Proposal: [ANA/WPG] Despres for Dano

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Not sure why some Jets fans are so fascinated with trading for life time bottom pairing crap defence while giving up good young prospects.

Christ sake if you want to trade away good prospects at least target good defensive prospects not crap.

GTFO Despres

Agree. One strange trade request and coming from our own fan base. Wouldn't even consider trading Depres for Dano and adding Chiarot is just weird.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
You see only jets fans saying yeah? There is a reason for that. Larsson has the potential to be a top pairing defensemen. Dano doesn't touch that
You seem to have a lot of those.. Both players were drafted 27th in the first round. Dano also has potential to be a top 6 FWD. And who's Larsson going to suplant from the top pairing in the future? Lindholm? don't think so..

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
You seem to have a lot of those.. Both players were drafted 27th in the first round. Dano also has potential to be a top 6 FWD. And who's Larsson going to suplant from the top pairing in the future? Lindholm? don't think so..

1. We have had success drafting good defense prospects for some time now. That doesn't mean we should ship one out for lower value just because we have a surplus of them.

2. Draft position doesn't mean all that much. Plenty of guys drafted throughout the first round fail to make it or to stick in the NHL

3. If Dano were as good as Jets fans say he is, then Chicago should have just kept him last season rather then trade him for Ladd. Dude had a good rookie season followed up with some injury-setback laden seasons. Jury is still out in my opinion, and I have a hard time saying he is much more than a Brandon Pirri caliber player, who as you may notice, hasn't even been signed this offseason yet despite also having one really good season as a young player.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Despres threads never work.
Opposing sides only see this past season with his concussions. And Ducks' fans don't forget how much he looked like a top4 dman the year before.
There is 0 way to gauge his value until this season begins and we see which Despres comes to play. Until then, there is no point in putting him in any threads because the risk, with that contract, can potentially be a big one.
I personally have faith he will come back to his top form. He has so many great tools and he put them all to use when he played with Fowler at the end of 14-15. But until we know for sure, he is risky.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015

Make a poll. Dano vs larsson if you want. Draft position doesn't mean anything when larsson was playing top 4 mins and some 26 mins on the SHL champion team as an 18 year old.

Only Theodore and larsson have top pairing potential. You know how jets have ehlers, Connor and laine? No one bats an eye calling them a potential top line wingers.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Potential top pairing prospects?

Two. Larsson and Theodore. I wouldn't include Montour. That may change. Just like, over time, Larsson or Theodore may drop below top pairing potential.

So, currently, two D prospects with top pairing potential. Is there some strange definition of a lot, that I'm just unaware of? Because, by any normal definition, that is not a lot. It's more than most teams have, yes, but Anaheim is also well known for their drafting prowess when it comes to D talent.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Despres threads never work.
Opposing sides only see this past season with his concussions. And Ducks' fans don't forget how much he looked like a top4 dman the year before.

There is 0 way to gauge his value until this season begins and we see which Despres comes to play. Until then, there is no point in putting him in any threads because the risk, with that contract, can potentially be a big one.
I personally have faith he will come back to his top form. He has so many great tools and he put them all to use when he played with Fowler at the end of 14-15. But until we know for sure, he is risky.

90% of trade threads turn out this way :

(A) player is over-rated by own fan base , (B) player had a bad year so the player is now and forever **** , (C) prospect > actual NHL player

its not just Despres threads

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

(A) player is over-rated by own fan base , (B) player had a bad year so the player is now and forever **** , (C) prospect > actual NHL player

So true :laugh: this board basically exists for two fanbases to yell at each other

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Despres is okay. But if were going after a dman I want a legit top 4. I'd be willing to pay a price and would prefer it if one of our righties (Myers) were included to relieve some of our Dcore spending. We'd likely be trading with a team that has a lefty-righty imbalance to our righty-lefty imbalance.

Agreed or a prospect with legit top 4 potential

You see only jets fans saying yeah? There is a reason for that. Larsson has the potential to be a top pairing defensemen. Dano doesn't touch that

You may over rating Larsson a tad IMO, he may become top 4 I agree but top pairing is a bit of a stretch. Dano is easy 3rd liner now with potential to be 2nd line "maybe" one day. Dano is more proven to this point, albeit both have a lot to prove still.

Personally I would love to keep Dano and play him on the 3rd line the whole year and watch him produce. No interest in trading for a guy like Despres, if we ever did flip a F prospect or Stafford for D prospect much sooner see that.....whoever the prospect is.

We have Buff and Myers right side. Toby and Trouba left side. Josh M likely makes the team this year plays bottom pairing left side. We then have few guys that can play right side bottom pairing or extra 7th guy. We have no "urgent" need for left side guys, sooner trade for prospects then get some washed up guy or career bottom pairing guy....those guys are a dime a dozen.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

You're right but this is an extreme since there is a significant, negative deviation in his play from one year to the next (due to an injury, but still). He played at 2 noticeably different levels in 2 consecutive seasons, on a negative trend. That's not the case with most players his age.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Don't need Chiarot, but I also don't know if Winnipeg would give up on Dano.

Good post.

I feel Dano is more valuable, and his contract is much much smaller.. Adding Chiarot just makes this proposal worse in terms of value coming back. Depres would be nice on the bottom pairing, but I'd rather see what we have in Morrisey. Dano for Larsson on the other hand I think could be a point of discussion.

Only if you want to get a no and end the discussion. We are not trading our 1st round pick defenseman who has played well in Europe against grown men.

9/10 Jet's - Ducks thread about D men always turns to ****. From my point of view, SOME Duck fans on here believe that every D man they have are top pairing, worth the ****ing moon +++ and see lots of >>>> and lmao thrown around everywhere. to a point where it's getting ridiculous. Despres is not a crap D man, however ideally he would be in your bottom pairing, and 3.7 per year is a steep price to pay for a bottom pairing D man.

Lindholm and Fowler are top pair quality defenseman. Ducks fans are not call so many of our defenseman top pair quality. Despres and Manson have both complimented Fowler and Lindholm well before but that doesn't mean they are top pair quality defenseman.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I`d take the Despres/Dano swap and i disagree that Despres is a bottom pairing material.

We don`t need Chiarot and not intereested giving up Larsson tho.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
From a Jets fan buddy of mine

Things we now know about Marko Dano

- will be a 1st line winger
- will be a 50-70 point player that is a beast on the PP
- will have a higher career high in points than Ladd (63 points)
- by NO means projects to be a 3rd liner
- wouldn't trade him straight up for Drouin
- Drouin has maybe a little more talent than Dano (but not much)
- has waaaay more pure skill than a Gallagher
- Danos iq and skillset is elite
- his vision is top notch
- his skill set is phenomal
- he is a very elusive player with great stick skills and vision

This is perhaps slightly a bit too optimistic but i can't disagree with much of it tbh

Marko Dano

2016-17

75 gp - 18 g - 25 a - 43 pts

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Dano is a 21 year old with 31 points in 69 NHL games. If he hadn't been traded twice already silly posts like these wouldn't exist. Larsson could still (and likely will) turn in to nothing more than an ok NHL player, if he even makes the show at all.

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
Dano is a 21 year old with 31 points in 69 NHL games. If he hadn't been traded twice already silly posts like these wouldn't exist. Larsson could still (and likely will) turn in to nothing more than an ok NHL player, if he even makes the show at all.

Two can play at that game. Despres for Connor. After all Connor could still (and likely will) turn in to nothing more than an ok NHL player, if he even makes the show at all.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Two can play at that game. Despres for Connor. After all Connor could still (and likely will) turn in to nothing more than an ok NHL player, if he even makes the show at all.
Boy that's sure a good comparison, what with Connor likely playing in the NHL in his draft +2 year and Larsson almost certain to still be over in Sweden in his draft +3 year

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
Boy that's sure a good comparison, what with Connor likely playing in the NHL in his draft +2 year and Larsson almost certain to still be over in Sweden in his draft +3 year

How on earth do you with such certainty know where Larsson will play in two years? Are you working for the Ducks management or something?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Marko Dano clearly gonna sruprise so many people this yaer tbh

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I read through the entire Eklund-Fowler rumor thread and now this thread and just can't believe there are hockey fans out that don't see that Fowler is a top pairing defenseman and Despres is a good top four defenseman, or that when they are both healthy and playing together they make a very effective pairing capable of taking on top pairing assignments. What gets me even more is that when these fans of other teams are confronted about this by actual ducks fans on here who watch every game, they refuse to concede even an inch in the argument/discussion/whatever the f* that Fowler thread turned into. There must be some sort of mental condition that sports fans have, where they think they know more about an opposing team and its players than the die hard fans of that team.

Anyway, I'm not as high on Dano as most seem to be, but we need to move a d-man or two and I'd rather that be Despres over Fowler. If Dano or a comparable talent is the return, I'm fine with that.

If homerism did not exist that first paragraph would make sense.

mytduxfan*

Potential top pairing prospects?

Two. Larsson and Theodore. I wouldn't include Montour. That may change. Just like, over time, Larsson or Theodore may drop below top pairing potential.

So, currently, two D prospects with top pairing potential. Is there some strange definition of a lot, that I'm just unaware of? Because, by any normal definition, that is not a lot. It's more than most teams have, yes, but Anaheim is also well known for their drafting prowess when it comes to D talent.

Does Larsson really have top pairing potential? IMO, his game is similar to that Hjalmersson's. Therefore, I think he'd make a good #3, but he's gonna have to pick up his physicality if he is to meet such a projection.

I don't necessarily agree with this in the case of Despres. I'd be more then willing to let him go, and I'm actually expecting him to be picked up during the expansion draft (assuming Fowler is moved and we protect Lindholm, Vatanen and Manson).

IMO, this is just another classic case of over-estimating the potential development of a prospect. Happens all the time. On here, all prospects have higher ceilings then they should and they always meet those projections. IMO, Dano for Despres is a pretty fair value. However, if it meant we could somehow keep Fowler, I'd gladly move Despres for less though.

You're going to lose Despres in the expansion draft so might as well keep the cupboards full

Probably.

D-men take longer to develop then forwards... so...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would do Despres for Dano straight up.. maybe small adds to balance it out a bit. I like dano tho.

Clears up a spot for Theodore in our top 6, free up a bit of money... I honestly feel Theodore played good enough in the season last year to warrant him playing in the top 6 unfortunetly it seems we don't have room for it as of now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad