Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Welp Askarov reportedly informed Nashville he wont report and has asked for a trade ... i dont think both sides couldve handled this more hamfistedly
I would honestly just let him go back to Russia, then. I do believe that is the best precedent which Trotz can set here. Or just let him sit and stew if Russian teams honor his NHL contract. I would simply hang up the phone until he comes to his senses and begs to come back. The guy got beat out for playoff games last year by a veteran AHL backup, he's not in any position to be pulling these kinds of stunts.

And I don't think there is any great value coming back to us in any trade scenario. Nobody else is going to want him either. We're not going to recoup his prospect value in a trade. Getting a 2nd or B prospect back for him doesn't help us, we have plenty of those.

Make an example of him. Ruin his career, hold onto his rights until he's 27 and never ever trade him, if that's what it takes. You don't let kids get uppity on you like this and get away with it. :madfire:

Reactions: Armourboy

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I would honestly just let him go back to Russia, then. I do believe that is the best precedent which Trotz can set here. Or just let him sit and stew if Russian teams honor his NHL contract. I would simply hang up the phone until he comes to his senses and begs to come back. The guy got beat out for playoff games last year by a veteran AHL backup, he's not in any position to be pulling these kinds of stunts.

And I don't think there is any great value coming back to us in any trade scenario. Nobody else is going to want him either. We're not going to recoup his prospect value in a trade. Getting a 2nd or B prospect back for him doesn't help us, we have plenty of those.

Make an example of him. Ruin his career, hold onto his rights until he's 27 and never ever trade him, if that's what it takes. You don't let kids get uppity on you like this and get away with it. :madfire:
I reckon if we dont find a favorable trade that is what will happen. If he doesnt report, suspend his contract and let him go back to russia and gain experience there. I get what he is trying to do but he hasnt played so overwhelming great that it demands a NHL job. I figured he could beat out wedgie for the backup job in camp but it seems like he doesnt even want to have to compete for it. But... being in a foreign country, not making a ton of money while having obstacles seemingly stacked in your progression path is gonna frustrate you.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Probably need another AHL goalie as well. If askarov doesnt show up, murray isnt going to carry the load at the AHL level.... most AHL games he has played in a season is 34 and his body of work is questionable.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Welp Askarov reportedly informed Nashville he wont report and has asked for a trade ... i dont think both sides couldve handled this more hamfistedly
What the f***? Is he an idiot?

I reckon if we dont find a favorable trade that is what will happen. If he doesnt report, suspend his contract and let him go back to russia and gain experience there. I get what he is trying to do but he hasnt played so overwhelming great that it demands a NHL job. I figured he could beat out wedgie for the backup job in camp but it seems like he doesnt even want to have to compete for it. But... being in a foreign country, not making a ton of money while having obstacles seemingly stacked in your progression path is gonna frustrate you.
Sign Lankinen immediately and suspend him.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I say, welcome to the real world Asky. You have to earn it. If you aren't even willing to prove yourself in a fair trial, then you just defeated yourself.

Long term, probably you can't fix that kind of mentality anyway. If that's the way he thinks, then he'll just be perpetually disgruntled at every step, probably. I don't think you want that kind of mindset in your organization, period. Being frustrated is going to happen at various times in life. Maybe he will get over it. But I would definitely take a very hardline stance right now if I was in Trotz's shoes.

In fact, I would go out and sign Kevin Lankinen to a 1-year $1M 1-way contract right now, today. I bet Lankinen is willing to battle Wedgewood. And the loser is going to be a great starter for Milwaukee. Murray is pretty good too. He might also be better than Askarov atm. But send the message.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I say, welcome to the real world Asky. You have to earn it. If you aren't even willing to prove yourself in a fair trial, then you just defeated yourself.

Long term, probably you can't fix that kind of mentality anyway. If that's the way he thinks, then he'll just be perpetually disgruntled at every step, probably. I don't think you want that kind of mindset in your organization, period. Being frustrated is going to happen at various times in life. Maybe he will get over it. But I would definitely take a very hardline stance right now if I was in Trotz's shoes.

In fact, I would go out and sign Kevin Lankinen to a 1-year $1M 1-way contract right now, today. I bet Lankinen is willing to battle Wedgewood. And the loser is going to be a great starter for Milwaukee. Murray is pretty good too. He might also be better than Askarov atm. But send the message.
At the end of the day, this is looking like itll be a wasted pick. We either dont get good value in a trade or he ends up back in Russia to waste away. Lundell, Jarvis, Guhle, and Mercer all taken shortly after him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Yeah, I mean who didn't see this coming? I think we all did.

This goes back to I wish we had moved him before it got to this point. Now you have a fairly unmovable asset in that you won't get the return for him that warrants a trade/what you would've gotten for him earlier this summer.

Frustrating situation all around and not really anything that is a "surprise"

I would try to package him with Tomasino to get a quality prospect back, even if it is an L overall.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
He's in no place to make those demands, as others have said. Quite the ego on this kid.

I wonder how much of it is "I want a spot this year" vs frustration at the long Saros extension. He doesn't see a present here or a future here - not a great spot to be in. If we can't get fair value, let him go back to Russia. And never take a freaking goalie in the first round again!

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Hope the other clubs still value him and aren't turned off by his attitude.
He has proven nothing and is making demands based on projection and supposed pedigree.

If another team is willing to give us value for him then boot his ass and if not I agree with those that are saying make an example of him. Hold him hostage until he realizes he doesn't run the franchise.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

On the main board. Source seems to be weekes but he has had some good information over the years.
This shouldn’t be a shock. Friedman has previously reported that Askarov doesn’t want to play in AHL again. Another example of why risk in drafting Russian prospects remain. They’ve reportedly been shopping him for a while and with Saros extension an Askarov deal feels inevitable (although not necessarily imminent).

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This shouldn’t be a shock. Friedman has previously reported that Askarov doesn’t want to play in AHL again. Another example of why risk in drafting Russian prospects remain. They’ve reportedly been shopping him for a while and with Saros extension an Askarov deal feels inevitable (although not necessarily imminent).
I think the bigger issue is that at the time of Askarov's draft, saros already was becoming a mainstay in the NHL. His 19-20 season was a tandem effort with Rinne (both having around 40 games).
Career stats at end of 19-20 season
119 GP
104 GS
.918 sv%
2.56 GAA

With top end goalies usually lasting into their mid-30s, we spent our best 1st round pick since 2008 on another goalie (or 2014 for the last 11th overall pick). A goalie doesnt take 10 years to develop. Id argue whether or not Askarov is ready to be NHL backup or not but he will certainly be ready long before Saros' extension is done. Had areas of more need in the organization and similar quality prospects on the board and we went with a goalie.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He's in no place to make those demands, as others have said. Quite the ego on this kid.

I wonder how much of it is "I want a spot this year" vs frustration at the long Saros extension. He doesn't see a present here or a future here - not a great spot to be in. If we can't get fair value, let him go back to Russia. And never take a freaking goalie in the first round again!
From a financial viewpoint for him id see it like this:

Last year of ELC

ive got a signing bonus this year
If i dont get nhl time this season, i will be in line for a significant paycut next contract at the AHL and NHL level and have no bargaining power.

The organization just extended their current starter for 8 seasons with a NMC meaning he likely goes nowhere.

I have no route to becoming a starter here and they signed a NHL level backup for 2 seasons... this lowers my odds of making NHL this and next season. It isnt impossible to overtake Wedgie but Trotz/Brunette have pushed other young players down to MIL in favor of vets so i dont favor my odds.

Even if i do make it to NHL backup in Nashville, what is my ceiling here? Saros' starts so many games... how many games will/can i get?

Then take into account he is far from family/home to deal with this stuff.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
IMHO: it's not that he doesn't want to compete for a roster spot today: it's that he doesn't see a future as a whole.

How many of us have switched jobs because someone has else was promoted above us? Or a reorg that meant we had no path to continue to move up the ladder.

I think as fans we want what is best for the team and sometimes we forgot this is these guys CAREERS.

Of course with Saros extended that long Askarov is going to worry about his future with the team short term and long term. He wants to be the guy and thinks he can be. He doesn't have a lot of leverage and is playing the only card he can.

IMHO when the Preds decided to extend Saros Askarov should've been moved the same day/that week, even if the return wasn't as good as you wanted it to be because I doubt the return will be as good now as it was then, even with a bidding war.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
From a financial viewpoint for him id see it like this:

Last year of ELC

ive got a signing bonus this year
If i dont get nhl time this season, i will be in line for a significant paycut next contract at the AHL and NHL level and have no bargaining power.

The organization just extended their current starter for 8 seasons with a NMC meaning he likely goes nowhere.

I have no route to becoming a starter here and they signed a NHL level backup for 2 seasons... this lowers my odds of making NHL this and next season. It isnt impossible to overtake Wedgie but Trotz/Brunette have pushed other young players down to MIL in favor of vets so i dont favor my odds.

Even if i do make it to NHL backup in Nashville, what is my ceiling here? Saros' starts so many games... how many games will/can i get?

Then take into account he is far from family/home to deal with this stuff.
True. The play the kids does not seem to be the Trotz/Brunette way, at least at this time. And he will probably not be the last if this is how Trotz continues to run or treat our draft players.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think the bigger issue is that at the time of Askarov's draft, saros already was becoming a mainstay in the NHL. His 19-20 season was a tandem effort with Rinne (both having around 40 games).
Career stats at end of 19-20 season
119 GP
104 GS
.918 sv%
2.56 GAA

With top end goalies usually lasting into their mid-30s, we spent our best 1st round pick since 2008 on another goalie (or 2014 for the last 11th overall pick). A goalie doesnt take 10 years to develop. Id argue whether or not Askarov is ready to be NHL backup or not but he will certainly be ready long before Saros' extension is done. Had areas of more need in the organization and similar quality prospects on the board and we went with a goalie.
Agreed. I generally don't want to take ANY goalie in top half of 1st round because their path to being worth pick is so narrow that even if you are right on them, you still often don't get value there because between draft and when they are ready for NHL so much can happen to your club independent of them.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Agreed. I generally don't want to take ANY goalie in top half of 1st round because their path to being worth pick is so narrow that even if you are right on them, you still often don't get value there because between draft and when they are ready for NHL so much can happen to your club independent of them.
If we were still riding Rinne at the time and didnt have a viable replacement in the pipeline, then sure i get drafting askarov. Saros already had 1 split season start with Rinne and was looking outstanding. It is one thing when your starter is nearing retirement. It is another thing when you have someone just stepping into the starting position and having about 8-10 years infront of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad