Rumor: ANA-DET John Gibson to Detroit

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
People are underestimating how good Detroit actually is. That team will make the playoffs next season.
Detroit just traded their second best defenseman with a 2nd to San Jose for literally nothing. Detroit also lacks elite talent and goaltending. As of right now Detroit is a worse team than they were at the end of last season. It's made with only 32 million in cap space and 16-20 of that going to Raymond/Seider and 9-12 of that going to Veleno and Ghost and/or Kane Detroit is left with very little space to get up to the minimum roster size.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My post says after July 1 when they can

Lmao the Gibson test never fails

Gibson has been terrible for years.

Playing many years with a bad team has a negative effect even on good goalies.

Gibson has been outperformed in each of the last 4 years by his backup goalie. The only backup he outplayed was an ancient Ryan Miller.

There literally isn’t an argument for Gibson being anything but bad outside of some “eye test” mumbo jumbo. He has bad basic stats, bad advanced stats and has been consistently outperformed by his backups. And it’s not a small sample size either, it’s a 5 year sample size.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Pagnotta’s tweet could have 30 other cities in it and it would carry the same weight. I wonder if Gibson will be pursued by Winnipeg… But why? they have Hellebuyck that they just locked in at a big number..? Idk I’m just wondering

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Gibson test seriously never fails, this is a great litmus test

The fact that you can’t even come up with a coherent argument just shows how bad the argument is.

A 5 year sample size of him being bad, whether it be basic stats or advanced stats, while also being outperformed by his backups is somehow outweighed by…..what, exactly? Some “Gibson litmus test” thing?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I guess Stolarz is better than Bob too if we follow your logic
To be fair, in many of those years Gibson's backups played a much smaller number of games than he did. So I don't think that means his backups are definitely better than him.

However, I do believe Dostal played 2 or 3 more games than Gibson did this year, at least when I had this argument a couple weeks ago I looked it up. And Dostal performed marginally better than Gibson under the same workload.

So if I'm to believe that Gibson is still useful and good, and that it's just the Ducks making him look bad, then should I believe that Dostal is really good?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The fact that you can’t even come up with a coherent argument just shows how bad the argument is.

A 5 year sample size of him being bad, whether it be basic stats or advanced stats, while also being outperformed by his backups is somehow outweighed by…..what, exactly? Some “Gibson litmus test” thing?
Gibson still has a cult like fanbase, the same way Marshall Applewhite did before he convinced his followers to commit a mass suicide, so that the space ship with Jesus on board could come pick them up and take them to the other side.

But even the media is somewhat in on it. Because most of the media should be wondering why Gibson has any value at all right now.

I don't know if Gibson is the most overrated goalie in the league still. He was about 2 years ago though, but I don't think most people think he's good anymore. But there's a vocal bunch that still do and wanna blame everything on the Ducks being bad.

Yet we've seen a lot of bad teams with goalies that perform better than Gibson has over the last handful of years?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
1719359339470.jpeg

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
I think Gibson can rebound in the right situation. I think he would be a disaster in Detroit though. Their D is really bad

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Well, it doesn't appear that Verbeek is willing to give him away and would rather keep him if that were the case. And it also appears that Detroit is the aggressor in this case going after Gibson. I suspect the return will include one solid piece as well as Husso and maybe Holl going the other way...IF a trade happens.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have been a big fan of this move. We should throw in Berggren so they will retain some money on him. I think he fits our timeline and I do think with a change of scenery he can be a lot better. Yzerman is moving around money for something. He clearly wants to keep pushing forward and not take a step back. I think they still take the 15th selection so that wouldn't be in here without a strange bigger trade.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

I've long realized arguing with you about hockey is about as productive as.. well ill just stop there I'm not trying for a high score.

The Gibson litmus test is simple. What someone thinks of Gibson is a pretty strong indicator of how much their opinion on goaltending, or even hockey in general, is worth. The truly beautiful part of this you could say the same thing but in reverse of what I'm thinking, and as far as you're concerned you'd be right.
To be fair, in many of those years Gibson's backups played a much smaller number of games than he did. So I don't think that means his backups are definitely better than him.

However, I do believe Dostal played 2 or 3 more games than Gibson did this year, at least when I had this argument a couple weeks ago I looked it up. And Dostal performed marginally better than Gibson under the same workload.

So if I'm to believe that Gibson is still useful and good, and that it's just the Ducks making him look bad, then should I believe that Dostal is really good?
The short answer is yes. I do believe Dostal will be/is quite good.

The longer answer is, Gibson is a goalie who came into the league quite young (for a goalie) and got to play on the Ducks team that was a legit contender only defeated by LA and CHI. Now after early sucess the team has been dogshit for what.. 6-7 years? That'd take a toll on anyone, especially a goalie who's tired of this shit. Meanwhile Dostal is still a fresh faced kid trying to earn the starters job. That fire hasn't yet been beaten outta him.

Gibson has still shown his old brilliance when he's dialed in. And I fully believe he returns to form on a team that's even just slightly below average

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I have been a big fan of this move. We should throw in Berggren so they will retain some money on him. I think he fits our timeline and I do think with a change of scenery he can be a lot better. Yzerman is moving around money for something. He clearly wants to keep pushing forward and not take a step back. I think they still take the 15th selection so that wouldn't be in here without a strange bigger trade.

This is a dumb gamble. There is nothing in his game over the last 5 years that say he's the same player he was in the first half of his career.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's possible Gibson checked out long ago, but his contract is too much of a liability to bank on that.

I think he could be fine as a backup somewhere (like he'd probably be fine on Boston) or maybe even Vegas, but I don't know why those teams would want him or trade for him just to be their backup, with all that term and dollars that he has left?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad