All Purpose Training Camp Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/

F James van Riemsdyk returned to practice on Thursday after sustaining a bruised foot from a blocked shot on Tuesday. F Tim Connolly was placed on waivers and F Keith Aucoin was claimed on waivers by the New York Islanders. - TSN

Practice Lines

Forwards:
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Komarov
Brown - McClement - Orr
Steckel - Frattin

Defence:
Kostka - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Komisarek
Liles - Franson

Goaltenders:
Reimer
Scrivens

No time for messing up NHL lines.

I like the Kadri line here.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm so happy, FINALLY! Kadri gets his chance, a legit chance with this team. He deserves it. He's worked his tail off since being drafted, he's been thrown to the wolves numerous times, time to start the Kadri era in Leafland.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I've always rooted for Kadri. I'll admit, I've wavered back and forth a bit... and it started to feel like he was a goner (or bust?) a little last year... but I've got faith he will show he can become a regular NHL producer. Maybe not Mike Ribeiro quality (in terms of points)... but hopefully not too far off.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm so happy, FINALLY! Kadri gets his chance, a legit chance with this team. He deserves it. He's worked his tail off since being drafted, he's been thrown to the wolves numerous times, time to start the Kadri era in Leafland.

Kadri is like all the other drafted players that work their tail off.

We're talking millions of dollars to play a game, and there are no free rides just because you're picked in the top 10.

He hasn't been thrown to the wolves anymore than other prospects around the league. He just gets more press because of where he is located. He's been treated just fine thank you.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've always rooted for Kadri. I'll admit, I've wavered back and forth a bit... and it started to feel like he was a goner (or bust?) a little last year... but I've got faith he will show he can become a regular NHL producer. Maybe not Mike Ribeiro quality (in terms of points)... but hopefully not too far off.

Marc Savard paid his dues before he became the player he was.

I see no reason why Kadri can't elevate his game to that level, but it won't be without him continuing to get better. He has NOT arrived, they just opened the door a little wider for him to prove himself.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's between Orr and Frattin.

Frattin may be better served to play top minutes with the Marlies for now.

He hasn't impressed that much apparently.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
We need to make some room for Frattin. Would not mind a MacArthur trade.

Macarthur is a usefull player. 20 goal scorers don't grow on trees. I'd say you keep him around in case of injuries which are inevitable in condensed season. If they're rolling with the MGK line, Mac was a big part of that. So let's wait and see.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
We need to make some room for Frattin. Would not mind a MacArthur trade.

You never "make room" for someone.

You wait until they push someone else out of the lineup.

Kadri has shown through his AHL play and the camp that he's ready for the NHL. Lombardi and Connolly were moved. Steckel is still a contingency plan if Kadri falters.

Frattin hasn't even been close to ppg in the AHL... supposedly flatlined the last couple weeks and didn't have a great camp. I don't think he's ready to take an everyday role... when he is.. which could be only a month away, they'll find him a spot to play.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I am proud of my beloved organization for what they have done in the past 24 hours. Guys like Lombardi and Connolly were complacent, if you aren't performing, you are subject to being replaced. Guys like Komarov and in particular Kadri played their ***** off this camp and deserved the spots up for grab bottom line, and it helps the organization for the future. The future is now, so time to play the young guys, develop them by giving them time in the NHL, have a great draft and free agency this summer, and compete next year.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
You never "make room" for someone.

You wait until they push someone else out of the lineup.

Kadri has shown through his AHL play and the camp that he's ready for the NHL. Lombardi and Connolly were moved. Steckel is still a contingency plan if Kadri falters.

Frattin hasn't even been close to ppg in the AHL... supposedly flatlined the last couple weeks and didn't have a great camp. I don't think he's ready to take an everyday role... when he is.. which could be only a month away, they'll find him a spot to play.

You're reading too hard into what I said.

He hasn't impressed that much apparently.

Where did you hear this?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who said that? Did you forget D??

Nothing official but the media is reporting it.

I didn't forget the D. Likely one of Kostka or Fraser gets cut. Once Gardiner returns, one more gets cut.

We will probably start the year with 8D and 13F.

FireEverybody*

Macarthur is a usefull player. 20 goal scorers don't grow on trees. I'd say you keep him around in case of injuries which are inevitable in condensed season. If they're rolling with the MGK line, Mac was a big part of that. So let's wait and see.

I will never understand why it is always Mac to get tossed to the side. lol
Guy has been good for us since he got here, no respect at all.

Frattin is not even close to as useful as Mac is at the NHL level right now.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

Agreed.

Not only can he play, but he is one of the few guys on the team who brings a mix of speed, skill and grit. He doesnt skate as fast as Kulemin, shoot like Kessel, dangle like grabo or play gritty like a Brown, but he does all of those things at a pretty good level.

If he can repeat last years stats, I would love to have him back

FireEverybody*

This would be a significant downgrade, assuming the former is replacing the latter.

Frattin is 2 years younger then Mac. This means unlimited more potential ...obviously Frattin is the clear choice.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I love these lines. Gives the young guys a chance to play, while still having a mix of grit and defense in the forward lines.

The defense looks a bit shaky with Kostka on the top line though. Haven't watched too many marlies games, can someone tell me how he plays in his own end? BTW, who is the 7th defenseman, Holzer?

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008

Now I like Mac and am not in a hurry to get rid of him, however Frattin is more what Carlyle wants, I think. He skates hard. He drives to the net with and without the puck. No wide turns.

I think the Leafs need to hang on to Mac. He has a touch for scoring and we cannot afford to lose whatever scoring touch they do have on the roster. If you traded him you would need a similar skill on the roster to replace him. What would be the point? Scoring touch with some character is not easy to find.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Now I like Mac and am not in a hurry to get rid of him, however Frattin is more what Carlyle wants, I think. He skates hard. He drives to the net with and without the puck. No wide turns.

I think the Leafs need to hang on to Mac. He has a touch for scoring and we cannot afford to lose whatever scoring touch they do have on the roster. If you traded him you would need a similar skill on the roster to replace him. What would be the point? Scoring touch with some character is not easy to find.

JVR would likely take his spot on the second line, leaving Komorov - Kadri - Frattin on the 3rd line.

Mind you, I don't think it's wise to throw away Mac for nothing, but if we can get a solid defender I would do it. I'm personally not impressed with Kostka or Fraser and it's clear we need a solid minutes-eating defenceman.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I haven't been this excited for a season in a while. It just seems fresh. New faces, new coach, new gm, almost all the dead weight is gone. Playoffs or tank I feel were moving in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad