Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Presumably he's not demanding to be a starter or anything like that so playing Wedgewood instead of holding on to your best prospect would seem a bit short sighted.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He's not playing in the NHL this season anyways, he's living the delusion his agent is giving him if that is his thoughts. Someone may start him there or give him a game or two, but they will see pretty quickly what we do, he still needs to play every day in the AHL.

Looking at the list of goalies most teams already have rostered right now, there aren't many that are going to just throw him on the roster, they are already 4-5 deep at the position.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wedgewood's sv% last season was .899%. He is beatable for the backup role and burying him in favor of askarov would actually save us a little capspace (just over 1 million is buriable and askarov has a cap of 925K). If we hold onto to him and he outperforms Wedgewood then he should get to stay in the NHL

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Presumably he's not demanding to be a starter or anything like that so playing Wedgewood instead of holding on to your best prospect would seem a bit short sighted.
Win now is by definition short sighted.

We'll have a position or two for some younger guys, and our depth will be ELCs given the cap situation, but we're not going to go out of our way to roll out red carpets for unproven rookies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I just hope Barry Trotz is not impatient with the trade of Askarov. I’m just wondering, what a deal would look like with Fabbro and Askarov.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I'm not even convinced Trotz ought to trade Askarov at all. Keep him and give him a chance to win the backup role this season. If he does, great; he's in the NHL. If he's not ready for that he stays in the AHL another season and gets to try for the backup role next year. Then he spends a couple of seasons as a backup, until he's ready to be splitting starts. By the time he's ready for a full-time starter role, Saros has probably played half his contract. Then Askarov is a proven asset, and THEN if you need to trade one of them you ought to be getting maximum value. Right now I'm just not convinced you're going to get much value for a goalie prospect. Even one with Askarov's hype. Goalies just don't seem to bring the trade value they should.

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
He's not playing in the NHL this season anyways, he's living the delusion his agent is giving him if that is his thoughts. Someone may start him there or give him a game or two, but they will see pretty quickly what we do, he still needs to play every day in the AHL.

Looking at the list of goalies most teams already have rostered right now, there aren't many that are going to just throw him on the roster, they are already 4-5 deep at the position.
Plus there’s like 28 unsigned NHL goalies with actual NHL experience. The pathway for him is no different than any other goalie. He needs to back up first in the NHL before becoming a starter. He can do all of that in Nashville except for Starting. If the coaches thought he was good enough to just be a backup, then they wouldn’t have signed Wedgewood. If he’s going to be a pain in the ass like this, then I’m glad we signed Saros long term.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think its understandable to see why Askarov is frustrated with the situation he's in. The other goalies taken in the 1st round in years prior to Askarov (Knight, Oettinger, Samsonov) got looks in the NHL quickly without having to spend years proving themselves in the AHL and were able to turn those into pretty decent second contracts. Askarov has gotten one start in the NHL which was against a playoff team and he won, which I'm sure makes him feel he's perfectly capable of playing in the NHL. Askarov can see by looking at the contract negotiations with other prospects in our system that if he spends the season in the AHL that he might not even get a one-way contract offer even if he plays well. Then in the longer term he's going to be stuck behind Saros until he's hitting UFA status which would limit his ability to get a big payday. I'd want to get somewhere where I have a clear path to becoming a starter (and a big contract) if I were him too.

That being said I think the best thing for Askarov's development into a star goalie would be to spend another season mostly in the AHL with a few spot starts in the NHL sprinkled in. We've seen with Knight and Samsonov that even if they have initial success that the path to being an NHL starter can be very winding. Beyond that the Preds need to do what is best for the org and I agree with others that the best move is to hold onto Askarov until you get a return worthy of a top prospect which doesn't seem to be out there for goalie prospects. In some ways it sucks for Askarov but he really doesn't have any options other than going to the KHL this offseason. I do think Askarov would be a prime target for an offersheet from a goalie needy team next offseason though so that could be an interesting wrinkle.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I believe the return would be a lot more if we end up with a Luongo/Schneider type of situation.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Campbell sucks
Knight regressed hard and spent last season in the AHL. Atleast he got some money i guess.
Oettinger has been successful i guess.

Cossa was drafted the year after Askarov at a similar draft position and ended up playing in the ECHL the year after being drafted. I hope Askarov ends up in the NHL next season but it isnt like his stats are so great that it makes him undeniable

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So to expand on the thought of a potential Askarov offersheet if he got offered the Broberg contract ($4.5M x 2yrs; 2nd round pick as compensation) would you match or let him go?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So to expand on the thought of a potential Askarov offersheet if he got offered the Broberg contract ($4.5M x 2yrs; 2nd round pick as compensation) would you match or let him go?
Letting your former 15th overall promising prospect go for a 2nd sucks but not sure we have that kind of space next season with only Nyquist and Fabbro coming off and Evangelista needing a new contract as well

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
You have to match that, but damn would it suck and create ripples.
Letting your former 15th overall promising prospect go for a 2nd sucks but not sure we have that kind of space next season with only Nyquist and Fabbro coming off and Evangelista needing a new contract as well

Yeah I think it would ultimately depend on how this next season goes but it would definitely put us in a tricky cap position. I don't think it's a particularly outlandish scenario that a team with cap space would give it a try. I'd certainly take Askarov on that contract over Broberg at least.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don’t know where he thinks he’ll have any better chance at beating somebody out than he does here with Wedgewood. Come to camp and take the job. No free lunches, but if you can’t do that then just work hard in Milwaukee and be better next time. It’s not complicated.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think its understandable to see why Askarov is frustrated with the situation he's in. The other goalies taken in the 1st round in years prior to Askarov (Knight, Oettinger, Samsonov) got looks in the NHL quickly without having to spend years proving themselves in the AHL and were able to turn those into pretty decent second contracts. Askarov has gotten one start in the NHL which was against a playoff team and he won, which I'm sure makes him feel he's perfectly capable of playing in the NHL. Askarov can see by looking at the contract negotiations with other prospects in our system that if he spends the season in the AHL that he might not even get a one-way contract offer even if he plays well. Then in the longer term he's going to be stuck behind Saros until he's hitting UFA status which would limit his ability to get a big payday. I'd want to get somewhere where I have a clear path to becoming a starter (and a big contract) if I were him too.

That being said I think the best thing for Askarov's development into a star goalie would be to spend another season mostly in the AHL with a few spot starts in the NHL sprinkled in. We've seen with Knight and Samsonov that even if they have initial success that the path to being an NHL starter can be very winding. Beyond that the Preds need to do what is best for the org and I agree with others that the best move is to hold onto Askarov until you get a return worthy of a top prospect which doesn't seem to be out there for goalie prospects. In some ways it sucks for Askarov but he really doesn't have any options other than going to the KHL this offseason. I do think Askarov would be a prime target for an offersheet from a goalie needy team next offseason though so that could be an interesting wrinkle.
Technically he has gotten 2, he had one the year prior which was a loss.

The big difference between him and those guys, they actually played their 18 year old season somewhere, he didn't. He had all of 3-4 games that entire year. He was way more raw coming into the AHL than those guys were.

No matter where he goes he is going to need to beat someone out. They aren't going to hand him the starting job and he will likely need to compete for the back up job. No team is going to go with worse goaltending just because he thinks he should be in the NHL.

He and his agent should be smart. He has one of if not the best Goalie coaching staffs in the league to work with. Use that to your advantage and force yourself not only into a playing position but a good contract. If he continues to learn and play well he will get a starting job somewhere soonish, but if he puts the cart before the horse he is just going to end up being back in the AHL or in Russia.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So with Halloway getting an offersheet for over 2 million.... what do we realistically think Parssinen and Tomasino will come in at? Theyve both played as many or more games but have provided more offense. They are 1 year older.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So with Halloway getting an offersheet for over 2 million.... what do we realistically think Parssinen and Tomasino will come in at? Theyve both played as many or more games but have provided more offense. They are 1 year older.
Unless they can find someone to give them an offer sheet I doubt they get anything more than slightly above their QOs.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I suspect this was unique situation and they likely won’t get what Holloway did. EF on 32T pod talked about how Blues were insistent on signing both guys to force Oilers hand. Broberg appears to be real target though, as a young potential top 4 d was huge desire. so Holloway was beneficiary of leverage play for Broberg. Would seem unlikely someone could squeeze Preds in similar fashion, and if they do? Do Preds value either enough that they would be compelled to match?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, I don't think there is any way to make a parallel with Holloway, unless somebody is willing to offersheet them. Maybe St. Louis will inspire other teams, but if that's the case there are more RFAs out there around the league than Parssinen and Tomasino, they're not likely at the top of any want lists?

I don't see any reason for us to sign them for more than 1yr/$775k. There's no guarantee either one of them even makes the team. Especially Tomasino. And I don't think the team feels any commitment to Tomasino whereby they would like to curry his favor for the longer term either. If Tomasino won't take $775k, just don't sign him at all. If Parssinen sees himself wanting to stay around and endear himself to the organization, maybe he could sign something with a little more term, but still under $1M.

There's definitely no need for the team to bend or compromise on these two... it's the players who should be trying to make themselves popular by signing team-friendly contracts. That's their best bet at having long and lucrative NHL careers. If their agents are trying to haggle over a few hundred k right now, they should tell the agents to put a sock in it, because they could just as easily end up with zero rather than get that few hundred extra. Let that extra money come as millions somewhere down the road instead. They won't ever get those millions if they end up not playing at all this year.

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I suspect this was unique situation and they likely won’t get what Holloway did. EF on 32T pod talked about how Blues were insistent on signing both guys to force Oilers hand. Broberg appears to be real target though, as a young potential top 4 d was huge desire. so Holloway was beneficiary of leverage play for Broberg. Would seem unlikely someone could squeeze Preds in similar fashion, and if they do? Do Preds value either enough that they would be compelled to match?
I think Tomasino they probably let go, but I think a lot of it comes down to what exactly what the offer sheet looks like.

Big difference in this situation is Holloway had a pretty solid playoffs, so I'm sure St. Louis is looking at that and hoping its a guy that unlocked himself. Neither Tomasino nor Parsinnen did anything like that so for either to get something along those lines means there is a GM out there that just likes their game enough to take the gamble on them.

Parsinnen, just based on possibly being a center, I could see someone taking a leap in the short term on him. I think Tomasino would have a hard time getting someone to give him a 1 million a year offer sheet let alone something as large as Holloway. Just about every organization thinks they have a Tomasino sitting around already.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Did you mean to say "qualifying offer" amount? Those offers expired a month ago. And were likely 2-way offers. They had their chance to sign those, but have now lost out.

Yeah ... QO. I keep forgetting that in HF world pay cuts make sense. Both players had NHL base salaries above 800k ... at 775 there is no reason to keep that particuar player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad