Proposal: ANA / MTL at the draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For sure, it would just be a mistake to think the level of interest is "heavy" or pretend to have any idea of how serious the interest is.
Just like its a mistake to assume PV has interest in moving him cheap just because hes listened to offers from montreal.

soemtimes its just curiosity, checking options

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Just like its a mistake to assume PV has interest in moving him cheap just because hes listened to offers from montreal.

soemtimes its just curiosity, checking options

Which is exactly what Montreal is doing by checking in.

Montreal calls on everybody and bigger names generate more articles. Zegras isn't even the name most mentioned as a trade possibility. But it sounds like from insiders and people in the know is that Montreal's mostly nibbling and a trade they may make will look more like the Dach (young player trade from position of strength to address weakness) or the Newhook deal.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Which is exactly what Montreal is doing by checking in.

Montreal calls on everybody and bigger names generate more articles. Zegras isn't even the name most mentioned as a trade possibility. But it sounds like from insiders and people in the know is that Montreal's mostly nibbling and a trade they may make will look more like the Dach (young player trade from position of strength to address weakness) or the Newhook deal.
Which zegras isnt that type of player you are buying on, so itll be significantly more expensive than Dach/Newhook as zegras is much better than either at time of trade and now.

Reactions: go4hockey

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Which zegras isnt that type of player you are buying on, so itll be significantly more expensive than Dach/Newhook as zegras is much better than either at time of trade and now.

I'd disagree on the implied view of Zegras as I've never been a huge fan, but its pretty obvious Montreal wouldn't pay the price Anahiem would set.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd disagree on the implied view of Zegras as I've never been a huge fan, but its pretty obvious Montreal wouldn't pay the price Anahiem would set.
We dont know that... all we know is montreal didnt want to pay Guhle/Reinbacher + but we have 0 clue what the + was.

A Loyal DEMIGOD

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I would be open to trade the following for Zegras:

- 26th OV
- 1 of Mailloux/Matheson (I know he's not really a need for ANA, considering his age, but he can be flipped and is easily worth a mid-1st)
- Dvorak (UFA in 2025)
- 1 of Mesar/Tuch/Farrell

I know it's mostly a quality for quantity trade, but ANA could either take Mailloux or take Matheson and flip him + 26th for maybe Devils 10th OV? And they get a good prospect in 1 of Mesar/Tuch/Farrell, and a warm body in Dvorak.

Carlssonsznnn

Mar 27, 2024
Safe to say he'd be the 1st or 2nd dman dtafted this year after Levshunov
I think you could argue that buium, dickinson, and silayev would be picked before reinbacher (not saying they're definitely better, but I think "safe to say" is a stretch)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Great. Another thread where Habs fans can say Zegras is overrated and shouldn’t garner more than a Tim Hortons gift card and a 7th

Hummmm.

Well, the guy has a bad reputation and just coming from a bad year

And Verbeek demand for him are a top 4 RHD or/plus a top 6 RH forward?

Sorry, but it's delusional. At that price nobody will pull the trigger.

Want it or not, his bad reputation and a down year is affecting his trade value.

Habs won't give their best defense prospects for him, not a chance.

So let's agree to disagree, keep your shit we'll keep our.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I would be open to trade the following for Zegras:

- 26th OV
- 1 of Mailloux/Matheson (I know he's not really a need for ANA, considering his age, but he can be flipped and is easily worth a mid-1st)
- Dvorak (UFA in 2025)
- 1 of Mesar/Tuch/Farrell

I know it's mostly a quality for quantity trade, but ANA could either take Mailloux or take Matheson and flip him + 26th for maybe Devils 10th OV? And they get a good prospect in 1 of Mesar/Tuch/Farrell, and a warm body in Dvorak.
Ducks aren't looking for downgrades and redundant pieces or doing all the work for a maybe of another trade for another downgrade. In most years, there's about 3 players better then Zegras in the top 10 (not counting last year). Why would the Ducks move him for essentially maybe a #10 pick or more likely 3 pieces that will be lesser pieces that the Ducks have in the system? If Zegras is moved, it'll be something like the Drysdale trade... 1 for 1 or a small add to Z to get a better player.

If the price for young, 60+ point players is a late first and lesser prospects, Ducks would rather add one of those than subtract. Edm 1st and a couple of lesser prospects (not Zellweger/Gauthier/3rd overall) is easy to pay.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
and 26 + aint worth zegras

Even if it somehow were, there's a long list of teams with higher picks for whom it'd be worth it. The odds of finding a Zegras level player with even a mid 1st is very low, never mind a late 1st.

I know it's mostly a quality for quantity trade, but ANA could either take Mailloux or take Matheson and flip him + 26th for maybe Devils 10th OV?

Then why the hell doesn't Mtl do that instead, then come back with the 10oa as part of an offer, which has a much higher probability of getting the Ducks' attention than 26? My guess is because you know the answer from the Devils would likely be a flat out no.

And why are the Ducks going to keep accumulating picks and prospects by trading players? I think at some point, the teardown has to end. And given that the Ducks now have a lot of young guys already in the NHL or arriving soon, and between this draft and last year they're adding 13 guys from rounds 1-3, as well as running out of contract slots given how many young prospects are signing or needing to be signed ... well I'd say acquiring quantity at this point is a bad idea for them.

If anything, Anaheim is the one who should be seeking out trades where they give up quantity AND quality for big swings at big names. They have so much good U23 NHL talent already, a strong pipeline, and a crap ton of picks, they're in exactly the position to be pursuing big names that might come up.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Even if it somehow were, there's a long list of teams with higher picks for whom it'd be worth it. The odds of finding a Zegras level player with even a mid 1st is very low, never mind a late 1st.

Then why the hell doesn't Mtl do that instead, then come back with the 10oa as part of an offer, which has a much higher probability of getting the Ducks' attention than 26? My guess is because you know the answer from the Devils would likely be a flat out no.

And why are the Ducks going to keep accumulating picks and prospects by trading players? I think at some point, the teardown has to end. And given that the Ducks now have a lot of young guys already in the NHL or arriving soon, and between this draft and last year they're adding 13 guys from rounds 1-3, as well as running out of contract slots given how many young prospects are signing or needing to be signed ... well I'd say acquiring quantity at this point is a bad idea for them.

If anything, Anaheim is the one who should be seeking out trades where they give up quantity AND quality for big swings at big names. They have so much good U23 NHL talent already, a strong pipeline, and a crap ton of picks, they're in exactly the position to be pursuing big names that might come up.

Well, the rumors surrounding Zegras aren't coming from MTL, but from Anaheim.

I know that most Ducks fans take the "bad reputation" of Zegras lightly, but in the NHL reality, bad reputation means more often than not a selfish attitude.
And in a tough and physical team sport like hockey, selfishness is about the worst flaw you can have.

Chemistry and team bounding is very important and all it takes is one rotten apple to disturb the whole team mental makeup.

In Zegras case, there's too much smoke to not have fire...

And it seems it's the reason why he's rumored to be on the market since +/- a year. Even if he's 23 on a rebuilding team.

So keep him and we'll be more than happy to keep our young defensive studs in Guhle and Reinbacher.

You win it all with big, physical and fast defensemen, not much with offensive hot dogs with a bad attitude..

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well, the rumors surrounding Zegras aren't coming from MTL, but from Anaheim.

I know that most Ducks fans take the "bad reputation" of Zegras lightly, but in the NHL reality, bad reputation means more often than not a selfish attitude.
And in a tough and physical team sport like hockey, selfishness is about the worst flaw you can have.

Chemistry and team bounding is very important and all it takes is one rotten apple to disturb the whole team mental makeup.

In Zegras case, there's too much smoke to not have fire...

And it seems it's the reason why he's rumored to be on the market since +/- a year. Even if he's 23 on a rebuilding team.

So keep him and we'll be more than happy to keep our young defensive studs in Guhle and Reinbacher.

You win it all with big, physical and fast defensemen, not much with offensive hot dogs with a bad attitude..
This is a whole lot of bad takes to dissect lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad