Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Ehlers is only worth so much. No one on the Canes has bad defensive numbers. And since when is wanting to play center a bad thing? We need a number 2. Ehlers is also a perimeter player who historically disappeares in the playoffs. It is not like we are moving a league top winger.
Ehlers is more of a perimeter guy and he has not done well in the playoffs.

He is also a top 10 transition forward in the NHL and I feel like that probably isn't factored in enough.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers is only worth so much. No one on the Canes has bad defensive numbers. And since when is wanting to play center a bad thing? We need a number 2. Ehlers is also a perimeter player who historically disappeares in the playoffs. It is not like we are moving a league top winger.
Wanting to play center is fine...if you can actually play the position.
He's got 5 seasons in the league, you'd think he would have made it as center by now.
Do you actually think Necas could be our 2C this upcoming season?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

He is also a top 10 transition forward in the NHL and I feel like that probably isn't factored in enough.

It would be by Carolina’s GM and that could explain why they are rumoured to be in pursuit.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As of July 1 2024, this player is now available to be signed as a free agent:

Bryan Little

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was asked on Sunday at the hockey for all centre the question of retiring Little as a Jet came up.

“I hope so. We’ll get a chance to talk to Bryan at some point here. He’s a special part of our organization and always will be.”

So there is potential of Little signing a one-day contract and retiring as a Jet.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

Bryan Little

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was asked on Sunday at the hockey for all centre the question of retiring Little as a Jet came up.

“I hope so. We’ll get a chance to talk to Bryan at some point here. He’s a special part of our organization and always will be.”

So there is potential of Little signing a one-day contract and retiring as a Jet.
It would make sense to have him be this year's Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame inductee. First Jets 2.0 player to receive that honour.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think they will go into the season with Ehlers unsigned the Andrew Ladd situation is probably the closest comparable but that team wasn't good and it was pretty obvious that they would be selling come deadline. If I had to guess the list with Nik goes something like.

Plan A- Extension
Plan B - Trade for RHD
Plan C - Trade for Forward
Plan D - Go into season as is

I'm sure Chevy is still working on plan A while also talking plans B/C to see what's available.

I feel like Plan B and C got put on hold after the draft / free agency period ended. Maybe they get dusted off after the season starts back up, but I'd be surprised if we see anything happen before camp besides Perfetti and Heinola extensions.

I'm not one of the "Chevel-day-off!" guys, but the league as a whole shuts down from now until training camp.

If I had to handicap it for fun, I'd give a 50% chance of an extension, 30% of an in-season trade and 20% of an "own rental".

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
if both ehlers and necas are in the 7M+ range (& willing to sign here) id rather give ehlers that than necas

last 3 years player (team)
necas
5v5 +/-: +8 (+110)
xGF%: 53% (57%)
0.69 overall ppg, 1.86 5v5 pts/60

ehlers:
5v5 +/-: +56 (+62)
xGF%: 54% (51%)
0.81 overall ppg, 2.63 5v5 pts/60

not like necas is playing with crappy players either, and is on a team that scores a lot more than the Jets over that same timeframe. if necas was some illustrious 2c canes probably would have played him there id think rather than the likes of staal, stastny, kotaniemi?? bunch of mid players at this stage. also just gut feel, he doesn't seem like the play-style of centers the Jets typically covet.

i would not be surprised if ehlers is still on the roster to start the year. the Jets seldom trade out of their UFA-1s the off-season prior. fwds like ladd, copp, frolik, and dmen like buff, demelo, dillon, myers, chiarot all were on the roster to start their respective contract years. if the Jets are out of it at the tdl & there's no extension, yeah they'll move him.
I think there are 2 reasons I'd pick Necas over Ehlers: Age, and durability.

Reactions: ps241 and Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think there are 2 reasons I'd pick Necas over Ehlers: Age, and durability.
He's also 6'2... I don't think that matters much in terms of style of play since it sounds like he's a soft perimeter player, but it might play into the durability point

Reactions: Jet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wanting to play center is fine...if you can actually play the position.
He's got 5 seasons in the league, you'd think he would have made it as center by now.
Do you actually think Necas could be our 2C this upcoming season?
Thy guy thinks he can play center and feels he hasn’t been given the opportunity to prove it. Perfetti is going into his 4th season in the league. Do you think he feels like he has been given the opportunity to show he can handle a top 6 center role?

Reactions: SCP Guy

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Thy guy thinks he can play center and feels he hasn’t been given the opportunity to prove it. Perfetti is going into his 4th season in the league. Do you think he feels like he has been given the opportunity to show he can handle a top 6 center role?
At least they tried him at center and I expect they will this year as well.
Do you think Necas is capable of being our 2C this season?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

That’s a great description of him for sure.
He’d be dynamic with the Oilers

jiho

Apr 30, 2012

Bryan Little

I heard Little wants a one day contract but Chevy wants no longer than 6 houirs

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That’s a great description of him for sure.
He’d be dynamic with the Oilers
He's dynamic for us. There is a reason every line that he plays on scores more goals with him on it.

I hear about predictability and turnovers in the ozone... like count how many turnovers McDavid had 3rd period alone against Florida in the series. Good players that have the puck more turn it over more.

His hockey sense struggles to keep up some nights, but even those nights he is a breakout machine that can skate it out of trouble.

We have years to get a guage on what his value is and how much he contributes to the team's goals for.

Any of these stylistic criticisms are being overstated if our team improves whenever he is on the ice he improves whoever he plays with.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Bryan Little

Man it would be nice to have a ceremony for him with some of the other original Jets/Thrasher players: Ladd, Wheeler and Buff. I wish Bryan Little had retired a Jet under better circumstances, but it's great that he'll get his moment.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He's dynamic for us. There is a reason every line that he plays on scores more goals with him on it.

I hear about predictability and turnovers in the ozone... like count how many turnovers McDavid had 3rd period alone against Florida in the series. Good players that have the puck more turn it over more.

His hockey sense struggles to keep up some nights, but even those nights he is a breakout machine that can skate it out of trouble.

We have years to get a guage on what his value is and how much he contributes to the team's goals for.

Any of these stylistic criticisms are being overstated if our team improves whenever he is on the ice he improves whoever he plays with.
At some point though that has to parlay into wins and results.

There's a lot to love about Nik Ehlers but when the game really matters the results are not there.

That's doesn't make him a bad or undesirable player, but it is a consideration.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At some point though that has to parlay into wins and results.

There's a lot to love about Nik Ehlers but when the game really matters the results are not there.

That's doesn't make him a bad or undesirable player, but it is a consideration.

So ..... downgrade your evaluation of the player because he can't singlehandedly win big games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad