All-time underrated players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
His playoff stats aren't even that bad compared to his regular season stats. He wasn't a superstar, and was only ppg 3 times in his career. He happened to have his entire prime through the entire 70s while being super durable.

Posts like yours make less then zero sense.
They do. He had a significant drop off in scoring compared to his regular season stats. Of course him being in his prime throughout the entire decade helped to skew the numbers this way I am not denying that. Nevertheless that doesn't make him underrated.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
They do. He had a significant drop off in scoring compared to his regular season stats. Of course him being in his prime throughout the entire decade helped to skew the numbers this way I am not denying that. Nevertheless that doesn't make him underrated.

His numbers also look worse because he has 1 point in his last 12 playoff games as an old player. Where he was scoring at lower then .5 ppg. The rest of his career, outside of a few series his numbers don't look bad at all considering his caliber of player.

I didn't say he was underrated, but he also isn't a playoff choker either.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
12 goals in 52 playoff games
2 goals in 17 international games

once it got tough he couldn't compete

1) He had 1 point in 13 games as a bit player for the Oilers in his mid-30s. 29 points in 39 games through the bulk of his career.

2) Looking at playoff totals for guys on mediocre teams who consistently were underdog teams running into powerhouses in the playoffs isn't really helpful. Look at Ron Francis' playoff results when getting squished with Hartford vs. what he did with Pittsburgh.

Point is that Unger is a shockingly anonymous player for a guy who was 3rd in the NHL in goal scoring over a decade-long span.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Alex Delvecchio comes to mind. If he's remembered at all, he's probably remembered as someone who played a long time in the NHL, and for much of that time with Gordie Howe. Number 10 was a smart player and a terrific skater who performed very well with and without the puck, at either end of the ice. Delvecchio isn't mentioned with Dave Keon and Henri Richard, but he should be.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1) He had 1 point in 13 games as a bit player for the Oilers in his mid-30s. 29 points in 39 games through the bulk of his career.

2) Looking at playoff totals for guys on mediocre teams who consistently were underdog teams running into powerhouses in the playoffs isn't really helpful. Look at Ron Francis' playoff results when getting squished with Hartford vs. what he did with Pittsburgh.

Point is that Unger is a shockingly anonymous player for a guy who was 3rd in the NHL in goal scoring over a decade-long span.

garry unger > mike gartner

who wanta to fight me on this?

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Gartner has three more 30-goal seasons than Wayne Gretzky or Gordie Howe.
I like it. But it needs to be said:

1. Gordie Howe was top-5 in NHL points for 20 consecutive seasons; his 'only' 29 goals in 1955 was a shorter season and still top 5 in goals. In 1960 and 1964 he also had south of 30 goals, but still higher relative to his contemporaries than Gartner's era.

2. Trying to say player x scored more goals in a season/seasons than Gretzky is the ultimate non-starter: it carries no water. There are too many reasons...

3. Gartner is like Bossy but more wheels, less shot, more wrap around.

4. Gartner's claim to fame is speed and durability. Full stop.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
...speed and durability to the extent that he was the league's fastest skater in his mid-30s. And that against guys like Fedorov, Bure, Selänne in their youth. His All-Star skills competition lap in 1996 at 36 with skates of that era was faster than McDavid's this year. Most rightfully in the HHoF.

Garry Unger may be underrated, but he didn't play until 36 and in his final years in Edmonton Matti Hagman was a lot better than him.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
How about Russ and Geoff Courtnall ? As a Sabres fan those two always seemed to have good games against us...They could skate too.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
How about Russ and Geoff Courtnall ? As a Sabres fan those two always seemed to have good games against us...They could skate too.
Russ Courtnall was a somewhat soft quick-skating Top-6 winger and rarely has been described as anything better or worse than that. His defensive play was a bit underrated (due to being small and soft), but that's really the extent of his underratedness.

Pat Burns famously nicknamed him Le Chevreuil (The Deer), and it was a pretty apt nickname.

But he was a Top-6 winger for essentially his career, minus his stint with the Kings. 900 games worth of Top-6 winging, that's... very good.

Last edited:

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024

They were both slightly overrated if anything because of the novelty of being similar skilled brothers. Both good players, Geoff was especially clutch in the playoffs. Neither was underrated imo.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
How about being underrated and despised (and underrated in large part because he is despised)? That's Dale Hunter. As a big fan of the Nordiques - before the Peter Stastny trade - I can tell you that Hunter was a very effective player, with and without the puck. In the playoffs, Dale really rose to the occasion - especially when games went in to overtime.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Forward maybe, from 06 to 09 you have a big 6foot2 really strong and fast skater, 21 in points, 18 in goals can play wings, center, etc... could see him in the conversation for the best 20 forward of that window.

Add goaltenders and Ds, could be hard to make him fit

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Peter Stasny is a great answer. Had more points in the 1980's than anyone but Gretsky (even beat out Kurri).

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
^ I think that piece of trivia has served to overrate him, for my tastes, actually...
This imo, the mileage he did because is second place was timed with a decade, versus say Hawerchuk doing the same but from 1982 to 1992 or something. Or adam Oates which I would imagine we can find a 10 years window with him number 2.

Do it in that period:

No one ever mention it, replace 82 and 92 by round numbers and people do.

I think it is in part fair when you do that exercise, there a lot of Dionne-Lafleur, Esposito, Sakic, Yzerman, Jagr, Lemieux, crosby, Kane, St-Louis, etc... type of name that will be number 2 and now Stastny surprise some and it became a big trivia specially the only one to beat him was named Gretzky. But he made a lot of mileage with it versus Hawerchuk doing exactly the same thing (or even Dionne has an old player, Marcel Dionne during his last 10 years, only Gretzky had more points).

Those Nordiques never winning the cup often use the Isles-Oilers excuse, they lost to one of them a single time in that era.

Last edited:

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
There are so many great legends in this sport that accomplished lots of things. Personally, for me, if we're putting a case for underrated player, the player must be

1) Not a HOF. You are well recognized if you are one.
2) You're not the first in the fan mind if we're saying club hero or legend.
3) Insane stats and feats
4) Winner

For those criteria, IMO - this is few all-time underrated player IMO

1) Pete Mahovlich
- 2OA in the very first draft
- Little M
- 773 points in 884 games
- 4 cups with Canadiens

2) Bobby Smith
- 1OA in 1978 draft
- 1036 points in 1077 games
- Carry North Stars to two final
- Another 2 final for Canadiens, Won one of them, Score the GWG

3) Steve Duchesne
- Undrafted D-men
- Perennial 50-70 points D-men
- 752 points in 1113 games
- Won SC with Red Wings in his last season

4) Brian Rafalski
- Another undrafted D-men
- Starts his career in Europe (he is an American) and grab the NHL spot later
- Perennial 40-50 points D-men
- 515 points in 833 games
- Hard-nosed d-men for both Devils and Red Wings. Won 3 cups.
- Best D-men in 2010 Olympic.

5) Ray Whitney
- The Wizard
- 23OA in 1991 draft
- 1064 points in 1330 games
- 20-30 goal scorer
- Won cup with Canes in 06

6) Mike Krushelnyski
- Crusher
- 120OA in 1979 draft
- 569 points in 897 games
- Linseman coveted replacement besides Tikkanen
- 3 Cups with Oilers

7) Pierre Larouche
- 8OA in 1974 draft
- 822 points in 812 games (Over PPG!)
- 45+ goal scorers with 3 different teams (Pitt, Canadiens and NYR)
- Won 2 cups with Canadiens
- Weirdest career ever (won the cups when he has a subpar season, absolutely nowhere when he was cooking).

There are lots more but this are few I can think of.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Obligatory Brian Rafalski comment, I may have made it pages ago, but he deserves additional praise

He started to get some credit on the back-end of his career but yeah, otherwise he's forgotten too often.

I love thinking of underrated defensemen from the past in general.

Two I can think of:

-Allan Stanley, who played for over 20 years and is in the HOF but doesn't get much coverage, even here.

-Doug Bodger is a guy who the great players seem to recognize as being supremely talented. I've heard multiple former players describe him as being a force on the PP and stronger than his peers on podcasts.

Reactions: The Pale King

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
John Ogrodnick

Danny Gare

Brian Sutter

Reed Larsen

Dave Taylor
Any thought about what we'd think about Reed Larson if he was in a better situation? Like, not the Islanders - partly because of his unstructured defensive game - not the top of the heap...but like a Minnesota or some team that was just *gestures circularly* around it in the late 70's/early 80's...? Maybe would have been a nice complement as a shooter to the puck mover Hartsburg...? No obligation to respond, but I got the sense that you were watching hockey around this time based on the name selections...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Gartner has three more 30-goal seasons than Wayne Gretzky or Gordie Howe.

the obvious rejoinder is he also has fewer 90 pt seasons than joe mullen

that said, i have a lot of time for mullen. i’d absolutely advocate for him being very underrated.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Joe Mullen was a memorable and highly respected player back in the day, but perhaps hasn't quite been remembered accordingly. I'd say until sometime in the 2000s he wasn't very underrated but now surely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad