Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
So the kid wants to be closer to a next pay day while the cap is lower, instead of slaying puck bunnies for another year in college and cashing in when the cap is higher.

Makes sense.

Well hell if that's the thinking, why delay just one year then? Might as well delay two ... or three. At some point, the calculus would have tipped the other way, and he'd have been better off not signing at all, finishing college, and going UFA.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I have hard time liking any player who refuses to sign a NHL contract with any team, but i think its because im from the other side of the atlantic, and also of the generation that it wasnt even a dream for any of us. When i was 19 if anyone would have given me a contract to sign for 20years for any NHL team for 100k/year, 15 people with crowbars would not have gotten the pen off my hand before i signed it.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I have hard time liking any player who refuses to sign a NHL contract with any team, but i think its because im from the other side of the atlantic, and also of the generation that it wasnt even a dream for any of us. When i was 19 if anyone would have given me a contract to sign for 20years for any NHL team for 100k/year, 15 people with crowbars would not have gotten the pen off my hand before i signed it.

OK let's get you to bed.

6swyt2.jpg

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Yep, theAthletic Flyers reporter Kevin Kurz confirming that Flyers were ready to sign Gauthier as early as (or only as early as) May 2023 after the Worlds.

When they did talk at that time, Gauthier confirmed simply he no longer wanted to play for the Flyers at al, and then ceased communications

So yeah...if Gauthier wanted to sign earlier e.g. to qualify the 2022-23 season as his first contracted year, and Flyers did not, that makes it a reasonable breaking point. But talking it thru beforehand seems like it would also been a reasonable path.

So be it.

In the Zemula interview, he also suggests that Russians, and Europeans, will work like crazy to achieve an NHL dream, even today, whereas Canadian and American teammates regard it much more of a natural progression.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

You might have felt differently if you knew that if you waited a few more years you'd easily get much, much more.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
In the Zemula interview, he also suggests that Russians, and Europeans, will work like crazy to achieve an NHL dream, even today, whereas Canadian and American teammates regard it much more of a natural progression.
Gotta be a pretty great player even in NA, to think NHL is your "natural progression" but i get what you mean.

Reactions: eramosat

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The Flyers burnt a year of Lyon's ELC without him playing a game

I get you hate the Flyers but Fletcher was the GM at that time and he didn't know what the hell he was doing hence the dumb 7 year contract to Kevin Hayes when no other team was competing with him. Briere and Jones are trying to take the Flyers in another direction so if Gauthier's feelings were hurt because he wanted to sign when the Flyers didn't want to have an overage against the cap then I really don't give a shit about Gauthier's feelings. Briere is trying to clean up Fletcher's f***ed up signings and bad trades, so if you want to keep hating the Flyers be my guest because there are better things to worry about then a sports franchise.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
So the Flyers lost an elite prospect they drafted 5th overall in order to avoid a $100k cap charge in a year where they probably won't make the playoffs and have a 0% chance of winning the Cup. Is this the worst run team in the league?
Yeah, exactly. A franchise, backed by the $ of a megacorp, that has never cut corners on costs, decides that is what they'd do. How realistic does that seem to you?

It's totally unfactual.

Reactions: Breeze 44

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know, but he is a high draft pick guy and has his WJC and college perf to bet on teams to pay him.

What? he cannot wait? Is he bankrupt or something?

I get you want to seal the deal but come on. Know your place. You are not making your debut as a pro yet. Calm down.

His place is using his leverage to do the best for him and his career. Which I guess he did...

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
You might have felt differently if you knew that if you waited a few more years you'd easily get much, much more.
True true, but we are talking about a 19yo kid here. I would be so stoked to play for any NHL team who cares. Also i bet John Klingberg's agent used that same argument if you switch years to weeks.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I think you overestimate how long it has been when kids in Finland have been thinking "yeah, im gonna be a NHL player".
I'm just messing with you.

You have to realize the life that these major sports top draft pick guys live leading up to actually being drafted.

These are kids who are the best of the best, everyone around them knows they will be a millionaire and they are constantly coddled / pumped up on the way to achieving this.

This life is completely foreign to me and everyone else here.

Reactions: Yemeth and pth2

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah, exactly. A franchise, backed by the $ of a megacorp, that has never cut corners on costs, decides that is what they'd do. How realistic does that seem to you?

It's totally unfactual.
Elliotte Friedman report is "totally unfactual" because some guy on the internet says it is. Okay.

This theory makes way more sense than "Kevin Hayes told him to do it" or "he didn't want to play for Torts knowing full well NHL teams change coaches every 2-3 years." Maybe the Flyers just didn't think Gauthier was NHL ready and used the bonus overage thing as an excuse but either way they're the ones who f***ed this up.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
It's a win-win. The whole league gets to see what a tire fire the Flyers organization is and the Flyers avoid having to disappoint the whole fanbase, as they've been selling Gauthier as a future #1 C.

I also don't blame Gauthier one bit. The Friedman bit about him having to earn his spot is the Flyers' MO. Top 5 pick? Go play with Deslauriers, Poehling, and assorted trash and earn your time. And don't even think about PP time yet, buddy. Why would any talented top pick want to deal with that trash? This isn't even just about Tortorella, this has been going on forever here.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I'm just messing with you.

You have to realize the life that these major sports top draft pick guys live leading up to actually being drafted.

These are kids who are the best of the best, everyone around them knows they will be a millionaire and they are constantly coddled / pumped up on the way to achieving this.

This life is completely foreign to me and everyone else here.
Yeah i know, but i can only remember 1 player from the whole country that was rumored to be a future NHL player, and everyone elses dream was the local top league. The NHL was and in some parts still is like a fairytale dream in here. Very few, if any kids in Finland grow up "knowing they will be millionaires" playing hockey. Even player like Barkov who i consider #1 or #2 finnish player atm, was not praised as future NHL star when he was like 15, damn i played with him on the outdoor rink when he was 15.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
So the Flyers lost an elite prospect they drafted 5th overall in order to avoid a $100k cap charge in a year where they probably won't make the playoffs and have a 0% chance of winning the Cup. Is this the worst run team in the league?
Only for people who actually BELIEVE that shit... but please , go on.

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad