then lots of garbage .. great game back by Sammy .. good for him

Reactions: studebaker17

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Weren’t the keefe haters yelling for Tavares on line 3. What now? Or will you admit there’s more issues than Keefe?
No one said Keefe is the ONLY issue, but he is part of the issue. Anyway, seeing him do it, he believes his seat is getting hot right now.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I guess you’re unaware of the current state and position of this team. Maybe check the standings and then take into account how pathetic the team is playing. Know your facts before posting something irrational.
I know where they are in the standings, 3rd place and a game in hand. What place did you think that they are in? maybe it's YOU that is uninformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad