Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, if the rumblings are true that he's turned down other teams he's likely not viewed that favorably arm.

At this point if I'm Chevy I hold onto him into the season. Cost the kid a million bucks and see if he's more receptive during the season/next summer.
The thing I'm curious about if this is coming from him, or is he just getting some bad advice. If it is coming from him that is a big red flag for his future and that may have many GMs likely looking at him very differently now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What PLD did after the trade only reinforces the value of moving him. No, it obviously does not represent what LAK expected to get.

Iafallo was a bit of a disappointment last year but his value was not huge at the time of the trade either. And I forgot to mention the pick we got. Like I said, a good trade. But the main piece coming back was Vilardi. And injury continues to be a problem with him. It reduces his value and was well known at the time of the trade.
So in your mind at the time of the trade, LA knew with the pieces with the were giving up, and the massive contract they were giving PLD that he was going to put up 40 pts and need to get out of the deal a year later. Ok.

The peices he was traded for equate to the value at the time of the trade, which he was not a 0.5ppg player.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, if the rumblings are true that he's turned down other teams he's likely not viewed that favorably arm.

At this point if I'm Chevy I hold onto him into the season. Cost the kid a million bucks and see if he's more receptive during the season/next summer.
Agreed. Maybe the kid matures a bit and realizes he isn't such a can't miss prospect that GMs are going to promise him a damn thing and he is just sinking his value wanting them to do so.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With respect to the PLD return, don't discount the effect of being rid of a malcontent. That alone makes the trade worthwhile. Additionally it should be considered that Chevy got that return with his back against the wall (again, though not of his own doing this time).

Kupari I'd agree didn't add up to much, though he's not appreciably different from any of the 4th liners we've grabbed off waivers over the years. He'll amount to something or won't.

Iafallo I thought was quite a good utility player for the Jets over the length of the season, waning towards the tail end though. I'd contend he's better than a lot of the 4th liners we've run in the history of Jets 2.0. He also adequately moved up the lineup at times.

Vilardi agreed still brittle, but time may resolve that. I'll take his performance alone over PLD for this past season somewhat negating the relative importance of Kupari and Iafallo as adds in the trade anyway.

We also always forget the draft pick that came in the draft - Alfons Freij who seemed to impress a little more than expected at rookie camp for a #37 pick. Add in the delicious aspect that it was Montreal's pick after hearing all the "we gonna get PLD for free" for over a year and it adds some nice spice to the trade. Kid might turn out to be a very sneaky pickup though he clearly won't likely be in the league for 3-4 years.

Finally cap space. Sure, PLD may yet turn into the dynamic power center that earns his salary, but that remains to be seen. We're left with a hole at 2C (or 1C depending on your perspective) but we're also not paying Unhappy Dubois $8 million.

I liked the trade and still do. I liked Iafallo and still do. But I think a lot of us have overrated his value in that trade. Apparently Chevy liked Kupari though I have to wonder why.

Yes, the draft pick is often overlooked. Could eventually turn out to be the best piece in that package. He is the only piece not badly flawed yet.

So in your mind at the time of the trade, LA knew with the pieces with the were giving up, and the massive contract they were giving PLD that he was going to put up 40 pts and need to get out of the deal a year later. Ok.

The peices he was traded for equate to the value at the time of the trade, which he was not a 0.5ppg player.

I have no idea how this can be a response to my posts.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I liked the trade and still do. I liked Iafallo and still do. But I think a lot of us have overrated his value in that trade. Apparently Chevy liked Kupari though I have to wonder why.

Yes, the draft pick is often overlooked. Could eventually turn out to be the best piece in that package. He is the only piece not badly flawed yet.

I have no idea how this can be a response to my posts.
Dang now you know how it feels with all your replies.

• Haha
Reactions: rkp and Larabee

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The thing I'm curious about if this is coming from him, or is he just getting some bad advice. If it is coming from him that is a big red flag for his future and that may have many GMs likely looking at him very differently now.

To be a fly on the wall in his camp. It's probably a combo of both imo. He likely has an inflated view of himself and his camp is likely pumping up his tires as well.

I'm the end the buck stops with him and he's responsible for the predicament.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Getting back to the Chevy was stupid to get Monahan and Tofolli talk i thought Monahan did well and produced well while here and Tofolli was slow but he was one of our top goal scorers in the playoffs . The bigger problem was our defense and goaltending . Helly is one of the best and highest paid goalies in the NHL and was not nearly good enough the last 2 playoffs,that's not on Chevy that's on Helly needing to be alot better come playoffs.

Reactions: GNP and SCP Guy

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Like I replied in a different thread on the main boards a while back...

Chevy's new draft interview questions to identify someone who would be willing to spend their carreer here:

1. What's the biggest walleye you've ever caught?
2. Can you take out your phone and show me a picture of you with the biggest buck you've ever shot?
You're not wrong, maybe you're onto something.
Most of the outdoor types seem to love it here, especially if they're from the northern border states...except for Rugburn McGonadary.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Putting a current value on McGroarty is difficult IMO. He was a mid 1st round pick with some nice intangibles. Now he is still a decent mid round pick but any of the favourable intangibles are likely out the window. Not only that his camp may now have annoyed several GMs through this process and his mid 1st round value has taken a hit. I think it is very likely Chevy now has a diminished asset on his hands.

I think that is why Chevy might be playing the long game now. The market place can be very humbling and time pressure is a real thing. Chevy doesn’t panic and that is something I appreciate from him.

In the Spring as Rutger is wrapping up his college season things might be very different for him and even the Jets.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
According to Don Waddell only one team had expressed interest in Laine, I hope to god it's not us.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
According to Don Waddell only one team had expressed interest in Laine, I hope to god it's not us.

I can't believe CBJ was that stupid to pay Laine $9.1 M with signing bonus for each of the next 2 years ... it makes PLD contract look good.:huh:

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

As much as I love a come back story, I don’t want him any where near the Jets either. I want to live with the memory of a young buck kicking ass and not the baggage riddled player he has become.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Not surprised. Columbus has put it out there that they would like to make a "hockey trade" and not have to retain 50% of Laine's salary or something like that. So, yes, Laine's issues are scaring people away, but so is his salary. I would guess that if Laine was a UFA, there would be quite a few teams willing to sign him for a million or two and see what they get, but not at what he's making.

Given that Columbus wants someone in return, I really doubt that they would buy him out and call it a day. In fact the best thing for Columbus would be to let Laine play out the next 2 seasons and hope he's as good as any team trading for him would want him to be.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Jets can't even afford him without significant retention. I juat don't see it happening.

The Bluejackets are better off seeing how his play looks in the season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He also said it could have been done by now if he was willing to retain 50%.

Reactions: surixon

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

What? You don't want to hear from the professor everyday.:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This isn’t all that surprising. Waddell sounds like he has started out trying to make a trade and the tires are not getting kicked. He knows he is going to have to bend over and grab his ankles he’s just taking his time. I agree with Waddell at 50% retention he could get a deal done. Hope Chevy keeps his phone off the hook on this one.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
? Aside from Arniel, being promoted to HC from assistant I don't really know what you are alluding to here. Nice axe you got there to grind though.
Appleton, Brossoit, Stastny, are players they brought back from the past. Dw it's not that serous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium