Proposal: [ANA/WPG] Despres for Dano

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ok, so he did good in his rookie year, limited games.

Didn't work in Chicago.

21 games and 8 points in Winnipeg.

I understand why the Ducks would take the risk/deal, I just don't get Winnipeg's "value" of him.

Dano was deadly in CBJ as a rookie. I was so mad when he was traded but I understood why it was done. I kind of wish CBJ would re acquire him

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm genuinely curious about how much thought you put into this post. Despres is not crap. At worst he's a bottom pairing guy. At best he's a solid, top-4 dman who skates well and can play with a physical edge.

Unfortunately he never was able to fully recover from his concussion at the beginning of last season. With that said many players have taken long periods of time to recover from concussions. He may never recover, which is definitely a risk, or he may come back and play like he did when he was first acquired (big, quick, and tough top-4 dman).

Time will tell with Despres, but he's far from crap.

Dude come on, we all know he's crap.....all bottom pairing guys are crap. How many teams have 3 top 4 guys on one side? Very few. Mark Stuart is crap also, no biggie. Dano is a very good young prospect, no way on gods green earth would I want to trade Dano for Despres. Bottom pairing D are cheap and easy to find, no reason to trade a good prospect for one.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Dude come on, we all know he's crap.....all bottom pairing guys are crap. How many teams have 3 top 4 guys on one side? Very few. Mark Stuart is crap also, no biggie. Dano is a very good young prospect, no way on gods green earth would I want to trade Dano for Despres. Bottom pairing D are cheap and easy to find, no reason to trade a good prospect for one.

You're entitled to that interpretation, but Despres isn't crap. He just wasn't healthy last season.

Whether you'd be willing to move Dano for him is another discussion entirely, but Despres isn't crap.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You're entitled to that interpretation, but Despres isn't crap. He just wasn't healthy last season.

Whether you'd be willing to move Dano for him is another discussion entirely, but Despres isn't crap.

We can disagree, that's cool. But IMO he offers the Jets virtually nothing over our current bottom pairing guys. He's better then Stuart (most are) but I don't see him as any upgrade over Chariot (who is nothing special bottom pairing guy also).

I would puke if we traded Dano for Despres or any other bottom pairing crappy D.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really don't understand why Dano is so highly valued.

Can someone explain it to me?

From a Jets fan buddy of mine

Things we now know about Marko Dano

- will be a 1st line winger
- will be a 50-70 point player that is a beast on the PP
- will have a higher career high in points than Ladd (63 points)
- by NO means projects to be a 3rd liner
- wouldn't trade him straight up for Drouin
- Drouin has maybe a little more talent than Dano (but not much)
- has waaaay more pure skill than a Gallagher
- Danos iq and skillset is elite
- his vision is top notch
- his skill set is phenomal
- he is a very elusive player with great stick skills and vision

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Agreed(separate from Dano's value) that Despres is a valuable defenseman. He can skate, he's very physical, and can move the puck.

There is a reason he got that contract.

He might be overpaid by 700k, but looking at the term, it's fair.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
But since, what has he done? I'm stat watching(and watched him play several times) and can't see the value/fascination.

What am I missing?

I kinda figured once hawks acquired him he would spend majority of the time in AHL, which he did. Just cause that's what Hawks do.. and he was a main piece in Ladd deal and apparently he was pretty good in his short time with Jets so far. Im anticipating a strong year from him next season now that he is hopefully settled in. Im very eager to see how he does in a full season in one spot.

He can put up points and plays physical. Rookie year in 35 games with CBJ, he had 21 points and 94 hits.

31 points in 69 games so far in his NHL career is pretty good seeing what hes been through already and 156 total hits in those games

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
We can disagree, that's cool. But IMO he offers the Jets virtually nothing over our current bottom pairing guys. He's better then Stuart (most are) but I don't see him as any upgrade over Chariot (who is nothing special bottom pairing guy also).

I would puke if we traded Dano for Despres or any other bottom pairing crappy D.

When healthy, he isn't a bottom pairing defenseman. He's a solid top 4, who has shown he can be complementary in a top pairing role.

And that sounds like a health problem. I'd look into that. Ignorance shouldn't cause vomiting.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I like Dano a lot but that projection is his ceiling, he's unlikely to be that player. I also don't think he's anything close to Drouin.

Of course not, the guys post wasn't serious, no one really expects that. It was a joke. Example Despres is a top pairing D on most teams......see how that works?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Agreed(separate from Dano's value) that Despres is a valuable defenseman. He can skate, he's very physical, and can move the puck.

There is a reason he got that contract.

He might be overpaid by 700k, but looking at the term, it's fair.

The big question with him is his health, and how he rebounds from the concussion. Concussions can obviously have lingering side effects. For that reason, I'd understand if someone wasn't interested in a trade for him.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
When healthy, he isn't a bottom pairing defenseman. He's a solid top 4, who has shown he can be complementary in a top pairing role.

And that sounds like a health problem. I'd look into that. Ignorance shouldn't cause vomiting.

Yeh you keep believing that.....top pairing.....oh brother. :shakehead

Did you know Stuart and Chariot played periods on the top pairing? Doesn't mean they belong there or even in anyone's top 4.

We agree to disagree, you keep Despres (top 4 guy) and we can keep our apparently top 4 guys Chariot and Stuart.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Did you know Stuart and Chariot played periods on the top pairing? Doesn't mean they belong there or even in anyone's top 4.

Despres belonged there, and was actually successful there.

The part that makes me shake my head is your assertion that you know better about an Anaheim player, than Anaheim fans. You're speaking from a place of ignorance. Stop pretending you're coming to your conclusions based on an informed opinion.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I kinda figured once hawks acquired him he would spend majority of the time in AHL, which he did. Just cause that's what Hawks do.. and he was a main piece in Ladd deal and apparently he was pretty good in his short time with Jets so far. Im anticipating a strong year from him next season now that he is hopefully settled in. Im very eager to see how he does in a full season in one spot.

He can put up points and plays physical. Rookie year in 35 games with CBJ, he had 21 points and 94 hits.

31 points in 69 games so far in his NHL career is pretty good seeing what hes been through already and 156 total hits in those games

If that's the case, then why didn't Chicago play him more?

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

We agree to disagree, you keep Despres (top 4 guy) and we can keep our apparently top 4 guys Chariot and Stuart.

Ignorant much?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Despres belonged there, and was actually successful there.

The part that makes me shake my head is your assertion that you know better about an Anaheim player, than Anaheim fans. You're speaking from a place of ignorance. Maybe you should learn to accept you don't know everything about an opposing team's play.

Did you know Stuart and Chariot looked decent/ok on top pairing for short periods of time?

You can't judge a player on his performance on a small sample size.

Like I said we can agree to disagree, you keep all your top pairing guys, you have a long list of them apparently.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Ignorant much?

Why b/c I don't agree Despres is top 4 or capable of top pairing guy? This is a forum, the point is to post your opinion and debate.

I simply stated I wouldn't trade Dano for IMO a bottom pairing D. If you get hurt feelings over that.....well I can't help that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with this. I think the Jets like Chiarot quite a bit. I am not that high on Depres and would look elsewhere for LHD if Dano is on the block.

Somebody suggested Dano for Larsson. Thats more like it I think. Larsson is still quite a way from the NHL but he has decent upside too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Did you know Stuart and Chariot looked decent/ok on top pairing for short periods of time?

You can't judge a player on his performance on a small sample size.

Like I said we can agree to disagree, you keep all your top pairing guys, you have a long list of them apparently.

First off, I never said Despres was a top pairing guy. I said he was effective in a complementary role. As in, he and Fowler worked well together in that role. Separate from Fowler, that doesn't mean he can handle a top pairing role. But with Fowler, they worked well together.

Secondly, whether Stuart and Chariot looked decent really isn't relevant. I'm not saying they are complementary top pairing guys. I wouldn't try to say that, because I don't watch them enough. You might want to learn the difference between an informed opinion, and just making an assumption. You're doing the latter. You've come to your conclusion, not based on facts or observations, but by your own assumptions that Despres is a poor quality player because, why? It clearly isn't from viewing him for more than a game or two. And yes, I'm assuming there, because either you aren't watching him, or you're just not a particularly good judge of opposing players.

Anaheim has two of them. Fowler and Lindholm. That's not a long list, but I suppose when you're lacking facts you need to resort to exaggeration.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Somebody suggested Dano for Larsson. Thats more like it I think. Larsson is still quite a way from the NHL but he has decent upside too.

Agreed.

Dano for Larrson I would agree with and see logic in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad