Player Discussion Andrei Kuzmenko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Sharky isn't a great centerman though. Zary's better but either way, locking up all these spots at the beginning of a rebuild is just bizarre management.

Kuzmenko's too similar to Huberdeau and the Flames are already stuck with the latter for basically forever.

Fair, but Rango is also a LHS RW. So the handedness is an issue.

I remember it being a debate in the Hartley years. Handedness isn't an issue that cannot be overcome, but having the alternate handedness as an option means you don't have to work as hard to overcome it.

Zary, Basha, Gridin, Honzek, Suniev, Pelts etc. are all LHS. Other than Coronato, I don't think we have a top 6 RHS possibility. Coronato and Kuzmenko are literally the only ones.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Fair, but Rango is also a LHS RW. So the handedness is an issue.

I remember it being a debate in the Hartley years. Handedness isn't an issue that cannot be overcome, but having the alternate handedness as an option means you don't have to work as hard to overcome it.

Zary, Basha, Gridin, Honzek, Suniev, Pelts etc. are all LHS. Other than Coronato, I don't think we have a top 6 RHS possibility. Coronato and Kuzmenko are literally the only ones.

Yeah, okay that's a fair point. And maybe on that basis alone a short (i.e. 2 years or less) extension could make some sense, especially if Coleman is moved. Anything longer than that would be a problem though.

Because at 29, Kuzmenko simply isn't a viable longterm solution. And either way, handedness is going to be ongoing problem unless the Flames find a way to draft Roger McQueen and he's probably going to go in the top 3.

For what it's worth, the Flames also have Lipinski, Laing, & Hoskin as right shot forwards.

Reactions: Figgy44

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
“Scorched earth”. The Flames look like they’ll have 4 players under 25 on their roster. Wolf, Zary, Bahl and Pospisil. 5 if you count Pelletier.
And in two years here’s what our roster looks like with forwards who still have contracts:
X-X-X
Huberdeau-Kadri-X
X-X-Rango
X-X-Coleman

If you can find a spot for a young guy or two let me know. I’m pretty sure we can afford to re-sign a player.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, okay that's a fair point. And maybe on that basis alone a short (i.e. 2 years or less) extension could make some sense, especially if Coleman is moved. Anything longer than that would be a problem though.

Because at 29, Kuzmenko simply isn't a viable longterm solution. And either way, handedness is going to be ongoing problem unless the Flames find a way to draft Roger McQueen and he's probably going to go in the top 3.

For what it's worth, the Flames also have Lipinski, Laing, & Hoskin as right shot forwards.

Yep. Schwindt too. But that list is short and the likelihood of them being top 6 forwards or applicable on the PP is low. Bottom 6 RHS options I think we are OK long term.

I agree that a short extension is OK, but not a long one.

I've been beating the drum for wanting to see if there was a way to pry Wright from Seattle. At least that way we have a RHS forward as our 2C at minimum.

It's kinda crazy to think that we had no legitimate top 6 RHS player for a long time until we acquired Lindholm. Then he was the only one until Toffoli, but then he was the only one again until we swapped him for Kuzmenko. I hope we target another top 6 forward option RFA soon.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I'm not interested in extending Kuz. For a Christmas present send him to a playoff team and get back a pick/prospect. I love his personality, but he reminds me too much of Kristian "Useless" Huselius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad