Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The market will never support a deep rebuild? Who is going to go to games season after season of losing and out of the playoffs by Christmas? We will never have a quick bottom out and back to the top as that requires the ability to quickly add talent to your young stars through UFAs and trades to make up the high end complimentary pieces. Desirable markets like Chicago, LA, Florida and Tampa can do things like that. A team like Buffalo spends an eternity at the bottom and moves out their first generation of young stars then works on rebuild 2.0 and will soon start moving out those young stars for rebuild 3.0. Unless you get a generational player who drastically changes the the equation, your young stars won't stick around long enough to draft the complimentary pieces necessary.
Really? Well, they already did it once, if a Western Conference Final can be considered "the top" (it's semi-top, but pretty close, certainly closer than they've ever been otherwise). How did they get there? After losing to the Ducks in 2014-15 they went on their youth kick. A bit of a tank, as it were, with short-term pain inherent in the plan. Perhaps there were shrinking violets in the fan base then too who thought it would never work. But they already had Ehlers on the team. In 2015 they drafted Connor, who was heading to college for a year. They missed the playoffs in 15-16 (7th in the division, after which they drafted Laine -- score one for the tank) and 16-17 (5th in the division, after which they drafted a dud named Vesalainen). Then in 2017-2018, with Ehlers, Connor and Laine on the roster, they had their best run ever, a pretty quick bounce from very near the bottom. So they've already done what you are saying they will never do. What's keeping them from doing it again? Hopefully not stupidity or shrinkingvioletism. Of course Scheifele was still a good player in 2017-2018, not the selfish, lazy mediocrity he is now, and their defencemen were better than now. But Perfetti is here and very likely to get better. Salomonsson and other Mooses are on the horizon, along with Barlow and some other juniors. Samberg should continue to be capable if not outstanding. Morrissey has warts but has grown considerably in some areas. Hopefully Ville picks up some slack. Maybe Pionk will be gone in a year. So I say crap the bed now while the going is good, before the prospects start making a difference, stock up on a couple of high draft picks (hopefully no more Vesalainens), and pretty soon the snowball will be rolling down the hill gathering momentum -- if Chipman, Chevyldayoff and the coach don't f*** it up like they did last time.

Reactions: Mathil8 and Bigfish

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Corporate sales do need to improve, yes, but I think the city wants to watch a winner, or at least a team that wins more often than not. I don't necessarily agree it's in relation to expectations. Certainly the economy plays a big factor but we saw at the end of the year that attendance improved when the playoffs were approaching and the team was involved.

That was a case of expectations being exceeded encouraging ticket sales.

I'm not suggesting that Wpg hockey fans would prefer to watch a loser. But there is excitement in watching a Fantilli, Bedard or Celebrini develop and watching a team being built around them. The same applies to slightly lesser lights like Leo Carlsson or Will Smith, for example.

Jets great regular season last year created heightened expectations for the PO. Their performance in the PO was all the more disappointing as a result. 2015 Jets were eliminated in 4 straight but the feeling was pretty positive. It was clear that the team did their best but were just overmatched. The announced youth movement for the next season was therefore happily accepted by fans. The team had to get better. There was no drop in attendance in 16, or even 17 as the retool continued. There was optimism.

I don't sense any of that building this off-season. We have seen that they are not even close in the PO and it appears that mostly the same team will be run back this season. Given a probable drop off in goaltending and no improvement elsewhere I see a 3rd or 4th place finish in the Div and another 1st rd exit. What's to get excited about? It isn't too late for something to happen to change that but it becomes less and less likely each day.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets might have fared better vs. the Avs if they had kept the lineup from the first half of the season, with some shuffling.

Perfetti-Namestnikov-Iafallo was a very good de facto 3rd line. Much more quickness than Monahan-Toffoli.

They could have done this...

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Nino-Lowry-Vilardi
Perfetti-Namestnikov-Iafallo
Barron-Gus-Appleton

Inserting Stanley and shifting Samberg to his off-side was an inexplicable coaching blunder against a high-octane opponent (might have been Arniel - I hope not).

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't sense any of that building this off-season. We have seen that they are not even close in the PO and it appears that mostly the same team will be run back this season. Given a probable drop off in goaltending and no improvement elsewhere I see a 3rd or 4th place finish in the Div and another 1st rd exit. What's to get excited about? It isn't too late for something to happen to change that but it becomes less and less likely each day.
For me it's the same thing that I got excited about in 2012 when the team came back - getting the opportunity to watch the best hockey in the world while having a home town team to cheer for

Sometimes the enjoyment is in the journey rather than the destination. I'm always excited to go fishing... it's more fun when I catch a bunch, but it's still awesome when I don't. I hunt elk with a bow, which has a success rate of less than 10% but I look forward to being in the woods every September

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I think the Jets might have fared better vs. the Avs if they had kept the lineup from the first half of the season, with some shuffling.

Perfetti-Namestnikov-Iafallo was a very good de facto 3rd line. Much more quickness than Monahan-Toffoli.

They could have done this...

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Nino-Lowry-Vilardi
Perfetti-Namestnikov-Iafallo
Barron-Gus-Appleton

Inserting Stanley and shifting Samberg to his off-side was an inexplicable coaching blunder against a high-octane opponent (might have been Arniel - I hope not).
They could not have possibly done worse as they were blown away in that series…But that lineup would not have been a challenge for the Avs team we saw, too far away IMHO

We would have had an extra 1st round pick in the draft…and so many would be crying that we never go for it and could have won the cup if Chevy would have only made a splash lol

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The market will never support a deep rebuild? Who is going to go to games season after season of losing and out of the playoffs by Christmas? We will never have a quick bottom out and back to the top as that requires the ability to quickly add talent to your young stars through UFAs and trades to make up the high end complimentary pieces. Desirable markets like Chicago, LA, Florida and Tampa can do things like that. A team like Buffalo spends an eternity at the bottom and moves out their first generation of young stars then works on rebuild 2.0 and will soon start moving out those young stars for rebuild 3.0. Unless you get a generational player who drastically changes the the equation, your young stars won't stick around long enough to draft the complimentary pieces necessary.

I disagree. For one thing, I don't think expensive UFAs are a requirement at all. They may do more harm than good. And I also don't think it is necessary to trade for players old enough to have trade protection. Winnipeg will always have some difficulty attracting and keeping top talent but they have managed to do pretty well at retaining their top players.

Buy bargain FAs. Trade for players who don't yet have trade protections. The expensive FAs and players 27+ YO with protection have usually already had their peak seasons.

There is obviously a limit to how long the market will support a loser. Look at how long Oilers fans have stayed with a bad team. Buffalo is the poster child for avoiding a rebuild. Through a combination of bad luck and bad decisions their rebuild just keeps on failing. OTOH you slough off successful rebuilds as being the result of big market advantages. I think your comparison is bad execution to good execution. Do it wrong and it won't work. Seeing continuing progress year after year is key, IMO. There will be ups and downs along the way but I think fans will stay as long as they can see the team generally going in the right direction.

I think that, just as there is a limit to how long fans will support a perennial loser, there is a limit to how long fans will support mediocrity. Making the PO only to be easily brushed aside in the 1st rd gets old pretty fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For me it's the same thing that I got excited about in 2012 when the team came back - getting the opportunity to watch the best hockey in the world while having a home town team to cheer for

Sometimes the enjoyment is in the journey rather than the destination. I'm always excited to go fishing... it's more fun when I catch a bunch, but it's still awesome when I don't. I hunt elk with a bow, which has a success rate of less than 10% but I look forward to being in the woods every September

The really big hockey fans are the ones who share your excitement to simply be able to watch the best hockey in the world. I love hockey but am more oriented to the cheering for the home town team.

Not sure it is what you intended but - the excitement of the journey rather than the destination is the excitement of following the building of a roster. Even if you never arrive at your destination you keep moving.

Jets were on that journey but they stopped halfway there and never left the coffee shop. I want to see them back on the road, even if they have to back up a bit and try another route.

Right now, I don't know how to go about that. We may just not be able to move forward right now. More patience may be mandatory. Or maybe we need to get lucky at the draft and have some later drafted players exceed their draft positions.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The really big hockey fans are the ones who share your excitement to simply be able to watch the best hockey in the world. I love hockey but am more oriented to the cheering for the home town team.

Not sure it is what you intended but - the excitement of the journey rather than the destination is the excitement of following the building of a roster. Even if you never arrive at your destination you keep moving.

Jets were on that journey but they stopped halfway there and never left the coffee shop. I want to see them back on the road, even if they have to back up a bit and try another route.

Right now, I don't know how to go about that. We may just not be able to move forward right now. More patience may be mandatory. Or maybe we need to get lucky at the draft and have some later drafted players exceed their draft positions.
I wonder if the enthusiasm for a rebuild is higher among dedicated fans who follow the details moreso than a lot of the ticket holders that shell out to attend 41 or less home games and aren't that enthusiastic about watching them lose often.

I would also caution about the potential for a spiral that is hard to get out of, like Anaheim and Buffalo and a few other teams. The Jets might be even harder to rebuild with all of the built-in constraints. Can they really afford 5-6 years of losing / mediocrity and still retain their best players that are in their prime years, or will it become a sinking ship with really negative vibes?

I'm much more inclined to take a blended path and rely on astute cap management and smart trades and good "window management". I think Chevy's recent performance has been encouraging on a number of fronts. He now needs a couple of unexpectedly good outcomes from draft picks and/or trades. Any top contender has to have good fortune mixed in with good management.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Have to wonder what is left of his shot at this point with all the back and shoulder injuries.
who cares. the fact anyone is talking about this turd and wanting him back on the Jets is shocking.

he's 100% a bust
emotionally unstable, entitled, and locker room cancer
physically he's a disaster , hasn't played a full season in the last 6 years in a row.
oh yeah, he hated it here and demanded a trade.

fuzzy warm memories of year one and year two belong in some nostalgia"remebering Pate" thread..., not "lets bring him back" discussion.

I never never never never never never never never never never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want to see him anywhere NEAR the jets locker room again. and anyone who does? Isn't thinking about anything but thier own feelings of nostalgia.....and therefore aren't worth having a grownup discussion with.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
who cares. the fact anyone is talking about this turd and wanting him back on the Jets is shocking.

he's 100% a bust
emotionally unstable, entitled, and locker room cancer
physically he's a disaster , hasn't played a full season in the last 6 years in a row.
oh yeah, he hated it here and demanded a trade.

fuzzy warm memories of year one and year two belong in some nostalgia"remebering Pate" thread..., not "lets bring him back" discussion.

I never never never never never never never never never never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want to see him anywhere NEAR the jets locker room again. and anyone who does? Isn't thinking about anything but thier own feelings of nostalgia.....and therefore aren't worth having a grownup discussion with.
I have a hard time rationalizing how the Jets would be a worse team adding back Laine, seems like you may be the one getting clouded by feelings

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So Patrik Laine is exiting the Players Assistance Program. I hope this mean Cheveldayoff will pull the trigger and acquire him. I am a huge fan of his from his time here and felt he was done wrong by Blake Wheeler. I feel the Jets making a move to acquire him will increase our chances to re-sign Nik Ehlers since they were good friends. If WInnipeg is in win-now mode, they need to make a move as long as the price isn't too hefty.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is all an interesting discussion. As frustrating as it can be at times we really aren't operating all that differently from comparable markets. Teams like Minny, the Preds, Islanders etc are continuing to make moves to stay in the playoff picture and get in. Heck even many big markets like Philly are refusing to scortch earth tank.

I wonder if we might be seeing a bit of a paradigm shift. The scorched earth tanks haven't really been working out lately. Maybe most of the league is moving towards trying to compete but if your bad your bad and let the chips fall where they will system.

How bad are we going to be in 3-4 years when Helle and Scheifele can no longer carry us? If our current batch of prospects land on the high side of the probability range we might be about the same as we are now. If not, we will be a lottery team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder if the enthusiasm for a rebuild is higher among dedicated fans who follow the details moreso than a lot of the ticket holders that shell out to attend 41 or less home games and aren't that enthusiastic about watching them lose often.

I would also caution about the potential for a spiral that is hard to get out of, like Anaheim and Buffalo and a few other teams. The Jets might be even harder to rebuild with all of the built-in constraints. Can they really afford 5-6 years of losing / mediocrity and still retain their best players that are in their prime years, or will it become a sinking ship with really negative vibes?

I'm much more inclined to take a blended path and rely on astute cap management and smart trades and good "window management". I think Chevy's recent performance has been encouraging on a number of fronts. He now needs a couple of unexpectedly good outcomes from draft picks and/or trades. Any top contender has to have good fortune mixed in with good management.

Yes, I think Chevy is tiptoeing through the minefield pretty well overall. But I also think we are currently stuck in mediocrity. 4th in the league last season is better than mediocre but I think Jets overachieved a bit last year. The PO performance underlined that. Even if all else is equal, we can expect less quality goaltending.

Getting above mediocrity will require some unexpectedly good outcomes. Getting below it will come with just a little time if nothing changes. A good resolution to the Mgro situation could help.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I have a hard time rationalizing how the Jets would be a worse team adding back Laine, seems like you may be the one getting clouded by feelings

ok lets look at facts. just facts. no emotions....

1. Kid is injured all the time. hasn't completed a season in 6 years.
2. Kid already was here, was called out for not trying hard enough and not committing to the program, the coach, and his teammates.......and then Demanded to be traded publicly in the media.
3. last team he was on, The CBJ, Coach called him cancer, benched him often, demoted him down the lineup....
4 His production has fallen off a cliff..
5. he has been doing god knows what god knows where for months...what is his fitness? (already before this a constant concern from hockey training staff he has worked with) how game ready is he?
6. we have what/ a doctor saying "he's good to play" but we don't know anything...is he no longer cancer? has he forsaken his entitlement? is he suddenly 100% a different person who will actually commit and do the work? nobody knows...but suddenly you are 100% sure he's completely turned his life around?

so to sum up.
THE FACTS point to an oft injured entitled cancerous player with a declining skillset, and a bad attitude....... on a large 8.5 mil contract.....who even his last coach felt was undeserving of icetime and top line teammates..... A young superstar who has lifted his team all the way to 8th place in his division 3 out of 4 years and losing records 4 out of 4 years?

You have a fuzzy warm feeling because he was OK here for the first 2 years, and we drafted him.

And you claim I'm letting feelings get in the way? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Corporate sales do need to improve, yes, but I think the city wants to watch a winner, or at least a team that wins more often than not. I don't necessarily agree it's in relation to expectations. Certainly the economy plays a big factor but we saw at the end of the year that attendance improved when the playoffs were approaching and the team was involved.

I think there are maybe 4 or 5 teams that are purposely bad and the rest are trying to be as competitive as possible. I agree the tank method is too risky for most markets to bear. In the end, a lot of these markets have multiple sports teams competing for fans and they want to seem relevant.

My feeling on the league right now is that you either need to be a big/desirable market, or draft a superstar player to he consistently competitive at a "this team could go all the way" kind of level, and since we know Winnipeg isn't going to be the former, they need to get extremely lucky with a superstar. Otherwise you might see the occasional trip to the WCF but getting there consistently is going to be almost impossible. Seems negative, I know, but it feels like that's the way of the league right now.

I think the otherwise is a bit optimistic at reaching an occasional WCF. Winning an occasional series is probably more like it.

Barring that superstar (or 2) really great depth is the next best bet I think. Better than what we had last year, which we seemed to think was pretty good but turned out to be a little less than we thought. Getting a second line that could push the Lowry line back down to the 3rd line would be a start.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, I think Chevy is tiptoeing through the minefield pretty well overall. But I also think we are currently stuck in mediocrity. 4th in the league last season is better than mediocre but I think Jets overachieved a bit last year. The PO performance underlined that. Even if all else is equal, we can expect less quality goaltending.

Getting above mediocrity will require some unexpectedly good outcomes. Getting below it will come with just a little time if nothing changes. A good resolution to the Mgro situation could help.
I think that if Chevy can get a really good return on McGroarty that fills an important gap, and Lambert and Salomonsson continue on their trajectory well above their draft positions, the Jets will be in a stronger position. I also think that Barlow has a chance to really "pop" as a prospect if he has a good summer of training and has an injury-free season. He's the type of forceful and rugged winger with v good scoring ability that can really complement a top-6 and juice a PP.

I would also reiterate how much additional value the Jets could probably get just by flipping Connor and Ehlers as Scheifele's LW. That one switch would likely compensate for a bit of a dip in goaltending.

The downside of a rebuild is that so many of them go off the rails because it's very tough to thread the needle in terms of optimizing competitive windows and a miss on a top-end draft pick basically torpedoes the entire plan. I don't think it's a more probable way to the top than the sort of strategy that Chevy has pursued, banking on some unexpected leaps by prospects and a good trade or two.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
lol I didn't even mention he's "recovering" from shoulder surgery, so nobody even knows how well he can shoot or play, and has again, publicly, demanded a trade, between being cleared from the Player Assistance Program merely days ago......, restating his trade demands before he's even touched a sheet of ice again.

LOLOLOLOLOLOOL

I'm glad you aren't the jets GM.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

2. Kid already was here, was called out for not trying hard enough and not committing to the program, the coach, and his teammates.......and then Demanded to be traded publicly in the media.
3. last team he was on, The CBJ, Coach called him cancer, benched him often, demoted him down the lineup....
5. he has been doing god knows what god knows where for months...what is his fitness? (already before this a constant concern from hockey training staff he has worked with) how game ready is he?
6. we have what/ a doctor saying "he's good to play" but we don't know anything...is he no longer cancer? has he forsaken his entitlement? is he suddenly 100% a different person who will actually commit and do the work? nobody knows...but suddenly you are 100% sure he's completely turned his life around?

so to sum up.
THE FACTS point to an oft injured entitled cancerous player with a declining skillset, and a bad attitude....... on a large 8.5 mil contract.....who even his last coach felt was undeserving of icetime and top line teammates..... A young superstar who has lifted his team all the way to 8th place in his division 3 out of 4 years and losing records 4 out of 4 years?

You have a fuzzy warm feeling because he was OK here for the first 2 years, and we drafted him.

I don't think you really know what facts are

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
I think the otherwise is a bit optimistic at reaching an occasional WCF. Winning an occasional series is probably more like it.

Barring that superstar (or 2) really great depth is the next best bet I think. Better than what we had last year, which we seemed to think was pretty good but turned out to be a little less than we thought. Getting a second line that could push the Lowry line back down to the 3rd line would be a start.

The Jets don't need a second line. They need a first line that can match up against other teams first lines so Lowrys line doesn't have to.

Reactions: hn777 and ekotyluk

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

so to sum up.

1. Mario Lemieux was injured his entire career. He was still the 2nd best forward of all time.

2. Patrik Laine never demanded a trade publicly in the media. His agent requested the trade. I don't blame him either. Blake Wheeler the captain and locker room leader was most likely treating him terribly. Even Blake Wheeler stated he wished he had treated Laine better.

3. CBJ coach nor any coach has called Patrik Laine a cancer. You claim that as a fact, no emotion... PROVIDE A SOURCE! Do not even ATTEMPT to tiptoe it, provide a source where the coach refers to Patrik Laine as a "cancer", not some other term.

4. 108 points in 111 games over 2021-23 is NOT falling off of a cliff or are basing this on 18 games last year?

5. Speculating what Patrik Laine has been doing while in the players assistance program is NOT facts!

6. More speculation... or better yet emotion... not facts.

Joe Sakic was the best player on the Quebec Nordiques having the luxury of the Peter & Anton Stastny along with Michel Goulet, followed by Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan, yet the Nordiques were at or near the bottom of the NHL for 4 straight years. Did that define him?

You are 100% guilty of letting your feelings get in the way.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
1. Mario Lemieux was injured his entire career. He was still the 2nd best forward of all time.

2. Patrik Laine never demanded a trade publicly in the media. His agent requested the trade...

3. CBJ coach nor any coach has called Patrik Laine a cancer. You claim that as a fact, no emotion... PROVIDE A SOURCE! Do not even ATTEMPT to tiptoe it, provide a source where the coach refers to Patrik Laine as a "cancer", not some other term.

4. 108 points in 111 games over 2021-23 is NOT falling off of a cliff or are basing this on 18 games last year?

5. Speculating what Patrik Laine has been doing while in the players assistance program is NOT facts!

6. More speculation... or better yet emotion... not facts.

Joe Sakic was the best player on the Quebec Nordiques having the luxury of the Peter & Anton Stastny along with Michel Goulet, followed by Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan, yet the Nordiques were at or near the bottom of the NHL for 4 straight years. Did that define him?

You are 100% guilty of letting your feelings get in the way.
When Patrik Laine is the second best fwd of all time you can compare him to Mario. What a reach.

The agent works for the player. He isn't requesting a trade from the team if its not blessed from the player.

He's oft-injured. He misses time every year and is currently recovering with a big cap hit.

I agree with attacking his mental health, off ice tragedy, and the team cancer stuff is off base (unless there's a quote from the coach of the latter). Unless you're McDavid you probably aren't pushing those CBJ teams near top of the standings. they're a terrible team top to bottom, with bad management and coaching. he did have a good middle two years with CBJ as you noted too

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
When Patrik Laine is the second best fwd of all time you can compare him to Mario. What a reach.

The agent works for the player. He isn't requesting a trade from the team if its not blessed from the player.

He's oft-injured. He misses time every year and is currently recovering with a big cap hit.

I agree with attacking his mental health, off ice tragedy, and the team cancer stuff is off base (unless there's a quote from the coach of the latter). Unless you're McDavid you probably aren't pushing those CBJ teams near top of the standings. they're a terrible team top to bottom, with bad management and coaching. he did have a good middle two years with CBJ as you noted too

The point was, that injury history has no bearing on the player itself. Rick Tocchet was injured frequently throughout his career and still played in over 1100 games through 18 seasons.

He stated that Patrik Laine publicly demanded a trade to the media. Patrik Laine never demanded a trade through the media. There is a difference between the player making the demands publicly and the agent.

I personally want a salary retained Patrik Laine knowing that he has a reputation for defensive deficiences which I don't even know if they have improved since leaving Winnipeg. I do remember Patrik Laine as the most electifying player offensively in 2.0 history.

I wish Patrik Laine started his career with Rick Bowness behind the bench and not Paul Maurice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad