Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
With Necas filing for arbitration, it seems unlikely that Winnipeg will be his final destination. I doubt Chevy would want to deal with an arbitration and a player that likely forces his way out of Winnipeg. I wonder about a 3-team deal along the lines of:

To CAR: Ehlers
To CBJ: Necas (GM Waddell gets him back)
To WPG: Johnson (or Jiricek or Chinakhov + prospect)

If the Jets trade Ehlers, Carolina seems the most logical destination but their main trade chip (Necas) might not be a good fit for the Jets.
couldn't they still talk to him and get a contract done before his arbitration hearing? also if the rumor is true necas told cbj that he wouldn't extend and nixed a deal they had at the draft

Reactions: Aries56

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
With Necas filing for arbitration, it seems unlikely that Winnipeg will be his final destination. I doubt Chevy would want to deal with an arbitration and a player that likely forces his way out of Winnipeg. I wonder about a 3-team deal along the lines of:

If the Jets trade Ehlers, Carolina seems the most logical destination but their main trade chip (Necas) might not be a good fit for the Jets.
Just because he files doesn't mean it needs to get there

At this point, I'm sure that the Canes are aware of his asks and if they want to deal him, they'll disclose them to Chevy. If he trades for him, I'm sure it's because he's confident he can sign him

Also, since he's and RFA, Chevy can be in direct contact with him.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

At this point, I'm sure that the Canes are aware of his asks and if they want to deal him, they'll disclose them to Chevy. If he trades for him, I'm sure it's because he's confident he can sign him

I think if they did actually get a deal done both gm's would want a contract in place before they completed it

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I like the idea.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Terrible for WPG.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I doubt Necas signs long term with the Canes without strong trade protection. He wouldn't want to sign long term and then get traded somewhere he'd like to avoid. At this stage, he kind of controls his destination because he doesn't need to agree to a long term deal unless it's where he wants to play. Generally, players would rather not play in WPG, if they can avoid it.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Jets might have permission to speak to Necas and negotiate role / contract before committing to a trade. He's not American, might be more open to signing here. :sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I doubt Necas signs long term with the Canes without strong trade protection. He wouldn't want to sign long term and then get traded somewhere he'd like to avoid. At this stage, he kind of controls his destination because he doesn't need to agree to a long term deal unless it's where he wants to play. Generally, players would rather not play in WPG, if they can avoid it.

I am hoping Necas lets Winnipeg/Carolina know that he has no intention of signing a longer term deal in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Aries56

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

How about this gets expanded out a bit, to include McGroarty and get a little more value back for the Jets.

To Carolina: Ehlers (with long term extension)
To Columbus: Nexas (with long term extension) and McGroarty
To Jets: Kent Johnson and one of Jiricek/Mateychuk/Ceulemans

End result for the Jets is we lose Ehlers, but if he is on his way out this needs to be dealt with. McGroarty problem solved, and we get a very skilled young forward with some NHL experience and a future top 4 (maybe even top pairing) young defenseman.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Would be fun to see Chevy take this rookie GM's lunch money here. Pressure is on for the canes after losing so many big pieces this offseason
Hmm. Carolina's nine-year playoff drought ending and Tulsky being promoted within their organisation (first to a director role and then to assistant GM) line up pretty nicely. They have contended for a while now, won seven playoff series in the last six seasons, and still have a top 5 prospect pool in the entire league.

He's the Connor Bedard of rookie GMs: technically still a rookie, but already lightyears ahead most of his competition. And I don't like the thought of Chevy dealing with him at all. And as for trading Ehlers to the Canes, that's about as Tulsky move as it gets: find another GM about to do something stupid, offer "help", reap the rewards.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What's the health of Chytil like in NY?

Ehlers extended for Chytil and Kakko? Feels like we need to add, but McGroarty would be too much.

Would you rather have Kakko or Laine as our big bodied right winger?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What's the health of Chytil like in NY?

Ehlers extended for Chytil and Kakko? Feels like we need to add, but McGroarty would be too much.

Would you rather have Kakko or Laine as our big bodied right winger?
Neither. None of the players you mentioned are good enough to fill Nik's shoes - Kakko has done f*** all in some very generous deployment next to Panarin and co., Chytil may or may not be fit to play hockey, and Laine doesn't do anything that you'd want from an Ehlers replacement (and may not be healthy either).

If there was a RW who I'd absolutely love to see us get, it would be Alex Tuch. Since everyone else is taking the Sabres to the cleaners, I'd be thrilled to see us join in and get an actual top 6 RW with a versatile set of skills. He's a top 30 point producer at 5v5 across the last three seasons, too. That's a guy who you could talk about as an adequate Ehlers replacement, and if he'd be open to re-signing, he's also 110% worth sending Rutger over in a trade.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Neither. None of the players you mentioned are good enough to fill Nik's shoes - Kakko has done f*** all in some very generous deployment next to Panarin and co., Chytil may or may not be fit to play hockey, and Laine doesn't do anything that you'd want from an Ehlers replacement (and may not be healthy either).

If there was a RW who I'd absolutely love to see us get, it would be Alex Tuch. Since everyone else is taking the Sabres to the cleaners, I'd be thrilled to see us join in and get an actual top 6 RW with a versatile set of skills. He's a top 30 point producer at 5v5 across the last three seasons, too. That's a guy who you could talk about as an adequate Ehlers replacement, and if he'd be open to re-signing, he's also 110% worth sending Rutger over in a trade.
I don't think we can expect to get a similar player to Ehlers back in a trade. We should be getting younger and cheaper. Then develop into Ehlers. Despite Buffalo's abomination this week, I don't think it's reasonable to target Tuch.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

He can't re-sign, he has 2 years remaining on his deal.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think if a deal around necas/ehlers does happen both teams will be talking extension with the players before it would be completed
That could be the delay. Trying to extend not one but two players is complicated

I think with Necas (pure guess) he's probably prioritizing role, playing time, and contract over location.

Can the Jets convince him he's a key player in their plans? That might be the key to this.

Reactions: Aries56 and Buffdog

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He can't re-sign, he has 2 years remaining on his deal.
Correct, but that would be a discussion for the following off-season. That said, pulling him would be extremely difficult - for all the reasons we'd want him, Buffalo wants him too.
I don't think we can expect to get a similar player to Ehlers back in a trade. We should be getting younger and cheaper. Then develop into Ehlers. Despite Buffalo's abomination this week, I don't think it's reasonable to target Tuch.
Agreed on Buffalo not trading Tuch, hard disagree on developing the replacement. We have nobody who is projected to become even half the player Ehlers is. I'm not sure we can get that prospect in a trade either, although we did just see a blue chip prospect get moved for a faster and shittier Lowry. Unless we intend to go into next season without a single good offensive line, we're going to need a direct replacement.

Reactions: hn777

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
So which is it? Just to know, moving forward

All I'm asking for is consistency

If stats are all knowing, then Ehlers = Necas

If not, then don't use them alone to prove that Ehlers/Schief > Connor/Schief

Can't have your cake and eat it too

Thanks for making my point for me. I love it when you guys do that

lol what even

Stats are not "all knowing", no one thinks that or says that, that's something you say to make yourself feel better about holding opinions that are contrary to evidence

No one uses "one single all-knowing stat" to "prove" that ehlers with schief is better than connor with schief. A million stats, context, eye-test and everything else demonstrate that ehlers with schief is better than connor with shief.

Saying ehlers = necas "because xg%" is an egregious misuse of stats that you were corrected on rightly

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
lol what even

Stats are not "all knowing", no one thinks that or says that, that's something you say to make yourself feel better about holding opinions that are contrary to evidence

No one uses "one single all-knowing stat" to "prove" that ehlers with schief is better than connor with schief. A million stats, context, eye-test and everything else demonstrate that ehlers with schief is better than connor with shief.

Saying ehlers = necas "because xg%" is an egregious misuse of stats that you were corrected on rightly
You sound like me now. It's nice that my presence on this board has brought so many people (like you) around to my way of thinking

I'll be eagerly waiting for you to point this out to the Statsnerds when they use one stat to form their opinions. I'll tag you in a post so you can do so

BTW, almost all of thr "pro Ehelrs on the first line" guys were quoting xGF% almost exclusively as their meteric for ESV "dominating" and CSV "getting caved". There was some mention of GF% but that quieted down when it was pointed out that Connor and Schief are net even at 5v5. Nice try on the gaslighting tho

• Haha
Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You sound like me now. It's nice that my presence on this board has brought so many people (like you) around to my way of thinking

I'll be eagerly waiting for you to point this out to the Statsnerds when they use one stat to form their opinions. I'll tag you in a post so you can do so

BTW, almost all of thr "pro Ehelrs on the first line" guys were quoting xGF% almost exclusively as their meteric for ESV "dominating" and CSV "getting caved". There was some mention of GF% but that quieted down when it was pointed out that Connor and Schief are net even at 5v5. Nice try on the gaslighting tho
Connor-Scheifele were even at 5v5 if you include Ehlers in their line-mate mix, which is the premise of folks with the "ehlers top line" posts.

w/o Ehlers on the top-line: they're negative this year, last year, year before that, and the year before that.

whoever pointed out Connor-Scheifele are even at 5v5 probably purposefully excluded that includes time with Ehlers on the other Wing in order to big-up CS together. when really, with Ehlers' inclusion they're a positive line.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets might have permission to speak to Necas and negotiate role / contract before committing to a trade. He's not American, might be more open to signing here. :sarcasm:
i will respect the sarcasm tag lol. but will use this as a jumping off point - not specifically directed at you

but imo if necas wants top line, center, pp1 etc like apparently was being claimed early in the off-season, it likely isn't happening here.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Connor-Scheifele were even at 5v5 if you include Ehlers in their line-mate mix, which is the premise of folks with the "ehlers top line" posts.

w/o Ehlers on the top-line: they're negative this year, last year, year before that, and the year before that.

whoever pointed out Connor-Scheifele are even at 5v5 probably purposefully excluded that includes time with Ehlers on the other Wing in order to big-up CS together. when really, with Ehlers' inclusion they're a positive line.
Ehlers makes everyone better

My argument was always that the org wanted him to drive the "second line" vs lesser matchups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad