Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It’s funny that we can bash Asky for not winning in the AHL playoffs yet defend Saros for not winning in the NHL playoffs.
I'm not defending Saros. But the team made the decision they made based on going for it these next two or three years. Askarov probably could have won the backup spot at some point this year and then when our window closes we would probably be looking to move Saros. But he's laid down his cards(a pair of fives, but still) and he will now face the consequences

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
You don't bring Mitch Korn back into the organization if there isn't a need. Askarov is still developing and the organization clearly thinks he could use more time starting in the AHL vs backing up with the big club.

Now back to the usual comments where HF complains that players that failed to fill their expected role with the big club and don't even make the top 100 point per game scorers in the AHL are "overcooked" and somehow ready .... while simultaneously calling for them to take a 10% NHL pay cut which runs counter to the value they allegedly bring.
You could have a goaltending tandem of prime Hasek and Brodyer with Roy in the minors and I’d still think you’d put Korn into the mix given the opportunity. Korn is essentially a perk of getting Trotz.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'm not defending Saros. But the team made the decision they made based on going for it these next two or three years. Askarov probably could have won the backup spot at some point this year and then when our window closes we would probably be looking to move Saros. But he's laid down his cards(a pair of fives, but still) and he will now face the consequences
I totally agree with you and understand why Trotz did what he did. While I’m excited about the additions history has shown most teams don’t win Cups with a core in their 30’s so it’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. I still see the possible 4th line we’ll be icing and it’s not inspiring. I forget who’s post it was who showed the potential lineup and I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh noooo.

At the very least, we should be a lot more fun to watch this year.

Reactions: PredsV82

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Going all the way back to Krivokrasov, we just don’t seem to have a whole lotta luck with Russians, do we?

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
How do you move Saros when he has a NMC?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Wow, that is excellent news for us. I wonder if Glass gets dealt if this happens last week.

Lots more flexibility for a deadline move, if nothing else. Or we can take back a player with a decent cap hit in return for Askarov.
What does that do to that dead space? Does it fully terminate?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
How do you move Saros when he has a NMC?
I guess that's a moot point today.

It was obviously something to think about before all this. But now we are just going to cross our fingers that Saros lasts 9 more years. That was Trotz's gamble, now he's going to have to just sit back and see if it pays off like he thought it would. :help:

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Tell him he is going to be the back up if he doesn't waive.
I guess that's a moot point today.

It was obviously something to think about before all this. But now we are just going to cross our fingers that Saros lasts 9 more years. That was Trotz's gamble, now he's going to have to just sit back and see if it pays off like he thought it would. :help:
That's also would've factored in that Saros maintained his level of play and was in tradeable form in 3-5 years from now. At which point he'd still had 4-6 years of his deal left.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Huge! Isn't that like $5 mil and had like 2 or 3 years left?
$4M for just this season is our portion. Would be nice to have some wiggle room to add at the deadline if we want though.

As an aside, I'm just really interested to see how this whole thing plays out. It is sort of suspicious that Johansen was capable of playing for the Avs but then all of a sudden had a career threatening injury once the Flyers tried to send him down. I believe he's dealing with chronic injuries but I'm not sure it's really justifiable to pick and choose when you're able to play through them.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Crazy RyJo just turned 32. I mean, he has looked older and slower since the beginning I guess. But players should still have something left at that age, feel sorry for him that he fell off like that. Well I guess we can't feel too sorry after paying him $8M all those years. Oh well.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If RyJos 4 million in cap can successfully disappear, that would give us 7 million to fill out the roster with the remaining RFAs. We would also regain our retention slot giving us 2 for the deadline should we need them. Considering we are angling to compete i dont think we will sell off unless things go really sideways.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
RyJo news is potentially HUGE. Really interested to see how this progresses. When would we hear if this is official, and our cap space is free?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
RyJo news is potentially HUGE. Really interested to see how this progresses. When would we hear if this is official, and our cap space is free?
Richards is the best comparison of the top of my head. The Kings terminated his contract on June 29th and they settled in court on October 9th. Reading some old articles it looks like even after the settlement the Kings still had to pay a recapture penalty for the contract and a smaller cap hit based on the settlement too. So I guess the answer is who knows what will happen and how it will effect our cap.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I guess it will depend on how strong Philly's case is. I would imagine they didn't take this step unless they thought they had all the i's dotted and t's crossed in terms of backing up their case. So IF they have done all their homework, the appeal might not drag out very long.

It's not like there are (m)any UFAs left to spend money on. And teams mostly have their rosters set up already, so not a lot of "Cap casualty" cuts out there to be had. I guess there are RFAs who could be offersheeted? :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Richards is the best comparison of the top of my head. The Kings terminated his contract on June 29th and they settled in court on October 9th. Reading some old articles it looks like even after the settlement the Kings still had to pay a recapture penalty for the contract and a smaller cap hit based on the settlement too. So I guess the answer is who knows what will happen and how it will effect our cap.
Mike richards penalty:
2015-16 3.12 million
2016-17 1.57 million
2017-18 1.57 million
2018-19 1.57 million
2019-20 1.57 million
2020-21 $700,000
2021-22 $900,000
2022-23 $900,000
2023-24 $700,000
2024-25 $700,000
2025-26 $600,000
2026-27 $600,000
2027-28 $600,000
2028-29 $600,000
2029-30 $500,000
2030-31 $500,000
2031-32 $400,000

He had a caphit of 5.75 million through 2019. He was terminated in 2015 and even with the penalty they still saved over 2 million in cap that season. That's near a 55% reduction which would save us 2 million. Id still take that

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Saros doesn't have a movement clause until July 1st. Then he has a full NMC for six years followed by a 15 team no trade list for the last two seasons.

Of course if he gets passed on the depth chart, the odds of him accepting a trade increase.

Reactions: PredsV82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad