Confirmed with Link: [Alter] Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Meh thought they’d wait the year for Tavares’s contract to run out and do the changing of captaincy then.

The Tavares-era leafs should be remembered as the most disappointing era of the leafs.
Screenshot_20240814_183557_Samsung Internet.jpg

Really?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
To me, that team was expected to suck. They were missing a 1C and a 1D and 1G for almost their entire era.

as a whole, the kessel-era leafs were bad, not disappointing because they never could set the expectations as anything serious. Even the most optimistic fan would see that team as a team fighting for the playoffs. This teams expectations were cup contenders, probably winning 1 or 2. Instead we are 1st round buys. I think that’s more disappointing than missing the playoffs.

Tavares era leafs that finishes:
7, 13, 6, 4, 4, 10

The kessel eras best season was 9 in a shortened season. So in 6 years, they had a higher finish 4 times. The team wasn’t perfect, but they showed potential and always squandered their opportunity.

Looking at the players, same thing. Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares have been far more disappointing in the playoffs vs Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Bozak. Partly due to not having the latter play as much as the former, but more so because the talent in the first 4 is insane compared to the second group.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Better yet, pay Bennett/Granlund $6 mil, and have Tavares as your 3C at $4mil.
Depends how much money are left.
As Woll already signed a new contract which will pay him close to 3mil more a season.
Both Knies and McCabe will most likely be resign with a combine raise of 5-6mil.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
From what I can tell, the Toronto Maple Leafs are the last Canadian franchise to name an American as captain.

Vancouver Canucks: Quinn Hughes.
Ottawa Senators: Brady Tkachuk
Calgary Flames: Craig Conroy
Montreal Canadiens: Brian Gionta and Max Pacioretty
Edmonton Oilers: Doug Weight
Winnipeg Jets: Blake Wheeler

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am terrible at reading body language, but to me it seemed like JT was indeed 'stripped' of the captaincy (i.e., this wasn't his decision, it was management's).

But I'm not worried about it either. JT knows how things work in this market, he knows that Matthews is the face of the team, and he does not strike me as the type to get embittered over something like this.

As others have said, it was probably inevitable, too: A bit surprised that the Leafs decided to do it this summer instead of next, but Matthews was always going to be the next captain.
If anyone thinks this was Tavares' idea or that he was good with it, I have a bridge that will look mighty attractive.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
To me, that team was expected to suck. They were missing a 1C and a 1D and 1G for almost their entire era.

as a whole, the kessel-era leafs were bad, not disappointing because they never could set the expectations as anything serious. Even the most optimistic fan would see that team as a team fighting for the playoffs. This teams expectations were cup contenders, probably winning 1 or 2. Instead we are 1st round buys. I think that’s more disappointing than missing the playoffs.

Tavares era leafs that finishes:
7, 13, 6, 4, 4, 10

The kessel eras best season was 9 in a shortened season. So in 6 years, they had a higher finish 4 times. The team wasn’t perfect, but they showed potential and always squandered their opportunity.

Looking at the players, same thing. Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares have been far more disappointing in the playoffs vs Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Bozak. Partly due to not having the latter play as much as the former, but more so because the talent in the first 4 is insane compared to the second group.
Im too lazy for words right now, but i believe you

• Love
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
and do tell... who replaces him?

He doesn't get paid $11 mil this year. :laugh:

Also, his bonus was paid on July 1st of $7.04 mil.

He is only going to get paid $910k for the balance of the year. Some tax savings, and we have no C to replace him. and seriously.. you think there are no tax zones? And Canadians working abroad don't pay Canadian Taxes? :laugh:

It's amazing the things people come up with, yet have no idea what the actual contracts are, the ramifications, no idea about taxation and no plan to replace said players.

You move Tavares without an adequate replacement... and such a player would cost assets and more that $5.5 mil in cap hit.

Sorry, cap hit not cash..?.duh...Leafs can still save 5.5 cap hit

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
From what I can tell, the Toronto Maple Leafs are the last Canadian franchise to name an American as captain.

Vancouver Canucks: Quinn Hughes.
Ottawa Senators: Brady Tkachuk
Calgary Flames: Craig Conroy
Montreal Canadiens: Brian Gionta and Max Pacioretty
Edmonton Oilers: Doug Weight
Winnipeg Jets: Blake Wheeler

lol Gionta and Pacioretty

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If anyone thinks this was Tavares' idea or that he was good with it, I have a bridge that will look mighty attractive.
true but it was quite the dog and pony show they put on , lol

sad they made this day as much about Tavares as they did Mathews

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I am certain it wasn’t his idea, but players before have passed the torch off to next captain in waiting. I think there is a scenario where he was actually good with it, but we will never know for sure.

Reactions: banks and ACC1224

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am certain it wasn’t his idea, but players before have passed the torch off to next captain in waiting. I think there is a scenario where he was actually good with it, but we will never know for sure.
He is a professional athlete that has been treated like a star his entire teenage and adult life. I can't imagine any circumstance under which he was good with this. I am sure he went along with it because he had no choice.

Reactions: myleafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He is a professional athlete that has been treated like a star his entire teenage and adult life. I can't imagine any circumstance under which he was good with this. I am sure he went along with it because he had no choice.

Or maybe John Tavares conceded something he valued for what is hoped to be the greater good. And in making that sacrifice earned a lot of respect for putting the organization above his own wants and ego. And did it with a lot of dignity. Well done, John.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sounds like management decided now was the time and gave him the chance to resign, instead of being fired.

I didn’t get that vibe tbh. I got the vibe that Tavares himself knew the time was right (I don’t think that makes it easier on him). I think he knew that this transition was always going to happen. He wasn’t going to be the captain past his current contract. It felt like he knew his time as captain was running out, probably didn’t want to give it up but knew that’s what’s best for the team and probably himself going into a contract year. I think this takes a lot of pressure off John now. So hopefully we get one of John’s best seasons.

Reactions: Sypher04 and banks

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I wouldn’t say he was good with it. It was his dream to captain the leafs. But I think John understood or understands he is not the defecto leader of this team anymore. It was probably very difficult for him to give up the captaincy. But ultimately John is professional enough to understand teams go through transitions and this is one for the leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad