Proposal: ANA / MTL at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Regardless, I doubt any of Guhle, 5th OA, or Reinbacher are on the trade table. We are interested in Zegras but not desperate.

And looking at it from the other side, the Ducks are not desperate either. They have no cap issues, he's not UFA for many more years, and they're organizationally deep at C, D, and G. They already had a good prospect pool, then had 6 picks in rounds 1-3 last year and have seven more this year.

"Here, have a guy who'd be your 4th best D prospect and another pick that will only likely get you your 5-6th best u23 forward" isn't gonna cut it.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think the contract negotiation thing got blown way out or proportion....

Drysdale and Zegras were PVs first RFA negotiations, ahead of a lot of guys that will be RFA in the next 3 years.... i think PV wanted to set the tone and not end up in a situation like Toronto where RFAS walked all over dubas.

Hell if Caufield sticks around his play this season.... that contract isnt great at all. I think PV just wanted to make it known his RFAs are going to need to earn their pay days.
You've been on HFBoards long enough to know heated contract negotiations always creates speculation on here.

And not to get off topic, but what? Caufield cleaned up his previous defensive issues and seriously improved his overall game. Even if a guy whose calling card is his shot ends up being a sub-10% shooter instead of his previous 12-16% rate, he still performed at a level his contract suggests.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
and the hardball contract negotiations.
Zero details of which ever came out.

PV could have wanted a long term at an AAV that Z didn't like
PV could have offered medium length term at a decent AAV but Z wanted longer/shorter term
Z could have wanted long term at an AAV that he might/might not grow into
Z could have wanted a single year "I'll prove to you what I'm worth..." contract
Or any combination of the above other than what was settled on, a bridge contract with a not outrageous AAV for what he currently brings

But again, zero details came out so nobody knows if it was even hardball on one or both sides. It could have been a very amicable PV: "Here's our position", Z: "Here's mine", hmmm "Let's meet in the middle". But the only people who know aren't/haven't talked.

Much like the trade speculation, the 'only' people driving that narrative are the 'journalists' trying to get clicks/eyeballs on their articles. Unfortunately, once it's out there, much like "The Ducks are tired of Z & want to trade him", the speculations fits some people's narrative & they run wild with it ... with nothing at all to back it up.

/I'll be very glad when the draft is here & gone, hopefully some of this will die down

Edit: And like Z2sh said (that I completely forgot about) it's also probably a lot of PV setting negotiation tones for all the upcoming RFAs that will deserve decent contracts.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think the only deal that could be made on draft day is IF Chicago grabs Demidov (or Lidstrom for that matter) a trade where Montreal acquires pick 3 and Anaheim gets pick 5+ (maybe 26 or 2 second rounders). Montreal does it to get Lidstrom (or Demidov as the case may be) as Columbus would likely try to grab the remaining player at 4. Anaheim does this because they accumulate assets and will still likely get Levshunov at 5 as all the discussion seems to be Columbus wanting a forward. I've heard that they're also high on Sennecke, though I have no idea on their thoughts of Levshunov.

Obviously if Chicago grabs Levshunov, there is no need for a deal.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Zero details of which ever came out.

PV could have wanted a long term at an AAV that Z didn't like
PV could have offered medium length term at a decent AAV but Z wanted longer/shorter term
Z could have wanted long term at an AAV that he might/might not grow into
Z could have wanted a single year "I'll prove to you what I'm worth..." contract
Or any combination of the above other than what was settled on, a bridge contract with a not outrageous AAV for what he currently brings

But again, zero details came out so nobody knows if it was even hardball on one or both sides. It could have been a very amicable PV: "Here's our position", Z: "Here's mine", hmmm "Let's meet in the middle". But the only people who know aren't/haven't talked.

Much like the trade speculation, the 'only' people driving that narrative are the 'journalists' trying to get clicks/eyeballs on their articles. Unfortunately, once it's out there, much like "The Ducks are tired of Z & want to trade him", the speculations fits some people's narrative & they run wild with it ... with nothing at all to back it up.

/I'll be very glad when the draft is here & gone, hopefully some of this will die down

Edit: And like Z2sh said (that I completely forgot about) it's also probably a lot of PV setting negotiation tones for all the upcoming RFAs that will deserve decent contracts.

Some of y'all really need to learn the difference between debates on a fan forum, what actual insiders say vs. how people misinterpret them and what happens away from the public.

Although lets not pretend that negotiations that prevent a player from starting at training camp weren't hardball on at least one side. Its not like it was peaceful and Zegras and/or Verbeek decided training camp wasn't a big deal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Some of y'all really need to learn the difference between debates on a fan forum, what actual insiders say vs. how people misinterpret them and what happens away from the public.

Although lets not pretend that negotiations that prevent a player from starting at training camp weren't hardball on at least one side. Its not like it was peaceful and Zegras and/or Verbeek decided training camp wasn't a big deal.
We really don’t know that it wasn’t, zegras has talked pv up in interviews

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
We really don’t know that it wasn’t, zegras has talked pv up in interviews

There's a difference between hardball and contentious. And I never said it was Verbeek playing hardball, just that at least one side was.

Nylander sat out until the last minute on his second contract, and he and Dubas always liked each other.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
We trade you the more valuable player and we add a 2nd to that?

Nope!

We will simply draft the best forward on our list at 5 and you guys can draft Levshunov and trade Zegras to someone for alot less than you think you'll get for him.

Reactions: Miller Time

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We trade you the more valuable player and we add a 2nd to that?

Nope!

We will simply draft the best forward on our list at 5 and you guys can draft Levshunov and trade Zegras to someone for alot less than you think you'll get for him.
Or we can just keep him

And draft levshunov saliyev buium or Dickinson

No need to get pissy cause we don’t want your trash

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
and 26 + aint worth zegras

Hes easily worth reinbacher.
There's clearly no fit. Zegras may be worth Reinbacher in a vacuum. But here's the thing. Hughes passed on very talented wingers with the 5th to take Reinbacher. I doubt he's willing to turn around less than a year later and move him for a talented (and more proven) winger with far less team control left.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montréal passed on Mitchkov to take Reinbacher

So we can safely say that he ain't going to be traded anytime soon, unless Reinbacher himself wants out

Reactions: HabsQC and Dog

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There's clearly no fit. Zegras may be worth Reinbacher in a vacuum. But here's the thing. Hughes passed on very talented wingers with the 5th to take Reinbacher. I doubt he's willing to turn around less than a year later and move him for a talented (and more proven) winger with far less team control left.

And again I have no issue with this type of rational… and apologize to the habs fans that respond with reasonable reasons as to why they wouldn’t do the trade. It’s more the annoying false takes, that claim he isn’t something based on 0 evidence

Personally I couldn’t tell you why Montreal made that decision(I’m sure you have more insight)…. But I think it’s fairly obvious now that they do need forward talent(prob more skilled help than anything)… just a wait and see game on how much they are willing to spend to address that need and who will fill that need. Plenty of non zegras options, I think the appeal to zegras is he has another couple levels he can raise too if things go well.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Considering Chicago draft Demidov at number 2:

Anaheim trade Zegras to Montreal for Reinbacher and a 2nd 2025.
Anaheim then draft Lindstrom
Montreal draft Levshunov, Dickinson or Buium at 5.

Anaheim gets a big forward that fits their identity and a solid RD prospect.
They go from Zegras, Levshunov to Reinbacher, Lindstrom

Montreal gets the help they need in front and still have a solid D prospect.
They go from Reinbacher, Lindstrom (or a forward other than Demidov) to Zegras, antoher top D prospect.

Of course that implied that MTL want Zegras

What do you think?
Nope. RB 1:1 is a no.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Considering Chicago draft Demidov at number 2:

Anaheim trade Zegras to Montreal for Reinbacher and a 2nd 2025.
Anaheim then draft Lindstrom
Montreal draft Levshunov, Dickinson or Buium at 5.

Anaheim gets a big forward that fits their identity and a solid RD prospect.
They go from Zegras, Levshunov to Reinbacher, Lindstrom

Montreal gets the help they need in front and still have a solid D prospect.
They go from Reinbacher, Lindstrom (or a forward other than Demidov) to Zegras, antoher top D prospect.

Of course that implied that MTL want Zegras

What do you think?
no thank you, from habs pov

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Reinbacher, Guhle and Hutson are going nowhere.

The only trade I can see between the two teams is #3 for #5+, depending on what happens with Chicago at 2.

Reactions: Ford Prefect

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I don't see any deal around Z that is available where the Ducks would be happy with the return. That's not even exclusive to the Habs.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Or we can just keep him

And draft levshunov saliyev buium or Dickinson

No need to get pissy cause we don’t want your trash
I'm not pissy. I don't want ypur trash. If he's so great yes you should keep him, but he's on the trade block and thus is confirmed by Ducks management.

We don't want Zegras, especially for what you're asking.

If he's traded Ducks will definitely not get what you fans expect, just like 95% of all trades.

• Haha
Reactions: MD93

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm not pissy. I don't want ypur trash. If he's so great yes you should keep him, but he's on the trade block and thus is confirmed by Ducks management.

If he's traded Ducks will definitely not get what you fans expect, just like 95% of all trades.
literally untrue. why do habs fans keep spreading lies like this?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Again just making things up…. No one has confirmed him on the trade block.

Really cause Montreal has initiated conversations on a few occasions involving him.

Is that an exact #? Maybe he just won’t get traded…. Maybe he’s not realistically available?

If the ducks trade him, he’ll likely go for a pretty good haul…. Not trash like 26 + barron

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

And conversely, the other young RFA the Ducks signed last summer for half of what they paid Zegras was traded for a blue chip prospect. I doubt Verbeek is willing to deal a more valuable asset in Zegras for a lesser return than he got for Drysdale less than a year later.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Zegras is definitely going to Montreal.

Buffalo counters by acquiring Kappo Kakko from the Rangers for their 2nd this year.

The Habs will then flip Joshua Roy to the Kings for Alex Turcotte

Tom Fitzgerald quietly sits and waits as the offers escalate.

In the race to acquire the entire 2019 1st round nothing is off limits

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Zegras makes flashy goals and some Habs fans obsessed with him. But they same fans obsessed with Dubois a year ago.

Reactions: Habssince89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad