An idea to remove the cap advantage for no tax states

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I'm sure taxes aren't the only reason a guy might want to live and work in Florida over somewhere like Winnipeg or Edmonton.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

A topic that gets debated on a lot, we have a GM of one of these markets admitting it is an advantage.
Notice his qualifiers. Your dollar goes "a little" farther. It doesn't impact the talks with high end guys, but it does help out the middle group "a little bit."

You have a GM talking about how it's a bit of an advantage, and you're using it to try to justify a solution that is so complex you can't even give a good idea as to what that solution is. We have been saying since this thread opened that it is an advantage, just not such a big advantage that it outweighs advantages other markets have.

I'm sorry but if a team in a higher taxed area can't put together a group of role players strong enough to compete, that's on them and not the area's tax rate.

Last edited:

sena

Jul 3, 2024
teams send players packing all the time, this act in itself is going to remove any sort of tax advantage had by any team. The players are not stupid

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I'm sure taxes aren't the only reason a guy might want to live and work in Florida over somewhere like Winnipeg or Edmonton.
That's kinda the point?

It's to try and level an already uneven playing field for teams that normally wouldn't get the ufa signings. Why sign in winnipeg when I could get paid MORE to play for florida?

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
That's kinda the point?

It's to try and level an already uneven playing field for teams that normally wouldn't get the ufa signings. Why sign in winnipeg when I could get paid MORE to play for florida?
The portion in bold isn't something that should be leveled. Building teams is part of the competition of the game. The league shouldn't be trying to negotiate something into the CBA to hand-hold teams who can't build a team, particularly when whatever solution to the "problem" would have to be incredibly complex.

Besides, Winnipeg has had competitive teams not even all that long ago. They seem to be able to overcome whatever disadvantages geography causes. Edmonton, too. Vancouver is a nice area, but their taxes are pretty high. They're competitive. Some people in this thread are acting like the higher taxed areas have teams consistently at the bottom of the league.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Just ban Canadian hockey players from playing abroad, bring the lost sheep back into the northern fold. Or have all games played on natural ice and if that would mean the game gets played in the bottom of a lake, home team takes automatic loss. Reclaim the climate advantage!

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

A topic that gets debated on a lot, we have a GM of one of these markets admitting it is an advantage.
Has anyone stated that it is not an advantage? AFAIK it has just been stated that there isn't necessarily a correlation to winning.

Reactions: Viqsi and JPT

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
That's kinda the point?

Because the same money goes a lot farther in Winnipeg. It probably makes no difference to the stars making big money either way, they're rich no matter where they go, but a guy on a 1-4m salary will afford and maintain a much nicer home for less money in Winnipeg, and have more left over to do other things with. In Miami millions more will need to be budgeted towards housing, property taxes, insurance, etc. than in Winnipeg. And in a competitive real estate market a lot of that is up front cost, as most desirable homes these days are won with cash offers in markets like that.

Reactions: cptjeff

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Amazing the amount of childish comments on a topic that is very relevant in the NHL today.
It's only relevant insofar as people like to use it as an excuse. It has no measurable impact on team success, as has been shown in this thread and promptly ignored by anyone who wants to continue using the excuse.

• Love
Reactions: JP Mick and Pia8988

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
That's kinda the point?

Because you have to live in Florida.

Reactions: JPT

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Amazing the amount of childish comments on a topic that is very relevant in the NHL today.

It's been beaten into the ground and is only ever brought up in bad faith by fans of teams that lose.

They only ever want to close this one specific 'loophole' that hurts them in their eyes and never the big picture or anything that benefits them.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Not too long before that, California teams won 3 cups in 7 years. In fact, if taxes are such a detriment, why did California teams out perform Canadian teams so badly from 2007 until a few years ago when the California teams finally needed to rebuild? I bet players avoid Canadian teams due to the scrutiny they face in those cities. Not just for their own sake, but for their families too

You're trying to boil this down to a binary conversation.

Tax Free teams win.. Non tax free teams lose.

Nobody is making that argument that I've seen. So stop trying to twist it that way.

Winning and Losing at the NHL level is insanely complicated. It's not just Tax Free. It's not just Management. It's not just Destination. It's not just scouting, Coaching, etc. It's ALL of them and more.

But if you think Tax Free has 0 impact on a teams success. Then I completely disagree with you.

Just as Southern Market teams enjoy destination/anonymity advantages.

Take a look at NTC and NMC and try telling me that it's not an advantage to not be on any of them.

A teams ability to draw free agents and trade for players with NMC/NTC is sizeable advantage. That is the point I'm trying to make. Tax free helps in those regards.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Good thing we used our tax advantage to attract this star in 2014.

Life altering :laugh:

1721064225385.png

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
You're trying to boil this down to a binary conversation.

Tax Free teams win.. Non tax free teams lose.

Nobody is making that argument that I've seen. So stop trying to twist it that way.

Winning and Losing at the NHL level is insanely complicated. It's not just Tax Free. It's not just Management. It's not just Destination. It's not just scouting, Coaching, etc. It's ALL of them and more.

But if you think Tax Free has 0 impact on a teams success. Then I completely disagree with you.

Just as Southern Market teams enjoy destination/anonymity advantages.

Take a look at NTC and NMC and try telling me that it's not an advantage to not be on any of them.

A teams ability to draw free agents and trade for players with NMC/NTC is sizeable advantage. That is the point I'm trying to make. Tax free helps in those regards.
It isn't "tax free." They are paying taxes, just in different ways.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Guys are signing in Edmonton because they want to win a Cup. There's reasons to want to play for the Oilers right now. It's not like players were all scrambling to play for the Panthers a decade ago.
There's plenty of people who honestly enjoy things like fishing, ice fishing, other snow activities etc over being in the heat all year. And as I said above, nobody was rushing to sign in Florida a decade ago.
It's a variable but it's not a massive one.
This is exactly it. It's a small to medium factor for some players, but not enough of a variable for enough players to need to change any rules or amend the CBA or anything like that.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Because the same money goes a lot farther in Winnipeg. It probably makes no difference to the stars making big money either way, they're rich no matter where they go, but a guy on a 1-4m salary will afford and maintain a much nicer home for less money in Winnipeg, and have more left over to do other things with. In Miami millions more will need to be budgeted towards housing, property taxes, insurance, etc. than in Winnipeg. And in a competitive real estate market a lot of that is up front cost, as most desirable homes these days are won with cash offers in markets like that.
Housing is a big one. You know how states with no or low income tax almost always make their money? High property tax rates. Athletes buying big, flashy homes will pay a LOT in taxes for them.

Taxes are complex and generally pretty closely related to the city services available, and those services often correlate to how desirable a place to live it is. I don't see many players complaining about playing in NYC, despite the high taxes and cost of living. People pay a huge premium to live there. Yet they sign good players to competitive contracts constantly. Why? Because people want to play in New York.

It's not about taxes. It's about having a good team and a place people want to live.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
And I am not even gonna glance through every post but I doubt that contract structure has been mentioned enough.

The only players that will maximize their tax advantages are the ones that get paid in mostly bonuses vs even salary.

If you get paid in salary, then the jock tax kicks in and your tax advantages are minimized. Bonuses get paid out in the summer so I dont THINK they are subject to the jock tax as that is based on where the games are played.

And no, tax haven stats arent just going to sign everyone to a bonus laden structure as that puts them at lockout and buyout risks.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And I am not even gonna glance through every post but I doubt that contract structure has been mentioned enough.

The only players that will maximize their tax advantages are the ones that get paid in mostly bonuses vs even salary.

If you get paid in salary, then the jock tax kicks in and your tax advantages are minimized. Bonuses get paid out in the summer so I dont THINK they are subject to the jock tax as that is based on where the games are played.

And no, tax haven stats arent just going to sign everyone to a bonus laden structure as that puts them at lockout and buyout risks.
Maybe should read the thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad