OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Walkley being a major east - west road and having a speed limit of 50kmh. As it transitions into Baseline road it goes up to 60kmh then as Baseline passes greenbank it goes to 70kmh and it has a speeed camera.
Crazy. They want to make Bank St from the 417 south to the bridge 2 lanes with bus lanes and bike lanes. Madness. Choked off Elgin, Main and Westboro that way. The bridge renos where a fvkup too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm complaining about all cameras and how they are for safety when in reality their sole purpose is to generate profits for the city. Walkley road is a prime example. Jeanne D'Arc is ridiculous.

I would rather complain here thank you because no city official is in favour of losing their share of the pot.

Speed limits are for safety. The are derived by evidence based best practices. Traffic cameras are a means to enforce the limits, and encourage people to actually follow the limits. Again, the use of which is driven by evidence that supports the efficacy. "Really their sole purpose is to generate profits" is speculative nonsense. Ridiculous is complaining about getting fined for exceeding the posted limit when you have only your own actions to blame.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Speed limits are for safety. The are derived by evidence based best practices. Traffic cameras are a means to enforce the limits, and encourage people to actually follow the limits. Again, the use of which is driven by evidence that supports the efficacy. "Really their sole purpose is to generate profits" is speculative nonsense. Ridiculous is complaining about getting fined for exceeding the posted limit when you have only your own actions to blame.
The very same argument can be made why not fine people $10,000 for speeding if you really want to eliminate it? It's because they have determined what the threshold people are willing to "break" the law is and make the penalty just enough that people can pay it for occasionally breaking it. No matter how you want to justify it, it is a money grab by the city which results in them finding a new revenue stream without having to increase taxes. The speed limit around my neighborhood use to be 50kmh. It wasn't until they started instituting "traffic calming measures" that they reduced the speed to 40. This also coincided with the push by this city to make Ottawa a bike friendly zone and start tearing up roadways all over the city a designing poor cycling infrastructure. Speeding was never an issue, excessive speed was. No one has an issue with stunt drivers losing their license or even going to jail. That is truly dangerous, but driving down a 4 lane boulevard or road where sidewalks are separated by a good 5-10 feet of grass doesn't pose a risk to pedestrians or "the children".

Crazy. They want to make Bank St from the 417 south to the bridge 2 lanes with bus lanes and bike lanes. Madness. Choked off Elgin, Main and Westboro that way. The bridge renos where a fvkup too.
What they did to main should be a crime.

Reactions: Loach

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The very same argument can be made why not fine people $10,000 for speeding if you really want to eliminate it? It's because they have determined what the threshold people are willing to "break" the law is and make the penalty just enough that people can pay it for occasionally breaking it. No matter how you want to justify it, it is a money grab by the city which results in them finding a new revenue stream without having to increase taxes. The speed limit around my neighborhood use to be 50kmh. It wasn't until they started instituting "traffic calming measures" that they reduced the speed to 40. This also coincided with the push by this city to make Ottawa a bike friendly zone and start tearing up roadways all over the city a designing poor cycling infrastructure. Speeding was never an issue, excessive speed was. No one has an issue with stunt drivers losing their license or even going to jail. That is truly dangerous, but driving down a 4 lane boulevard or road where sidewalks are separated by a good 5-10 feet of grass doesn't pose a risk to pedestrians or "the children".

Even assuming what you say is true, better to have people who are breaking the law pay that tax rather than the population as a whole, no?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

All I'm hearing is waa waa I want to drive faster.

You make a lot of claims like speeding was never an issue, and most accidents are bikes not pedestrians, Ottawa has poor bike infrastructure or this is just a money grab, but no evidence.

It's all based on feeling for you it seems. You feel it's not needed, or that it's a money grab, just comes off as whining though.

Reactions: Relapsing

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

When they dropped the speed limit to 40kph in your neighborhood did they install traffic cameras?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Walkley being a major east - west road and having a speed limit of 50kmh. As it transitions into Baseline road it goes up to 60kmh then as Baseline passes greenbank it goes to 70kmh and it has a speeed camera.
Pretty sure you mean Walkley which splits into Heron Rd, which then transitions into Baseline….Walkley ends at Riverside (at Mooneys Bay)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
there are three schools in that stretch, St Matts, a catholic highschool, Terry fox, a Middle school (6-8) and Convent Glen Catholic, an elementary school (JK to 6). The speed camera is in between two sets of lights where most crossing occurs for the two schools closer to the highway, but there is a drop to 40 in front of both Terry Fox and convent Glen catholic.

The issue is people were speeding, quite a lot, in that area. Teaching kids to use the sidewalks (they already do, I rarely see kids J walk in that area as there isn't any incentive since the access to the main road from feeders comes at lights) doesn't change the fact that people are speeding. Don't want a fine, it's easy, don't speed. Been driving that stretch of road for about 30 years now and never got a speeding ticket, but I have seen loads of idiots driving way too fast along that stretch.

In their defense, jaywalkers from St Matts have always been a thing with the strip mall across the street. Back in my day, there was a KFC and Pizza Pizza right there, along with the in-store kitchen at the grocery store. Couple that with a long lunch break, and you have half the high school population heading over there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In their defense, jaywalkers from St Matts have always been a thing with the strip mall across the street. Back in my day, there was a KFC and Pizza Pizza right there, along with the in-store kitchen at the grocery store. Couple that with a long lunch break, and you have half the high school population heading over there.
St Matts is nowhere near the speed camera and the addition of a set of lights about ten years ago or maybe more by strip mall on the side closest to the school has greatly reduced any j walking.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah let's blame the jaywalkers and not the people in giant mechanical tanks who can't keep their foot off the gas pedal

Reactions: Relapsing

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

There is 7 cyclists out front the metro supporting more bike paths right now. Most bikes I've seen on the steet at one time ever.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There is 7 cyclists out front the metro supporting more bike paths right now. Most bikes I've seen on the steet at one time ever.
cheating-biker-gets-what-he-deserves-891.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Masked and Loach

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Oh the one in the Glebe? I was wondering what that was.
I went and talked to them. They wanted to give me info....that was from the city site. Told them I had already read and done the questionnaire. I didn't think it was a good idea. Used Elgin, Main Streets and Westboro as examples. Then asked them if they would support the city building a parking garage to replace the parking spots that were removed. They weren't sure how to answer and pointed to OCtransport as the solution. To which I asked if they had taken into consideration the building going up at Lansdown, that many residential homes are now being turned into apartments increasing the population density of the area and that OCT is very bad as it is. Followed that up with the government working from home now. A whole revenue source for local buisnesses is gone, that there is enough stress on the buisnesses in the downtown core. That we shouldn't limit peoples ability to access different parts of the city, that neighbourhoods where being choked off. They said with a better transit system this wouldn't be a problem. I asked if doing something about the buses might be a bigger priority than bike lanes. Just a bunch of dumbasses. No solutions for things. The best part was watching......SUVs pull up, double park in bus lanes to get the tables and tents when they were done....which were in parking spots that they didn't pay the meter for. People need to just fck off. Lmao! You should have come over to the pub and had a beer with me!

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I went and talked to them. They wanted to give me info....that was from the city site. Told them I had already read and done the questionnaire. I didn't think it was a good idea. Used Elgin, Main Streets and Westboro as examples. Then asked them if they would support the city building a parking garage to replace the parking spots that were removed. They weren't sure how to answer and pointed to OCtransport as the solution. To which I asked if they had taken into consideration the building going up at Lansdown, that many residential homes are now being turned into apartments increasing the population density of the area and that OCT is very bad as it is. Followed that up with the government working from home now. A whole revenue source for local buisnesses is gone, that there is enough stress on the buisnesses in the downtown core. That we shouldn't limit peoples ability to access different parts of the city, that neighbourhoods where being choked off. They said with a better transit system this wouldn't be a problem. I asked if doing something about the buses might be a bigger priority than bike lanes. Just a bunch of dumbasses. No solutions for things. The best part was watching......SUVs pull up, double park in bus lanes to get the tables and tents when they were done....which were in parking spots that they didn't pay the meter for. People need to just fck off. Lmao! You should have come over to the pub and had a beer with me!
1722129684729.png

• Haha
Reactions: Loach

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I'm in favor of more biking lanes in general...but higher density and cutting down roads simply don't mix.

I think biking lanes are amazing in new development and places where there is a lot of room to retrofit them, but not the downtown core. Unless WWIII happens and flattens half the city or the Andromeda strain takes out half the population, it's simply too difficult to try and squeeze in bike lanes for a small number of people.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm in favor of more biking lanes in general...but higher density and cutting down roads simply don't mix.

I think biking lanes are amazing in new development and places where there is a lot of room to retrofit them, but not the downtown core. Unless WWIII happens and flattens half the city or the Andromeda strain takes out half the population, it's simply too difficult to try and squeeze in bike lanes for a small number of people.
Exactly. Why not widen all sidewalks in the city that they can and turn them in to bike paths like the ones that zig zag throughout the city? If those are safe for pedestrians and cyclists why can't sidewalks be?

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Add in the fun times on weekends when the NCC closes Queen Elizabeth from Pretoria bridge to 5th Avenue. "Go to Lansdown for all the fun events." It's a nightmare. I have a street permit and if I leave in the morning I have to do laps looking for a spot when I get back. Ottawa should be it's own district. Scrap the provincial, NCC and make something new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad