Value of: All Things Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Lol no way they trade Fantilli

For a 25 year old franchise center with back to back 100 point seasons?

We're not taking about a 32 year old on his last legs. Pettersson is easily a better player than Fantilli today and likely for several years to come.

Eventually, of course, if Fantilli hits his potential the Canucks win that trade. But he's still an unknown.

Not going to happen.

I can respect that, but ultimately someone will pay that kind of a price if enough teams are involved.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
For a 25 year old franchise center with back to back 100 point seasons?

We're not taking about a 32 year old on his last legs. Pettersson is easily a better player than Fantilli today and likely for several years to come.

Eventually, of course, if Fantilli hits his potential the Canucks win that trade. But he's still an unknown.
fine, ask Steve

I get what you’re saying, Pettersson is absolutely money, but they may think they have a future top 3 player in the league in Fantilli or better

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I can respect that, but ultimately someone will pay that kind of a price if enough teams are involved.
Pettersson is one hell of a player, but I doubt it. The 2024 1st is probably going to be top 5. Hell, Vancouver could get Celebrini with that pick. The only ones I can see offering something better are Anaheim, but I suspect (maybe mistakenly) that they don't have the same immediate playoff aspirations that Columbus do. Plus, they have Carlsson and MacTavish as their future top two centres. Columbus basically only have Fantilli.

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
fine, ask Steve

I get what you’re saying, Pettersson is absolutely money, but they may think they have a future top 3 player in the league in Fantilli or better

Right, but it all depends if they want to wait for that to happen and age out their current core, or bring in a top 5 center in the league today and hope you can rejuvenate Gaudreau/Laine etc.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
One aspect of trading EP for a young up and coming potential super star that might encourage a team to take that chance.

TIME.

Winning isn't done with "hope". Winning isn't done with "potential".
Winning isn't done with games, goals or success not yet played.

Time is chaos, it changes structure, erodes skills and adds expenses in a limited environment.

Any trade for EP involving a young stud or two is a trade for time. That time being now and the immediate years while he is in his prime. His position will be locked up so the need for a replacement can then take years to accomplish. Make the GM job much easier.

Then there is the attraction of other FAs to come and play in that market.

For EP it is where are the Canucks in 4 years? Other teams can answer that as far as the foundational players not counting him.

Fantalli in a trade? Not as big a gamble for Columbus as some might want to believe. They have many young players playing in the NHL.

IMO I would love to see Voronkov, Marchenko, Jireck and Fantalli in a trade for Pettersson. Columbus would still have Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov, all their draft picks and other under 20 yr old prospects. They might even get Celebini or another top 3 pick.

Could simply be Elias wanting to bet on himself and sign a 3-4 year contract to maximize his earnings and the Canucks taking it as he doesn't want to be in Vancouver long-term.
It isn't about money, for years, 4 to 5 at least, he has said it is about winning. Publicly. Well documented.

I think Davidson, for his legacy, will offer sheet Pettersson, a one/two year offer of 15 million which the Canucks cannot match without destroying the team. An offer sheet with the entire roster kept intact would be very enticing for Pettersson.

Ditto Buffalo.

Columbus and Buffalo could be the front runners but once word is out there could be more. The more offer sheet potential the less leverage the Canucks have.

Reactions: BenningHurtsMySoul

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
One aspect of trading EP for a young up and coming potential super star that might encourage a team to take that chance.

TIME.

Time is chaos, it changes structure, erodes skills and adds expenses in a limited environment.

Any trade for EP involving a young stud or two is a trade for time. That time being now and the immediate years while he is in his prime. His position will be locked up so the need for a replacement can then take years to accomplish. Make the GM job much easier.

For EP it is where are the Canucks in 4 years? Other teams can answer that as far as the foundational players not counting him.

Fantalli in a trade? Not as big a gamble for Columbus as some might want to believe. They have many young players playing in the NHL.

IMO I would love to see Voronkov, Marchenko, Jireck and Fantalli in a trade for Pettersson. Columbus would still have Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov, all their draft picks and other under 20 yr old prospects. They might even get Celebini or another top 3 pick.

It isn't about money, for years, 4 to 5 at least, he has said it is about winning. Publicly. Well documented.

I think Davidson, for his legacy, will offer sheet Pettersson, a one/two year offer of 15 million which the Canucks cannot match without destroying the team. An offer sheet with the entire roster kept intact would be very enticing for Pettersson.

Ditto Buffalo.

Columbus and Buffalo could be the front runners but once word is out there could be more. The more offer sheet potential the less leverage the Canucks have.

I would personally drive to Davidson's house and kick him in the shins every day for the rest of his life. And I don't even live in Columbus.

Could simply be Elias wanting to bet on himself and sign a 3-4 year contract to maximize his earnings and the Canucks taking it as he doesn't want to be in Vancouver long-term.

If he signs, Canucks just kick the can down the road and this comes up again in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

TIME.

Ditto Buffalo.

And Columbus tells you thanks but no thanks, have fun with Buffalo. The 24 first unprotected, sure. KJ, definitely. But Fantilli and Voronkov would be off the table completely, and Jiricek as well almost certainly.

Personally, I’d be willing to move any combination of pieces except for Fantilli/Jiricek/Voronkov. Yes, including the first unprotected. There’s a conversation to be had and Columbus can still put together arguably the best offer without them. This would be contingent on EP’s agreement and the premise that the issues between Pat Brisson and the CBJ front office were because of Jarmo.

All that said, the best place for him is Vancouver. No way should the Canucks entertain moving him, especially this early.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Like Tkachuk?
Like Johnny Hockey?

This is becoming a recent pattern.
In fairness, Gaudreau was a UFA, and even from his first contract, M.TKachuk didn't seem thrilled about Calgary, whereas these alleged issues with Vancouver/Pettersson seem pretty recent.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Servalli and Friedman and Dreger all hinting this is so weird that the deal hasn’t been done

It’s getting close to that boiling point like Pettersson doesn’t want to come out and say it, the Canucks just aren’t picking up the subtle signals that he wants to move on.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
And Columbus tells you thanks but no thanks, have fun with Buffalo. The 24 first unprotected, sure. KJ, definitely. But Fantilli and Voronkov would be off the table completely, and Jiricek as well almost certainly.

Personally, I’d be willing to move any combination of pieces except for Fantilli/Jiricek/Voronkov. Yes, including the first unprotected. There’s a conversation to be had and Columbus can still put together arguably the best offer without them. This would be contingent on EP’s agreement and the premise that the issues between Pat Brisson and the CBJ front office were because of Jarmo.

All that said, the best place for him is Vancouver. No way should the Canucks entertain moving him, especially this early.
I only mentioned Fantilli because he was a topic discussed in earlier posts in that thread.
IMO I think Voronkov, Marchenkov, Sillinger/Johnson and the pick should be requested with the pick being a switch of Van's and theirs. Would love to get Jireck too but.......

This early.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.
That was part of the Benning policy of "we don't know what will happen tomorrow" so "don't worry, be happy".

Reactions: squashmaple

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Servalli and Friedman and Dreger all hinting this is so weird that the deal hasn’t been done

It’s getting close to that boiling point like Pettersson doesn’t want to come out and say it, the Canucks just aren’t picking up the subtle signals that he wants to move on.
I don’t buy it, breakers

BlamBlam

Jan 25, 2010
Who’s the best young defenseman you could see him getting traded for in a 1 for 1 deal?

That’s what I’d want if it had to happen.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
If EP40 hits free agency. NYR will be at the top of the bidding. He was there number 1 pick and tried everything to move up and get him.

I would imagine there is still an extremely high interest here. Canucks would be stupid to let him walk though. Break the bank.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
If EP40 hits free agency. NYR will be at the top of the bidding. He was there number 1 pick and tried everything to move up and get him.

I would imagine there is still an extremely high interest here. Canucks would be stupid to let him walk though. Break the bank.
He’s an RFA, so you would be giving up 4 first round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad