Post-Game Talk: Another Shit Effort, Another Predictable Loss, Rinse, Repeat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I actually liked most of the new lines, but since they lost I expect Keefe to change it all back next game. Meanwhile, the bulk of the Wings offense came from bad giveaways by the D-men in their own zone.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I would give Lilly some rope as thats part of his learning curve. Also McCabe being more vocal on the ice would help too.
We don't know what McCabe said, all we know is that he tied up his man to allow an easier retrieval for Liljegren.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Treliving has his work cut out for him.

Leafs have Rielly McCabe and Timmins under contract for next season. Liljegren and Benoit are RFA. The below are the lists of UFA’s currently. The defense needs a complete overhaul and he’ll probably do that next off season.

Tanev comes to mind and he should come cheaper than his current 4.5mil/yr. Then maybe another vets like Cole and Bogo

Scion

May 25, 2012
100%. If only Tre signed Schenn in the off season. Reilly would be even better as he actually have someone that can do the job beside him.

To me thats very interesting bc his game was never about speed and quickness but more to do with reading the game and being in position. How can you lose that over night.
Brodie relied alot on speed to close gaps and cut off plays. This season he looks noticeably slower and that has forced him into more conservative gaps and allowed opponents to get in on him quicker on the forecheck and that's a problem because he has never had great size or deceptive handling.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie relied alot on speed to close gaps and cut off plays. This season he looks noticeably slower and that has forced him into more conservative gaps and allowed opponents to get in on him quicker on the forecheck and that's a problem because he has never had great size or deceptive handling.

While I don’t think I would ever characterize Brodie as fast in the past, he’s lost a step or two and I find it awkward watching him do everything on his off hand. Just one split second less to process and make a play. He also seems to be eating a lot of physical punishment too and it’s wearing him down.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tanev comes to mind and he should come cheaper than his current 4.5mil/yr. Then maybe another vets like Cole and Bogo

Feels like there are too many fundamental problems at multiple positions to expect a couple of D way on the wrong side of 30 to bring this group back to pseudo contender status. They look like a team where the wheels are going to fall off and just tumble down the standings.

Reactions: egd27 and HolyCrap

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
As a C you're taught to stop in front of the net if both D are red line or below. In that situation he probably could have got away with sinking weakside because McCabe had his man tied up and there was no immediate threat in the slot, but that's not what you are taught and it certainly doesn't excuse the pass by Liljegren which is made after Kampf stops net front (not before).
When not in possession yes, however they were in possession and outlets were necessary, Kampf standing in front of the net doesn't provide an outlet, all 3 players in McCabe Kampf and Liljegren(as he somewhat whiffs) were responsible.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
While I don’t think I would ever characterize Brodie as fast in the past, he’s lost a step or two and I find it awkward watching him do everything on his off hand. Just one split second less to process and make a play. He also seems to be eating a lot of physical punishment too and it’s wearing him down.
Do you mean as a Leaf? Because he was a fantastic skater in his Calgary days and we'll above average when he joined us

Reactions: Scion

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Do you mean as a Leaf? Because he was a fantastic skater in his Calgary days and we'll above average when he joined us

I know when he came in Calgary fans compared him a bit to Jake Gardiner (skating, softness, mistake prone etc) but by the time we got him he wasn’t that kind of elite skater nor was he that soft or mistake prone. But whatever he was in 2021 I think he’s definitely lost a step.

• Haha
Reactions: Gallagbi

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
We don't know what McCabe said, all we know is that he tied up his man to allow an easier retrieval for Liljegren.
I don't think this D pairing works (goals 1 and 3 were both caused by this D pairing throwing the puck to nobody). Of course, it's possible the issue is they haven't really played together much this year...

This is the sort of thing you risk when you take a blender to the lines. It'll take a few games to see if the lines mesh, so I expect Keefe to switch them back next game. It's one of the things Keefe does that drives me crazy; he blenders the lines CONSTANTLY and rarely leaves them long enough to see if things actually work.. Except for his preferred combinations, which he constantly goes back to no matter how many times they haven't worked.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I think he has been being physically pushed off more these past year(dating back to late last season) but to me, he is a thinking Defensive Dman where he processed the game quicker. Just seem odd that he really dropped off over night(late last season) and never recovered.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Boy he sure milked that Nylander hot-streak for everything it was worth. Guy is absolute and utter dogshit when he's not playing with Marner or Nylander.
He's been doing it for years, but Dubas always made sure either Willy or Mitch was there to feed him.

As soon as he's not playing with them, it's clear what a disaster that signing was.

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
I actually liked most of the new lines, but since they lost I expect Keefe to change it all back next game. Meanwhile, the bulk of the Wings offense came from bad giveaways by the D-men in their own zone.
Yeah, the new lines were fantastic. They couldn't outcompete a tired mediocre Red Wings team who barely arrived at the arena in time for puck drop and they couldn't score more than 2 goals on JAMES f***ING REIMER. LMAO. $50M PP goes 0/3 in the first. The lines were great tho.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I know it’s already been said, but seriously, after this game, no way Keefe should have a job. Putting the lines in a blender tonight of all nights, with Samsonov in net, was the most stupid decision I’ve seen from a Leaf coach. To start a game the way they did, disinterested for most of the game, can indirectly be blamed on the coach.
#BringBrophyBack

Players need to be more scared of the coach than scared of physical contact during games.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, the new lines were fantastic. They couldn't outcompete a tired mediocre Red Wings team who barely arrived at the arena in time for puck drop and they couldn't score more than 2 goals on JAMES f***ING REIMER. LMAO. $50M PP goes 0/3 in the first. The lines were great tho.
What in the holy hell are you talking about? The Wings hardly sustained ANY pressure at all of the entire game; their entire offense came on turnovers and one where Reilly's stick blew up and Sprong got a breakaway out of it! If that's the Red Wings outworking someone, I'd hate to see them GET outworked by someone...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Feels like there are too many fundamental problems at multiple positions to expect a couple of D way on the wrong side of 30 to bring this group back to pseudo contender status. They look like a team where the wheels are going to fall off and just tumble down the standings.
They have way too much talent to tumble down the standings. A few more Ls and Keefe will be gone and a new guy will come in and they will win more than they lose for a month or two. Win the next few and they are fine again.

I do think they are more than a D or two away unless they get Makar and Josi.
They just need to learn to play like a team and be accountable.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Only saw a ten minute highlight version. How was it overall? Deserved to lose or they were in it?

Sounds like Sammy was good mostly?

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I hate to say it, but even I can't defend Brodie. His game has fallen off a cliff.
It is absolutely unbelievable how much he’s regressed in the last 2-3 years.

What happened to the guy in the Covid divison realignment year who was paired with Holl and shutdown McDavid in nearly 3 straight games???? for 2 games and 59 and a half minutes to be exact.

I hate to say it, but even I can't defend Brodie. His game has fallen off a cliff.
It is absolutely unbelievable how much he’s regressed in the last 2-3 years.

What happened to the guy in the Covid divison realignment year who was paired with Holl and shutdown McDavid in nearly 3 straight games???? for 2 games and 59 and a half minutes to be exact.

Edit: Why was this posted twice? Lol.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Excellent passes by Mitch and Bert for Mitch's goal. That line was the best on the night (which means we may never see it again).

JT is looking like a perfect 5LW or 6C, and 4PP.

It looks like Willy developed tunnel vision because of all the times he set up Bert and Ernie to no avail, but he's got to stop it if he's playing with Matty. Last three games he's led the team in shots (15 to Matty's 9), but not great ones. A couple of good rushes tonight wasted.

Sammy made some really good saves (and was lucky a couple went wide). I don't really blame him on the breakaway, especially as Rielly had no stick.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
They have way too much talent to tumble down the standings. A few more Ls and Keefe will be gone and a new guy will come in and they will win more than they lose for a month or two. Win the next few and they are fine again.

I do think they are more than a D or two away unless they get Makar and Josi.
They just need to learn to play like a team and be accountable.
They need a coach that will come in and implement a defensive structure that works with the pieces they have, rather than Keefe trying to force his structure on the team when it's clear they don't have the pieces to play it. They don't need Makar and Josi; they need someone who can play with Reilly and someone who can fill the 3-4 spot switching with Lilly periodically. Reilly, Lilly, McCabe and Benoit are fine as long as Reilly and Lilly are the only ones pinching, and Timmins is a fine 7 that can come in when you want a bit more offense from the backend. But they need replacements for Brodie and Gio in the worst way right now. And they NEED to stop having guys like McCabe pinch; it's just not in his skillset.

Excellent passes by Mitch and Bert for Mitch's goal. That line was the best on the night (which means we may never see it again).

JT is looking like a perfect 5LW or 6C, and 4PP.

It looks like Willy developed tunnel vision because of all the times he set up Bert and Ernie to no avail, but he's got to stop it if he's playing with Matty. Last three games he's led the team in shots (15 to Matty's 9), but not great ones. A couple of good rushes tonight wasted.

Sammy made some really good saves (and was lucky a couple went wide). I don't really blame him on the breakaway, especially as Rielly had no stick.
Personally, I'd be tempted to get Nylander away from Matthews too, and Matthews can play with two wingers not named Marner or Nylander until he shows everyone he can still carry the play by himself. Seems to me too often nowadays he simply goes to the hashmarks and lets everyone else do the work for him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They need a coach that will come in and implement a defensive structure that works with the pieces they have, rather than Keefe trying to force his structure on the team when it's clear they don't have the pieces to play it. They don't need Makar and Josi; they need someone who can play with Reilly and someone who can fill the 3-4 spot switching with Lilly periodically. Reilly, Lilly, McCabe and Benoit are fine as long as Reilly and Lilly are the only ones pinching, and Timmins is a fine 7 that can come in when you want a bit more offense from the backend. But they need replacements for Brodie and Gio in the worst way right now. And they NEED to stop having guys like McCabe pinch; it's just not in his skillset.
Thats also why I think letting Scheen go bc he asked a million too much was a mistake bc he can clearly play with Reilly and hold down his end. It should had been looked at 2.75mil for a 1st pairing Dman is a bargain instead of Schenn should be at 1.75mil max, thats 1 mil too much.
Imagine having Schenn with Reilly. Then have TJ and McCabe be mid pairing. Lilly and Gio/Benoit as 3rd pairing.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Thats also why I think letting Scheen go bc he asked a million too much was a mistake bc he can clearly play with Reilly and hold down his end. It should had been looked at 2.75mil for a 1st pairing Dman is a bargain instead of Schenn should be at 1.75mil max, thats 1 mil too much.
Imagine having Schenn with Reilly. Then have TJ and McCabe be mid pairing. Lilly and Gio/Benoit as 3rd pairing.
Yeah, when they did that I was just shaking my head. Yes, we didn't know if Schenn would hold up (and now it's moot), but it still clearly worked last year. Weirdly, Dubas WAS discussing a return with Schenn's agent before he left, and once he was out they just.... Didn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad