All Things Pegula 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Didn't Black "resign" from the position as president? LaFontaine also had an NDA for his resignation so nothing has come out about the "why" for his departure, but let's not think he was some great team president. He turned up Murray for them in the GM search from what we read, after being hired for the job as another gushing fanboy moment by Terry.

Brandon's departure had more to do with his misconduct than anything. And it was long, long overdue.

Black was in essence fired, but officially framed as "mutually agreed to part ways" I think. He was fired and forced out by the Pegulas' initial impression of Russ Brandon. I agree that Russ Brandon being kicked was long overdue. I have close-hand knowledge he was pulling inner-office nonsense as far back as the early 00s as the Director of Marketing for the Bills. I don't think he was ever particularly good at his job, he just had good fortune of emerging and climbing as Ralph Wilson was in advanced age. Selling NFL football tickets in Buffalo at a low price with the lawless party atmosphere isnt/wasnt that difficult.

LaFontaine is a sticky issue. IMO, his publicly stated philosophies were dead-on (its possible that after 16 years of Darcy, maybe it was just great to hear someone sound inspiring). I do think the intent was learning and absorbing from Patrick... mid-stream November with no-GM, mid-tear down to do this? Tough sailing for sure. If LaFontaine were allowed to continue, could it have been any worse than it has turned out since?
I do think the intent of the structure was that LaFontaine would essentially be an active team president where Murray would have tended more to the scouting side and they would have worked (hopefully) in a symbiotic nature.
Nothing has come out with the NDA. The fan favorite version is LaFontaine wanted to extend Miller and Murray wanted to trade him to see the tank through. I do not believe that is true. What I have heard from 2 different places is that Kim/LaFontaine butted heads throughout the short tenure and things got to a boiling point on the parents' trip out west. Miller wanted to bring his wife, Lafontaine said no, this is a team bonding activity with parents. Kim overruled LaFontaine and it resulted in a point of no return.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I've been on the "Pegulas are cheap with the Sabres" train ever since COVID, but I'm not sure if this qualifies:

The past handful of Keybank Center events I've gone to, one of the escalators is either broken/breaks during the event. This happened at the Bandits game on Saturday, during March Madness, and during two Sabres games I went to in March/April. Also, it seems like they only have ushers for every other (or even every 3/4, I couldn't really tell) sections. The escalator breaking may seem like a minor inconvienece, but it forces everybody to one side of the building and creates a lot of congestion - pretty annoying. Seems like it should've been fixed by now.

Is this a cost-cutting move, or am I being overly harsh on them not spending? I know the Pegula's lease agreement with the KBC has them responsible for upkeep - but I don't know if I'm just looking things to complain about or if it's actually unacceptable.

As a whole, that arena is terrible. In recent years, the arena is becoming decrepit as well.

We are at the point where a good heap of money is going to be needed to update and repair the arena (Id prefer if it were wrecking-balled and we can start over). The Sabres' lease goes until 2025 I think. I dont blame them, the Pegulas arent putting a lot of money in the arena at this point. There is going to be an ask from the state/county/city for everything from a 2020's scoreboard to new seating to escalators that work every event. The Pegulas will probably need to pay X-Amount. Any big money they spend now will be off the table in those negotiations.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
" I do not believe that is true. What I have heard from 2 different places is that Kim/LaFontaine butted heads throughout the short tenure and things got to a boiling point on the parents' trip out west. Miller wanted to bring his wife, Lafontaine said no, this is a team bonding activity with parents. Kim overruled LaFontaine and it resulted in a point of no return."
yup.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
The past handful of Keybank Center events I've gone to, one of the escalators is either broken/breaks during the event. This happened at the Bandits game on Saturday, during March Madness, and during two Sabres games I went to in March/April. Also, it seems like they only have ushers for every other (or even every 3/4, I couldn't really tell) sections. The escalator breaking may seem like a minor inconvienece, but it forces everybody to one side of the building and creates a lot of congestion - pretty annoying. Seems like it should've been fixed by now.
Escalators are notorious for breaking down. I've worked with a lot of elevator companies over the years as well as working out at the Galleria mall almost weekly for many years and the escalators always seemed to be broken. Every single time I was at the Galleria I would see one of the elevator companies guys there fixing one or several of them. with so many people using them stuff gets dropped into them constantly and things like coins, gum, etc can cause problems which will ultimately lead to a safety mechanism shutting them down if the balance is thrown off.

Not trying to defend the Pegula's here by the way, just noting escalators are an absolute service nightmare. A lot of places will end up paying half the cost of the things in annual maintenance bills.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As a whole, that arena is terrible. In recent years, the arena is becoming decrepit as well.

We are at the point where a good heap of money is going to be needed to update and repair the arena (Id prefer if it were wrecking-balled and we can start over). The Sabres' lease goes until 2025 I think. I dont blame them, the Pegulas arent putting a lot of money in the arena at this point. There is going to be an ask from the state/county/city for everything from a 2020's scoreboard to new seating to escalators that work every event. The Pegulas will probably need to pay X-Amount. Any big money they spend now will be off the table in those negotiations.

It's wild to think we're at the point of needing to build or massively overhaul that arena. But the lack of maintenance seems to point to once again the tax payers getting the shitty end of the stick regarding all of that... again.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
It's wild to think we're at the point of needing to build or massively overhaul that arena. But the lack of maintenance seems to point to once again the tax payers getting the shitty end of the stick regarding all of that... again.
It is getting up there in age, close to 30 years old. I still like the place, but it really needs some TLC and hopefully as the team on the ice turns around, the arena will start getting some much needed attention.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON

yeah, for sure.
it makes me feel old, but that arena is now about 26-27 years old. The Sabres have been a tenant of that arena for a longer period of time than the Aud. We are already starting to see contemporary (or newer) arenas being replaced in Ottawa and Phoenix.

One thing that seems clear with Crossroads/Marine Midland/HSBC/First Niagara/Key Bank Center is that it was built with cost savings in mind. I have been in a number of arenas that opened at that time (Philly, Boston, Toronto, Washington, St Louis), and the building materials seem to be much better (like seat quality). The layouts also seem to maximize space and aesthetics (compared to our giant blue wall in the back, visible ductwork, and the bubble dome ceiling. The seat-grade is more gradual than I have seen in any pro-sports arena and there are a lot of blind spots/obstructed views. Almost no overhang. Seats in the 300 corners might as well be in a different area code.

Im very jealous of the UBS Center for the Islanders.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
yeah, for sure.
it makes me feel old, but that arena is now about 26-27 years old. The Sabres have been a tenant of that arena for a longer period of time than the Aud. We are already starting to see contemporary (or newer) arenas being replaced in Ottawa and Phoenix.

One thing that seems clear with Crossroads/Marine Midland/HSBC/First Niagara/Key Bank Center is that it was built with cost savings in mind. I have been in a number of arenas that opened at that time (Philly, Boston, Toronto, Washington, St Louis), and the building materials seem to be much better (like seat quality). The layouts also seem to maximize space and aesthetics (compared to our giant blue wall in the back, visible ductwork, and the bubble dome ceiling. The seat-grade is more gradual than I have seen in any pro-sports arena and there are a lot of blind spots/obstructed views. Almost no overhang. Seats in the 300 corners might as well be in a different area code.

Why is that a surprise? Buffalo in my lifetime is masterful at shaving building expenses yet still charging full price. See the light rail as a prime example of tossing money away and not getting close to the result. People got paid and yet the quality was not there - happens all the time and is one of the things that Buffalo has not overcome IMO.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
At the time it was a poverty franchise in a poverty city. We were very fortunate that Rigas floated the Knoxes/Sabres enough money from behind the scenes to keep the team viable and also get to the finish line with this arena. Cutting costs at the time was a necessary evil. They would have absolutely been on the chopping block along with Minnesota, Quebec, Hartford, and Winnipeg.

Rigas gets a bad rep and rightfully so... but without him, there is no bridge that gets this franchise's existence in Buffalo out of the 90s. Crime or not

Reactions: Dingo44

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
As mentioned above, the arena is turning into a dump. There were lots of good comments above. I really think the place needs a complete renovation or rebuild. I'm not sure how they did the renovation at MSG from a logistics standpoint, but perhaps they could follow that model.

A few things I'd like to see

1. Better, modern scoreboard a la Tampa Lightning
2. More premium seats/mini boxes scattered around the lower bowl.
3. More table seating in the 200 level
4. Common areas in place of seating up in the 300 level
5. A sky box set up like the Canucks Club 500
6. Two escalators on each side of the access/egress area up to the 300 level
7. More of a hockey atmosphere throughout, but especially in the concourses on the main level and 300 level
8. Views of the ice from the concourses

and most important of all
9. Seats colored like the Aud. A few years ago the Sabres did an 80s night using the Aud colored t-shirts colors draped over the blue seats. Looked fantastic:
1014426555-Aud-throwback-GEE1-e1576098680628.jpg

Last edited:

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
yeah, for sure.

2020-07-16_INTERIOR-768x608.jpeg

Jeez, I had no idea it looked this nice. I'm also very jealous.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'd also like to add that the concourses in KBC are extremely narrow and the escalators are a huge bottleneck, even when they are working.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I'd also like to add that the concourses in KBC are extremely narrow and the escalators are a huge bottleneck, even when they are working.
Where those 300 level escalators are located - it appears to me that it was constructed with room for two on each side. That would help at the end of games with a total of four escalators heading down.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
People want to believe Terry is more involved with the Sabres because it’s the easy way to blame. Terry is right there giving advice. Doug Whaley said Pegula was pushing for Patrick Mahomes but McDermott didn’t feel the time was right for a franchise QB. It’s one thing to have an owner giving opinions, and another to have an owner making roster decisions.

The Bills allow everyone at the table to give opinions. The Sabres do as well.

The issue continues to be that the Sabres lack a qualified, experienced voice at that table.

We forget how messy the Marrone/Rex Ryan/Doug Whaley era was. They’ve made mistakes with the Bills. The difference is they eventually hit on a coach, got lucky with a GM, and then GM/coach picked the right QB.

With the Bills McDermott ran the show. He was the boss even when Beane arrived. Once Beane and his team proved themselves McDermott backed off more and more. Now it’s Beane’s show.

Once the Pegulas get the right people and players in place the Sabres will be good for a long time. Not 2-3 years.

You aren't necessarily wrong on this with the Sabres. The issue is, for now at least, the Sabres have yet to get lucky like they did with McDermott/Beane on the Bills. The best case scenario, at least, IMHO, is the Pegula's hire someone who has architected a team before and give them room to build it.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The move is you bust down the stairways if you're on the 300 level.

Concourses are bad though. When it's a packed house it can turn into a gridlock stuffy tomb
I always take the stairs, the problem is that the escalators back up so quickly that the gridlock backs up all the way to the seats and it takes a long time to even make it to the stairs.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I always take the stairs, the problem is that the escalators back up so quickly that the gridlock backs up all the way to the seats and it takes a long time to even make it to the stairs.
Yea I always just took the stairs as well. The escalators always seemed to take longer.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I guess the bottom line is: That arena is in need of a lot of things on many fronts, both great and small. Without even knowing the behind the scenes, structural, engineering, infrastructure stuff, us on the board alone can put together a reasonable list of wants and needs that would total multiple hundreds of millions of dollars.

The lease is coming up soon. The Pegulas are likely going to need to ask for a lot of money (and also should be willing to invest some of their own money). its probable that the prudent thing is to wait until the ink dries and shovels break ground on the new football stadium before broaching the hockey/entertainment arena. They prioritized the football stadium, probably because it is a much more expensive project, and everything was likely delayed 1-2 years due to the pandemic.

I would hope that the state, county, and city will be willing to play ball on this arena. The downtown arena does more for the local economy than the football stadium with an anchor tenant NHL team. I love the Bills too, but a 20K seat arena that holds 50-100 dates a year is a much better ROI for the community.

Reactions: RefsIdeas

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
I mean, it is a bit concerning that nothing has come out but the family needs their privacy and this speculation by Josh is a bit shitty
Josh just stated a fact. He didn't speculate about the postponement at all. That is being done by others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad