Managements worst slaps in Face to star players

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Starting off with Bobby Clarke offering Lindros a 2 way deal.

Rangers Demoting Marcel Dionne to Denver

Torontos bad mouthing in the media of Frank Mahovlich and Dave Keon,Daryl Sittler

Speaking of Sittler

Showing up at at dinner/ceremony/roast to be named flyers captain and Keenen trading him that day to the worst team in the NHL

Any others?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Starting off with Bobby Clarke offering Lindros a 2 way deal.

Rangers Demoting Marcel Dionne to Denver

Torontos bad mouthing in the media of Frank Mahovlich and Dave Keon,Daryl Sittler

Speaking of Sittler

Showing up at at dinner/ceremony/roast to be named flyers captain and Keenen trading him that day to the worst team in the NHL

Any others?

There is a book on the leafs when Ballard ran the team and numerous things he did to player.

There should be one on Keenen

archangel2

May 19, 2019
When they wouldn't let Rob Schremp play Rob Schremp Hockey.
the warning sign for Schremp is when he went from a top 5 pick and just kept falling. He reportedly was on 6 no draft lists. Oilers gambled and he just wanted to play his own way and not buy into the team concept. Even in Europe he changed teams maybe twice a year.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Trading Gretzky to the Kings made me weep when I was a child..... (I grew up in Edmonton, moved to Vancouver at age 9).

I dunno, that one still sticks with me because when you have the best player in the world on your team..... why the f*** would you trade him? Oh yeah because your team's owner is a 🤡 that can't pay his bills. 🤡

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Trading Gretzky to the Kings made me weep when I was a child..... (I grew up in Edmonton, moved to Vancouver at age 9).

I dunno, that one still sticks with me because when you have the best player in the world on your team..... why the f*** would you trade him? Oh yeah because your team's owner is a 🤡 that can't pay his bills. 🤡
What if you called the greatest player ever in the middle of the night for him to sign now instead of in the morning and ruin the whole relationship

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
quinn and/or burke planting the "bure threatened to sit out playoff games if his contract wasn't renegotiated" story

Reactions: quat

archangel2

May 19, 2019
There is a long list if you want to go thorough every NHL club.

Kings trading Lubomir Visnovsky to the Oiler 48 hours before his NMC kicked in. LV was not a happy camper in Edmonton and he made it clear he would have been unhappy no mater who was traded to. HIs had a growing family in California and did not want to be away from them at all and the fact the Kings won the cup twice during the length of the contract was shot to his groin as he put it

archangel2

May 19, 2019
here is an example of what teams would do and how it blew up their face.

The magic number for a player to qualify for a pension was 400 games at one point in time, The team that the player played his 400th game would be responsible for creating a bond for said player that would mature to the full amount when the player turned 65. (this was not changed unril the Fehr NNHLPA days due to what some nhl teams did)

Doug Sheddon was sent down by the leafs when he was sitting at 396 games or something, they waived him and did everything they could to prevent him from playing his 400th game. The 90/91 season was a shit storm for the leafs and they had no choice but to recall him due to injuries and other stuff. He got 18 pts in 23 games and this sort of made the leaf management happy. he helped them win a few games that year. The leafs had traded their 1991 first round draft pick to the Devils for Tom Kurvers. The Devils took a guy named Scott Niedermyer with that pick. The leafs did everything they could not finish last that year due to a guy named Eric Lindros being in the draft.

The Nord were more than happy to help the leafs not finish last. The Nords had 3 vets who were not buying into the tanking idea and gave them to the Leafs, Lucien Deblois, Aaron Broten and Michel Petit. Toss in Sheddon you had 4 guys playing to their NHL careers

Last edited:

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
There is a long list if you want to go thorough every NHL club.

Kings trading Lubomir Visnovsky to the Oiler 48 hours before his NMC kicked in. LV was not a happy camper in Edmonton and he made it clear he would have been unhappy no mater who was traded to. HIs had a growing family in California and did not want to be away from them at all and the fact the Kings won the cup twice during the length of the contract was shot to his groin as he put it

I took an interest in this post and did the Googles. It was one Cup he "missed out on" so to speak, but that is presuming that without the trade being made he's still there four more years into the future and that his salary cap space wasn't more beneficial used elsewhere. I mean the guys they got for him were Stoll and Greene, two absolute non-nobodies. Who knows. I really don't feel strongly that this guy was robbed of that Cup, but for sure a dick move to move him when they did.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Tortorella not playing Lou in the outdoor game comes to mind.
Sorry but that abortion was not an outdoor game. It was a cash grab and a terrible idea. The mongoloid that dreamt it up should be shot with a dozen rounds of frozen shitballs.

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
quinn and/or burke planting the "bure threatened to sit out playoff games if his contract wasn't renegotiated" story
That was Don Cherry

That’s a different argument and one I pretty much agree with. It mattered a lot to Lou, though, and it was Tortorella playing his dumb games.
I agree with your point as well. It was a garbage move by Torts

Reactions: quat and Vector

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

And if the Canucks could have put up $25 million, Greg Adams, Kirk McLean and 3 1st round picks, Gretzky would have been a Canuck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad