Weekes: Leafs nearing $5M AAV deal for Tanev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Toronto has a charter plane ready for flights to Robidas Island when needed, so if term is long it ain't that big a deal as Tanev will just develop a career ending injury when the time comes.
Apparently they need a new gardener on that island since Murray left.

On topic hoping Tanev stays healthy and not getting to much.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
You’re purposely misinterpreting things. RIGHT NOW Tanev is awesome. Like really really good. But the guy purposely blocks shots with his face. Which is awesome, guys a warrior. But he turns 35 in December.

Forget the reckless abandon he plays with, 35 is almost over the hill. His game will most likely fall off a cliff in the next year or two and the Leafs are about to commit to 4+ years with him. At age 39 he’s gonna be held together with super glue and duct tape
And the Leafs will be playing the hell out of him due to lack of RD. Like 23 minutes a night. His minutes need to be managed at this point in his career but they'll play him like he's prime Lidstrom.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Anti leaf media still trying to get us to overpay. Didn't they have Domi getting 5 plus.

Reactions: Albz

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
The salary cap is such a joke.

This contract will come in between 4.5-5.5M for atleast 6 years, but really its a 3 year contract that will end with Tanev getting hurt & the Leafs banishing him to 'Robidas-Island' when they don't think he's good enough to help them win anymore.

You can see this coming from 200 miles away. But the league will approve it & there will be 0 consequences.

When you combine this with the shenanigans Vegas gets away with every year, whats the point of even having a hard cap when the league allows most teams to get away with it, and only doles out punishments selectively.

And yet teams have to deal with the Nurse and Vlasic-type contracts with no way of getting out of them aside from gutting their future or hoping they improve. Sometimes you need the loopholes to allow teams to do well without sacrificing what a player can earn on an open market.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wow 5M, if it is around 5 years for a 34 year old often injured player, good for Tanev. The term here is the key. But what is Trevlving doing here locking up so many players when the team has achieved little success in the playoffs.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lebrun saying it could be 5, 6 or 7 years made me spit my coffee out this morning.

When I saw 5 mill, I assumed just for a year or 2

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Gotta hold off and wait to see what is confirmed. My gut says if the deal was done at the reported number, it would have been formally announced by now.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Apparently they need a new gardener on that island since Murray left.

On topic hoping Tanev stays healthy and not getting to much.
From what we're hearing, it looks like it's going to be at least for 5 years, with the Leafs assuming/hoping he will be on LTIR for the last few years. It's a big risk to take if that's what they're going to do, but since we are desperate for top 4 rhd, it's one they have to take.

Reactions: yzerman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad