2024-25 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Cliff notes is that the ownership group is on fire, they never truly get along, it's been a partnership of convenience due to how quickly the bid had to come together following sanctions against Abramovich. It's now backfiring. Boehly comes across as the more level-headed/stability guy (despite his early idiocy) whereas Eghbali and his sporting directors de facto control the club and are insanely trigger-happy. Boehly doesn't veto anything because 'he wants to pick his battles'. He's gotten overruled on everything, including Pochettino albeit it seems he may have talked out of both sides of his mouth a bit to ownership and to the media.

Reading between the lines and where the majority of the money is coming from, it seems unlikely that Boehly ends up buying out Eghbali and his guys IMO.

Clearlake’s stance is that the future holds only two possible options: a continuation of the status quo or a buyout that would see it take full control of Chelsea. A person familiar with the firm’s thinking insists that it has no need or desire to sell its majority stake and already has the funds to relieve Boehly and his fellow investors, Mark Walter and Hansjorg Wyss, of their shares if they are unwilling to continue with the existing arrangement.
Eghbali buying out Boehly seems likelier than vice versa, unfortunately.

However, I don't think Boehly is bluffing when he suggests that he's been approached by people wanting to be part of a consortium to buy out Clearlake, and there's an argument to be made that Boehly buying out Clearlake makes more sense than vice versa as a private equity strategy. If there's anything a private equity parasite loves, it's a quick in-n-out - buy your stake, raise short-term value through quick actions, and get out at a gain. Clearlake buying out Boehly, conversely, doesn't make huge amounts of private equity sense unless they genuinely think they can juice the value even higher.

Reactions: Blender

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Eghbali buying out Boehly seems likelier than vice versa, unfortunately.

However, I don't think Boehly is bluffing when he suggests that he's been approached by people wanting to be part of a consortium to buy out Clearlake, and there's an argument to be made that Boehly buying out Clearlake makes more sense than vice versa as a private equity strategy. If there's anything a private equity parasite loves, it's a quick in-n-out - buy your stake, raise short-term value through quick actions, and get out at a gain. Clearlake buying out Boehly, conversely, doesn't make huge amounts of private equity sense unless they genuinely think they can juice the value even higher.

It just sounds like Clearlake has zero interest in not being involved with the club. If they don't, that's just that.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It just sounds like Clearlake has zero interest in not being involved with the club. If they don't, that's just that.
The news came out like two days ago and it’s already super messy. Shots from both sides through the media about why each is incompetent.

It’s in both of their best interests to resolve this quickly but they won’t. And whoever is left is going to be hated in all likelihood.

I find todd likeable. Eghbali has been hidden the whole time.

We’ll see how things go

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The news came out like two days ago and it’s already super messy. Shots from both sides through the media about why each is incompetent.

It’s in both of their best interests to resolve this quickly but they won’t. And whoever is left is going to be hated in all likelihood.

We’ll see how things go
Boehly is at least a fan at heart. The guy likes watching the sport and plays Football Manager. That doesn't mean he will make great decisions, but you can see he cares about the sporting side of things. Eghbali and his group treat players strictly as an investment vehicle and don't really seem to be evaluating much from a sporting perspective.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Boehly is at least a fan at heart. The guy likes watching the sport and plays Football Manager. That doesn't mean he will make great decisions, but you can see he cares about the sporting side of things. Eghbali and his group treat players strictly as an investment vehicle and don't really seem to be evaluating much from a sporting perspective.
It shows

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

We’ll see how things go

I think anyone thinking that Boehly is going be the one left standing is being hopeful. He's clearly already being iced out of major decisions and doesn't have controlling interest. Clearlake holds the cards here.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think anyone thinking that Boehly is going be the one left standing is being hopeful. He's clearly already being iced out of major decisions and doesn't have controlling interest. Clearlake holds the cards here.
If I was Chelsea I’d want them to all leave. Not a single one has shown they can run a team

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If I was Chelsea I’d want them to all leave. Not a single one has shown they can run a team

Yeah, none of them come across as particularly great, I just mean that the article makes it abundantly clear that Beghali and his guys have zero interest in selling the club or relinquishing any sort of control. Boehly can have people approaching him with their investment interest all they want, unless Clearlake decides they're willing to take a hike (which everything points to no), it's a moot point.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It says that it's because Enzo made the remarks as a member of the Argentine team while Betancur made them in a personal interview. I guess I sorta get it but where's Chelsea on this? Can't his club suspend him?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It says that it's because Enzo made the remarks as a member of the Argentine team while Betancur made them in a personal interview. I guess I sorta get it but where's Chelsea on this? Can't his club suspend him?
The same club that named him captain almost immediately after lol don’t bet on it.

𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘮 for racism
Fixed that for you.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don't remember the context for how/why Bentacur said it, but "all Koreans look the same" seems pretty tame compared to basically singing "those black players are African not French." The FA really is something.

Reactions: maclean and luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad