Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
While your kids wear your replacement's jersey. Glad I wasn't the only one who found that whole thing weird. Matthews is Tavares' wife's boyfriend vibes

It's called professionalism. The NHL used to hold its players to a higher standard while the other leagues' players dressed like clowns.

The whole group, including the former captain, dressed professionally. And Matthews can't be bothered to do better than a jacket and t shirt. Yet he's the new leader?
You whine about what seems like everything.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why is first US born important?

same reason why the first European/Swedish born (Mats) was important. when you're the first to do something it's nice to be acknowledged for it.

I think at the very least, it finally puts more of that heat on Matthews. He's no longer just that young guy coming up, he's in the peak of his career and highest paid player in the league, and now he's the face of this team in every facet.

Bryan Hayes was saying this yesterday on Overdrive. Like. this might not be so much a knock on Tavares or whatever -but putting pressure on Matthews. like you were here for all of it buddy - you're pushing for 70, now let's see you as captain push this team.

JT was pure class about it. some other comments stated it and I agree, honestly this sounds/feels to me that it was stripped from him and not a it makes sense to do this now, situation [because to me it truly didn't]. Ideally we can somehow win w/JT here. again personally not my first choice as Captain, Matthews but i wasn't asked so it doesn't really matter does it. i wish him the best at it

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
You whine about what seems like everything.
My god, people in here crying about f***ing dress code again. People will go down to the smallest, slightest little thing to try and cry about anything right now.

"why isn't he wearing a suit!? HE DOESNT CARE ABOUT US!"

"Why isnt Nylander there, does the new leadership group hate him!?"

"How could Tavares' children wear Auston Matthews Jerseys? Do you think they wish Auston was their real dad?!"

Half of these people seem like they would enjoy sharing a hot dog with Steve Simmonds about how like minded they are.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Well that was an awkward press conference. Have to think they couldve done it a better way and not have to be so honest lol.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Well that was an awkward press conference. Have to think they couldve done it a better way and not have to be so honest lol.
Better this way than 'not being honest' because then the media and fans would spend the next year debating what the reason was and beating it to death.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Better this way than 'not being honest' because then the media and fans would spend the next year debating what the reason was and beating it to death.
Well they werent entirey honest, but they gave us enough hints to what the real truth was.

They shouldve went all in on that they decided it was time and took it from Tavares.

Or

They shouldve went all im that Tavares wanted this.

it was an awkward inbetween.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Maybe if ya'll in Toronto were more vocal the team would actually see some meaningful change
...don't cheer for the team then? What do you want me to say? I'm just commenting on the fact that it seems as though almost every post of yours is inherently negative and whiney.

You're whining about Auston Matthews wearing a white t-shirt under his blazer instead of a white collared shirt. Should we all go protest outside the arena? Would that bring about meaningful change for you? Why don't you fly to Toronto and go speak to someone at MLSE?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
While your kids wear your replacement's jersey. Glad I wasn't the only one who found that whole thing weird. Matthews is Tavares' wife's boyfriend vibes

It's called professionalism. The NHL used to hold its players to a higher standard while the other leagues' players dressed like clowns.

The whole group, including the former captain, dressed professionally. And Matthews can't be bothered to do better than a jacket and t shirt. Yet he's the new leader?
Hahahaha. How’s that professionalism doing for the NHL? While they continue to make 2x less than their counter parts. A little personality will not kill the NHL or the players. It might even help them make more money.

You know what’s professional? Going on the field and getting it done. No one cares if you walk in off the bus on a suit because it doesn’t matter when it comes to performance. Is Tom Brady any less Tom Brady like because he wore a t-shirt to the game? Is Lebron any less Lebron like because he’s got earrings, glasses, dress shorts and a vest? The answer quite simply is no. But you know what helps performance? When athletes can be 100% their true authentic self without judgement. That’s something all the other leagues have figured out and why they are dominating and continually gaining revenue.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Well they werent entirey honest, but they gave us enough hints to what the real truth was.

They shouldve went all in on that they decided it was time and took it from Tavares.

Or

Brother, you mustn't ask too many questions about our King Gods!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Hahahaha. How’s that professionalism doing for the NHL? While they continue to make 2x less than their counter parts. A little personality will not kill the NHL or the players. It might even help them make more money.

You know what’s professional? Going on the field and getting it done. No one cares if you walk in off the bus on a suit because it doesn’t matter when it comes to performance. Is Tom Brady any less Tom Brady like because he wore a t-shirt to the game? Is Lebron any less Lebron like because he’s got earrings, glasses, dress shorts and a vest? The answer quite simply is no. But you know what helps performance? When athletes can be 100% their true authentic self without judgement. That’s something all the other leagues have figured out and why they are dominating and continually gaining revenue.
People whining about athletes wearing a t-shirt under their blazer ignoring the fact that some of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world wear jeans and black t-shirts every single day, and it has zero impact on their intelligence or success.

Yes of course... how loud the fans are, could influence management.
I look forward to JKG starting a chant at the home opener about Auston's t-shirt.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I really wouldn't put Minten as a top6 center. I'd rather he develop in bottom 6 for a season or two and then take the top6 reigns.

Tavares IMO really depends on what he is looking for as a pending UFA. if he is looking for a lucrative contract, thats not gonna be with the Leafs IMO

Marner really isn't center material honestly. Just see Crosby's spittin chicklets chat where he says he has to work on his skating as game is getting fast every year and now a days defense pinches so much that if center isn't helping out on the boards your team is toast. And quite frankly Marner absolutely SUCKS with board battles and avoids contact more than I avoid broccoli :laugh:
I completely agree (except for the broccoli part). I did list Marner and Minten as 'possible', although I don't think either would do. I think Nylander is the best choice from within.

Reactions: PromisedLand

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Or

I think the truth is that that’s how this decision probably came together. I think listening to both. It seems like Tavares kind of felt now was the right time and the club ultimately decided that too. I think Tavares was more than likely ready to relieve himself of that pressure going into a contract year.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
SUITS GOSHDARNIT!!!!!!! (No clue at anyone's ages but whining about suits/t-shirts def fits this vibe)
1000021813.jpg

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
...don't cheer for the team then? What do you want me to say? I'm just commenting on the fact that it seems as though almost every post of yours is inherently negative and whiney.

You're whining about Auston Matthews wearing a white t-shirt under his blazer instead of a white collared shirt. Should we all go protest outside the arena? Would that bring about meaningful change for you? Why don't you fly to Toronto and go speak to someone at MLSE?
I mean if ya'll would boo the team and hold them accountable instead of lapping up shit like Matthews 70 goal chase, they might feel some pressure to actually make meaningful changes. Until MLSE actually feels pressure from the city, we'll continue to get meaningless changes like this while MLSE says "look guys we did something!"

It's the kind of unprofessionalism I've come to expect from the trio. If they were winning playoff games? Wear a purple jumpsuit for all I care. But until then, don't show up to a press conference looking like you're going on a hinge date

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Imagine being fired from your job and told that the company would appreciate it if you would give a statement in front of the entire company on why you were let go, then asked to hand off the keys to your replacement while posing for photos.

Yikes.

It's one thing to strip Tavares of the "C" but to hold a press conference to announce it with Tavares in attendance to "hand off" to AM was just terrible. Absolutely brutal.
Complete opposite effect from me. For one, Tavares wasn't fired. He stepped aside and paved the way for the young stud in the office who is the face of the company to take over the reigns and lead the charge, while continuing to be as supportive as possible as one of his right-hand men.

Also, I thought it was great that Tavares was classy enough, along with his wife and kids, to be there to hand it off. Passing of the torch, so to speak. He could have pouted and been pissed, or he could have accepted it graciously like a professional. Like he did.

If anything, I gained even more respect today for Tavares, and he was already one of my top two favourite Leafs as it was before today.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
People whining about athletes wearing a t-shirt under their blazer ignoring the fact that some of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world wear jeans and black t-shirts every single day, and it has zero impact on their intelligence or success.

Why did the Leafs reverse the relaxed dress code after a couple of weeks if it doesn't matter?

Reactions: rumman and JKG33

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I am terrible at reading body language, but to me it seemed like JT was indeed 'stripped' of the captaincy (i.e., this wasn't his decision, it was management's).

But I'm not worried about it either. JT knows how things work in this market, he knows that Matthews is the face of the team, and he does not strike me as the type to get embittered over something like this.

As others have said, it was probably inevitable, too: A bit surprised that the Leafs decided to do it this summer instead of next, but Matthews was always going to be the next captain.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I mean if ya'll would boo the team and hold them accountable instead of lapping up shit like Matthews 70 goal chase, they might feel some pressure to actually make meaningful changes. Until MLSE actually feels pressure from the city, we'll continue to get meaningless changes like this while MLSE says "look guys we did something!"

It's the kind of unprofessionalism I've come to expect from the trio. If they were winning playoff games? Wear a purple jumpsuit for all I care. But until then, don't show up to a press conference looking like you're going on a hinge date
Wearing a t-shirt under your blazer instead of a dress shirt has absolutely zero bearing on how good or bad of a leader someone is, and I think you know that. But it's like I said, you tend to come off as inherently negative and whiney. If you don't like the team then go cheer for the Kings or the Jets or whoever else you fancy on a given day instead of putting the blame on some of us here.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Wearing a t-shirt under your blazer instead of a dress shirt has absolutely zero bearing on how good or bad of a leader someone is, and I think you know that. But it's like I said, you tend to come off as inherently negative and whiney. If you don't like the team then go cheer for the Kings or the Jets or whoever else you fancy on a given day instead of putting the blame on some of us here.
It's about presenting an image. Looking professional. If the team isn't winning where it matters, they should at least look put together and capable.

You started whining about what my criticism of the team/players and then pout when I flip it back on you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad