Rumor: ANA-DET John Gibson to Detroit

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
.888 save percentage last year, with a worse contract than husso. If a trade like this goes through, us wings fans are cooked
The difference is he has a proven track record as a starter. Husso has a single season in his NHL career where he played >50 games and he fell apart in the second half of that year. My assumption would be that a Gibson trade would include salary retained (don't be shocked if Sharks are involved in that capacity too).

Yzerman didn't say it super direct but in the pre-draft press conference he didn't seem pleased with Cossa's development (also evident in the drafting of Augustine) - basing this off the way he talked about Cossa and its adjacency to Yzerman using the word "disappointing" several times - probably more for his playoff performance than his regular season performance. It would make sense for him to pick up a goalie to bridge to at least Augustine. I think the original Yzerplan was to have Cossa up by now.
Definitely a misrepresentation. Yzerman spoke pretty glowlingly about Cossa's development. No one expects goalies, even high draft picks, to be in the NHL this early.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Does Bob McKenzie even "wonder" about potential trades anymore? He's essentially retired besides for draft polling and some Free Agent Frenzy work.
I think Bob still has sources. He seems to follow the ptospects/,draft more. Some of it may be his hearing in passing convo. GMs/AGM not in playoffs likely has been at some CHL playoffs along with Bob

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think Bob still has sources. He seems to follow the ptospects/,draft more. Some of it may be his hearing in passing convo. GMs/AGM not in playoffs likely has been at some CHL playoffs along with Bob

I know he has sources, I just don't think he speculates much anymore.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The difference is he has a proven track record as a starter. Husso has a single season in his NHL career where he played >50 games and he fell apart in the second half of that year. My assumption would be that a Gibson trade would include salary retained (don't be shocked if Sharks are involved in that capacity too).

Definitely a misrepresentation. Yzerman spoke pretty glowlingly about Cossa's development. No one expects goalies, even high draft picks, to be in the NHL this early.
I think double retention like you said(with sharks retaining part also)... would make a lot of sense.

Gibson has shown flashes that he still has the same talent... but def lost confidence/motivation at times in Anaheim.... a fresh start would prob be ideal for him, and id say anaheim still has at least another season in the bottom 10 of the league.

Wings have long term solutions in their system, so they just need a bit of a stop gap to take the reigns while their young goalies continue to develop/learn.

Im not really a believer in Gibson in anaheim, i think that ship has sailed... but i think he could be a good get at a low cost.... i think hell be extra motivated to play meaningful games again and prove the last 3 years was more of a team/system issue rather than a gibson issue.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Goalies drafted usually take 5-6 years him drafted in 2021 means 27/28 when Gibson contract ends

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think double retention like you said(with sharks retaining part also)... would make a lot of sense.

Gibson has shown flashes that he still has the same talent... but def lost confidence/motivation at times in Anaheim.... a fresh start would prob be ideal for him, and id say anaheim still has at least another season in the bottom 10 of the league.

Wings have long term solutions in their system, so they just need a bit of a stop gap to take the reigns while their young goalies continue to develop/learn.

Im not really a believer in Gibson in anaheim, i think that ship has sailed... but i think he could be a good get at a low cost.... i think hell be extra motivated to play meaningful games again and prove the last 3 years was more of a team/system issue rather than a gibson issue.
San jose cant retain in 24/25. They used 3.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yzerman didn't say it super direct but in the pre-draft press conference he didn't seem pleased with Cossa's development (also evident in the drafting of Augustine) - basing this off the way he talked about Cossa and its adjacency to Yzerman using the word "disappointing" several times - probably more for his playoff performance than his regular season performance. It would make sense for him to pick up a goalie to bridge to at least Augustine. I think the original Yzerplan was to have Cossa up by now.

Yzermen had his scouts nail some franchise player and made him look like a genius.

Vasi 19th OA
Kucherov 2nd round
Point 2nd round
Then of course Stammer and Hedman being top 5 picks

He basically got a bunch of draft picks and the "Yzerplan" was asking them to do find players like this and they simply didn't.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Eh..
giphy.webp

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Despite how great Gibson is for like half a season, overall I personally don't think he's worth much without taking cap dumps and/or retaining.

By all accounts, he wants to win...and win as the 1A guy. I don't know where that mythical destination is, but I doubt it's Detroit.

But sure, we'll take Husso and the 15th for Gibson at double retention if we can swing it. If Yzerman is that gullible. :laugh:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Gibson to Detroit makes all kinds of sense. Predicted that one in the goalie thread with Husso going back to Anaheim.

Detroit getting SJ to retain on Gibson after July 1 would also make sense with that otherwise idiotic trade they made today

Edit: nvm SJ can't retain even after July 1. Today's trade still makes 0 sense

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Gibson to Detroit makes all kinds of sense. Predicted that one in the goalie thread with Husso going back to Anaheim.

Detroit getting SJ to retain on Gibson after July 1 would also make sense with that otherwise idiotic trade they made today
San Jose cannot retain anymore deals

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

San Jose can't retain and Gibson was outplayed by a 23 year old who had the same team in front of him. Even at 3.25 million a season he's not worth the cost. And worse if Detroit has to move any assets to do it.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
I still think Gibson will turn it around with a better team in front of him, but I'm over hoping for anything of value for him. I honestly have loved him as a player and at this point would like to see him have some success somewhere.
No he won’t. I’d doubt he’d have success in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad