Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
In this offseason alone, Lyubushkin 3x3.25, Jokiharju 1x3.1, Dumba 2x3.75, Myers 3x3.0. Here's those player cards everyone here loves. Which of these other right handed defensemen is a better value? (not to pick on you but this keeps coming up)

View attachment 893705View attachment 893706View attachment 893707View attachment 893712
It is certainly fair to bring up recent comparables to compare to Peake’s contract. I am not familiar with the source of those cards, what does his card for Peeke look like?

I subscribe to the Athletic so I see their analytical analysis and they had the trade graded a D for Boston and A for CBL. They also have Peeke’s true market value as $800k vs his $2.75M.

My guess is the source you referenced had Peeke in the range of those guys you cited. I think these are bad contracts so it doesn’t make Peeke’s better in my view and there is a good chance their agents used Peeke’s contract as a comparable.

To reiterate, I have nothing against Peeke the person or player. It’s the trade I take issue with. CBL should have retained or they should have taken back a bad contract from Boston.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Gymnastics like... what comparable players are paid. Literally the only measure we have.

There are 74 right handed defensemen signed to standard one way contracts in the NHL who played at least 38 games. 58 of them make 2.5m or more. That is basically the floor if you're right handed and have played 2 full seasons in the league recently. The rest are either just breaking in, soon to be leaving, or are part time players.

You can prefer to have one of those fringe players playing with Lohrei so you can spend 2 million on whatever but they're not at all comparable to Peeke and it doesn't make the team better. The playoffs are a war of attrition on defensemen, Dallas couldn't overcome having to hide Alex Petrovic after losing only two guys. You want to start out with a Petrovic in the lineup from day one, good luck with that.

They got Peeke because he was Zach Werenski's personal safety net in Columbus playing 21+ minutes a game for two seasons, they want him to be that for Lohrei, and they want the insurance behind Carlo. Nobody gives them any of that for even 1 million less.
How did Columbus do with him as a 20+ minute a night defenseman?

It is certainly fair to bring up recent comparables to compare to Peake’s contract. I am not familiar with the source of those cards, what does his card for Peeke look like?

I subscribe to the Athletic so I see their analytical analysis and they had the trade graded a D for Boston and A for CBL. They also have Peeke’s true market value as $800k vs his $2.75M.

My guess is the source you referenced had Peeke in the range of those guys you cited. I think these are bad contracts so it doesn’t make Peeke’s better in my view and there is a good chance their agents used Peeke’s contract as a comparable.

To reiterate, I have nothing against Peeke the person or player. It’s the trade I take issue with. CBL should have retained or they should have taken back a bad contract from Boston.
Because he's a replacement level player and talent. Not sure why that's even being questioned at this point. He should do better in Boston, of course.

Reactions: False Start

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
ok, all the pro Peeke and pro Korpi deals, don't bitch if one of the kids don't shine in a top 6 role if not filled with a PTO when its a black hole all year.

If it's not, still doesn't change the fact these two are overpaid luxuries.

I mean Peeke's ceiling is #6 defenseman. Same as Forborts.

Hoping for the best. He won't be a liability but won't do anything a million dollar guy couldn't do in this system.
Well at every TDL, $ get retained by the trading team, so your buck goes a lot further. Not worried.
All you Sword of Damacles guys, need a 360 degree view of things. Not as simple financially as you're making it.
Everybody pays too much for everybody in all the sports. There is a price for getting a missing piece, and it a team believes in a piece that another team wants to move on from. No one is given away for nothing.
Boston looking at anyone from a dysfunctional team, thinking I can fix that player by putting him in a better position to succeed, is not a foreign concept in sports.

That's trusting your program as being better. The fact that we haven't missed the playoffs very much since Chia-pet was GM, speak to this.
All the guys that come here talk about the culture. Sure there are misses(the Ritchie's of the league)
but overall, with good health, most of the guys we've brought in hav succeeded at their role.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Lou your entitled to your opinion, a lot of us just want to see what a camp and season provides for the players development.
If he performs better than Forbort, its not an over payment. If he stays on the ice for 70+ games and provides PK ice time and the physical presence that Gryz couldn't, it a good contract.
If he sucks and gets cut, or sent down(someone would claim him) you win and next guy up.
I'm just preaching patience. He just didn't look that bad in the games he played, healthy.
Skates better than Forbort, more physical than Gryz, makes less than both. These are facts.
I could pick 2 or 3 other guys on the team that I rather have someone else for the apprx same money.
Hampus's contract is a way bigger red flag than Peeke's would ever be.
That's the money for your 1-2W, right there. Unless Hampus starts playing like year 1, with us, that's the biggest contractual albatross on the team, not Peeke or Korpisalo.
Just my 2 cents.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Lou your entitled to your opinion, a lot of us just want to see what a camp and season provides for the players development.
If he performs better than Forbort, its not an over payment. If he stays on the ice for 70+ games and provides PK ice time and the physical presence that Gryz couldn't, it a good contract.
If he sucks and gets cut, or sent down(someone would claim him) you win and next guy up.
I'm just preaching patience. He just didn't look that bad in the games he played, healthy.
Skates better than Forbort, more physical than Gryz, makes less than both. These are facts.
I could pick 2 or 3 other guys on the team that I rather have someone else for the apprx same money.
That's the money for your 1-2W, right there. Unless Hampus starts playing like year 1, with us, that's the biggest contractual albatross on the team, not Peeke or Korpisalo.
Just my 2 cents.
As are you guys as well. You are right, patience and we will see who it plays out.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Just my 2 cents.

You're mad at Hampus' ability to stabilize the top two pairs on our current team for roughly 6 million dollars? That's an albatross?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
You're mad at Hampus' ability to stabilize the top two pairs on our current team for roughly 6 million dollars? That's an albatross?
He's had long stretches of poor play for that money, and then plays like an All Star. He's soft for a guy his size. He has stretches where he is the last guy you want on the ice to preserve a lead. That's an established fact around here and who he is. So if your soft, you better bring the creative offensive part of your game more consistently.
Is he a good player(eats a lot of ice time, sometimes too much), yes, sometimes great, yes, inconsistent, big yes.
That point was made in reference to who is a marginally bad contract that would allow money to be spent elsewhere.
He's on the team, I cheer for him, as I do all the guys in the lineup. Some are more infuriating then others. He's one of them if we are picking on over payments

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
How is Peeke worth his contract? He’s another overpaid 6 in a never ending supply of bruins overpaid 6s until he shows he’s worth almost 3 mil per year. Playing ok as a 6 won’t make him worth it.
They are building from the Blueline out, I would rather have that 3m spent on Peeke than Danton Heinen. A third pair of Lohrei and Peeke is a nice combination of grit, size, skill and some hitting thrown in. Peeke was a big loss in the playoffs.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Leafs fans observe Bruins fans complaining about Hampus Lindholm, then put their heads in their hands and gently weep.
Funny I was just thinking how the general assumption is that defensemen will improve their performance when they come to Boston and how the opposite is true for Toronto.

Speaking of shitty contracts - WTF is that 6 year Tanev deal?

False Start

May 8, 2018
He's had long stretches of poor play for that money, and then plays like an All Star. He's soft for a guy his size. He has stretches where he is the last guy you want on the ice to preserve a lead. That's an established fact around here and who he is. So if your soft, you better bring the creative offensive part of your game more consistently.
Is he a good player(eats a lot of ice time, sometimes too much), yes, sometimes great, yes, inconsistent, big yes.
That point was made in reference to who is a marginally bad contract that would allow money to be spent elsewhere.
He's on the team, I cheer for him, as I do all the guys in the lineup. Some are more infuriating then others. He's one of them if we are picking on over payments

Look I get it but this guy makes not top tier money and is quite literally the best D-Partner McAvoy and Carlo have ever had.

He elevates their games entirely, he alone contributes enough to make a defensive difference in our win-loss column by simply existing and filling that role.

He does this despite being inconsistent at times. This is simply not a replaceable player for Boston. Maybe in a few years, if he ages poorly we can have a proper discussion on the value of his contract.

The facts are: He's 30 years old, he has an NMC and he makes 6.5 million. He's not going anywhere, he's either going to dominate with McAvoy or stabilize the 2nd pair with Carlo as one of the best 2nd pairs in the entire league.

Reactions: HustleB

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I've never once thought of Hampus Lindholm as soft.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Funny I was just thinking how the general assumption is that defensemen will improve their performance when they come to Boston and how the opposite is true for Toronto.

Speaking of shitty contracts - WTF is that 6 year Tanev deal?
good post, makes Peake contract look like a steal 2 yrs at 26 or 4 yrs at 34

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I see we are grossly underrating H.lindholm around here. Guys so good. His gap control is good, his outlet passes are good but too. He is a great second pairing guy.

I dont think there is a team in the east with a better D group than Boston. I don’t think it’s close.

Mcavoy, Carlo, lindholm, lohrei, peeke, Zadorov and the spoon. How can we not love this entire group? Show me another team with a better group on the back end.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Well at every TDL, $ get retained by the trading team, so your buck goes a lot further. Not worried.
All you Sword of Damacles guys, need a 360 degree view of things. Not as simple financially as you're making it.
Everybody pays too much for everybody in all the sports. There is a price for getting a missing piece, and it a team believes in a piece that another team wants to move on from. No one is given away for nothing.
Boston looking at anyone from a dysfunctional team, thinking I can fix that player by putting him in a better position to succeed, is not a foreign concept in sports.

That's trusting your program as being better. The fact that we haven't missed the playoffs very much since Chia-pet was GM, speak to this.
All the guys that come here talk about the culture. Sure there are misses(the Ritchie's of the league)
but overall, with good health, most of the guys we've brought in hav succeeded at their role.

• Love
Reactions: Mad-Marcus

False Start

May 8, 2018
I see we are grossly underrating H.lindholm around here. Guys so good. His gap control is good, his outlet passes are good but too. He is a great second pairing guy.

I dont think there is a team in the east with a better D group than Boston. I don’t think it’s close.

Mcavoy, Carlo, lindholm, lohrei, peeke, Zadorov and the spoon. How can we not love this entire group? Show me another team with a better group on the back end.
We've significantly increased the average height of our defenseman this offseason.

Everyone loves to point out the cup winners have large D. Well now we have no excuses :naughty:

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH

Great individual skills, but for someone of his stature, get pushed around in the corners and has a bad habit of whiffing on clears under pressure more than you'd expect.
He is a very good player, but sometimes you're surprised by how he losses composure an also allows other players to out leverage him.
6.5M is about right in my eyes, just as 2.75M is for Peeke. That's what good 3rd liners on a good team make.

Peeke should not be judged on the Columbus experience, Dysfunctional with a capital D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad