All Things Pegula 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I’m not a Pegula apologist but I am an apologist against victims of the court of reactionary public opinion. Working in public schools, the stories I’ve heard about the shit teenagers make up is terrifying (not trying to equate whoever made the claim with the half-developed brain of a teenager—just trying to say that the volume and severity of completely baseless claims that result in ruined lives is scary). The cynic in me tells me it’s certainly plausible that an old white billionaire would say something like this. But a world in which anyone can say anything and people reactively treat it as truth and get the pitchforks out, regardless of the quality of evidence that supports the claim, is not a good world.

We’ll never know more as this will be likely me in an out of court settlement, as is the standard PR/legal response to these kinds of things. And in a he said/she said scenario like this, without any evidence what can you do but factor it into the greater picture? Is this one statement in a pattern of questionable/offensive statements or behaviors? To my knowledge, no. But then again I don’t pay attention closely. I do know that the Bills/Sabres organizations seem to still be running with the cause since following the Tops shooting. If he’s indeed innocent here, I’d imagine he would be furious at the accusation after the whole choose love campaign.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wow, talk about a bit of a misleading headline. Pegula didn't say that the league was under assault by the protests......he said it was under assault by then-President Trump.

Bit of a difference there.
Sounds like he didn't have a take on the social aspect of the protests one way or another.. it was about business.

Reactions: Tatanka

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wow, talk about a bit of a misleading headline. Pegula didn't say that the league was under assault by the protests......he said it was under assault by then-President Trump.

Bit of a difference there.
Misleading headlines that don't truly reflect the article has gone on forever. I'm not sure why headline writers are frequently not the author of the article. But it must drive the article writers crazy, since they're the ones who end up getting any blowback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He doesn't need to have it on recording for it to be true. You sound like sleezy defense lawyer who doesn't care what actually happened.
No, I'm a career LEO that has seen how false or totally unsupported statements or accusations can either be 1) maliciously used to trash people for an agenda or 2) be so irresponsibly handled that even if true, can't be used in any meaningful way and leave everyone left to point fingers with no proper conclusion. I have way too much investigative experience than to ignore the failings of unsupported accusations or un-provable statements.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I posted this in the Bills thread. But on account the overwhelming majority of legal complaints I have read contained multiple allegations that are %100 untrue, I would never give any credence to solely a legal complaint

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I mean no matter if he said that or not, what f***ing context would make it okay to say such a thing?
Such as, somebody quotes someone else, or makes an absurd statement to characterize a bad argument. Then someone takes that statement as true and genuine from the person's mouth. So yes, there is context in which someone can say something bad but not actually mean it themselves. I've sloshed through a career full of investigations having to parse through the minutiae of what people mean when they say something or quote someone else.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
“The investigation took place shortly after the comment was brought to the league’s attention, and no one else from the dinner recalled the statement being made, according to this source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.”

If true, glad to hear it. Hard to put full faith in an anonymous source on the matter though, much less whether anyone would be willing to have their knives out for terry

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Need society refs that can throw a red flag and overturn false accusations. No video, audio, or picture evidence, refs must overturn. The commercials where they throw red flags on real life situations is low-key genius.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Well it’s not at random. It’s in the context of asking for money. Which is a context where people certainly pull things out of their ass
Sure but it’s not really essential to that case and he opens himself up to a lot of damage as opposed to the average over litigious bum looking for a cash grab

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
In any event without recording proof of him dropping an N bomb he’s not going anywhere. If he can weather the storm of perception and get right with the players he’ll be fine

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
“The investigation took place shortly after the comment was brought to the league’s attention, and no one else from the dinner recalled the statement being made, according to this source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.”

If true, glad to hear it. Hard to put full faith in an anonymous source on the matter though, much less whether anyone would be willing to have their knives out for terry
You're framing it backward though. The burden is on the accuser to establish these things were said. You are assuming they are.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sure but it’s not really essential to that case and he opens himself up to a lot of damage as opposed to the average over litigious bum looking for a cash grab
I would say it's essential.. he is saying this is the culture of the NFL ... The league fired me for speaking out against this culture.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
You're framing it backward though. The burden is on the accuser to establish these things were said. You are assuming they are.
I’m not a fact finder in civil litigation and am unburdened by the solemn obligation of the court

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I would say it's essential.. he is saying this is the culture of the NFL ... The league fired me for speaking out against this culture.
One off-point comment in establishing environment won’t be essential to the claim. The overall environment is essential, sure

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Well it's one of "many" that establishes culture..no?
Yeah, I don’t mean to suggest it’s unimportant altogether but if I’m pushing a claim here, in my view t’s not worth fabricating that relative to the cost of getting found out. He may feel differently, he may be misinformed, or it may be true. For our purposes it doesn’t really matter because the root issue isn’t enough to pressure him to sell

Reactions: Beerz

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
No, I'm a career LEO that has seen how false or totally unsupported statements or accusations can either be 1) maliciously used to trash people for an agenda or 2) be so irresponsibly handled that even if true, can't be used in any meaningful way and leave everyone left to point fingers with no proper conclusion. I have way too much investigative experience than to ignore the failings of unsupported accusations or un-provable statements.
Well, as a lifetime LEO (Born in August) with extensive experience of watching true crime videos on YouTube and listening to podcasts, I have to agree.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Whats does this have to do with anything? I'm talking about how you are framing things in the debate on here.
You’re citing a burden of proof, which I assumed was associated with the civil action at the center of the matter. If you’re saying that standard is necessary for forming one’s opinions in everyday life I simply disagree

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Trotter's accusation is based on an anonymous source. He didn't personally hear Pegula say it.

Trotter said he first learned of Pegula's comment when another NFL Media reporter mentioned it on a companywide Zoom call in September 2020.

That reporter recalled a conversation during which Pegula spoke about the recent rise in social activism by NFL players and their support for the Black Lives Matter movement, the lawsuit states.
The unidentified reporter shared on the call, according to Trotter's complaint, that Pegula had said: “If the Black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is.”

"This remark was so offensive and racist that the people in the meeting appeared to be frozen, unsure how to even react," Trotter said in the complaint.

A league source told The Buffalo News that the alleged comment was thoroughly investigated, including interviews with Terry and his wife and co-owner, Kim Pegula – who both denied the statement – and every other person at the dinner where this conversation purportedly took place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad