Confirmed with Link: Bobby Brink Signs Two Year Contract - $1.5M AAV

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
At the end of last season, I said I was going to do a write up of Brink and Foester -- I never got around to Brink, so I figured I would do it now. I also want to add that I'm a big Brink supporter, I think he could be a 60-70 point player under the right conditions.

Thru the first quarter of the season, Brink was on pace for ~50ish points, and was putting up very decent underlying numbers. He played very well with Farabee and Cates in most of those games. However, he started to bounce around the lineup, loosing Tort's trust in the process. For the first 30 games he was averaging around 14-15min per game, but then dropped to around 12 for the next 15ish, then subsequently sent to the AHL (put up 13points in 13 games played). But even through the first half of the season, Brink was still pacing for ~40 points, and putting up very good tracking numbers.

When he made his way back up to the big club, he was a noticeably different player than the beginning of the year. His overall underlying metrics took a nose dive, as did his production numbers. Ultimately he finished up with a projected 33 points over 82 games. There are some valid excuses to his degradation in play including returning from injury, 'tough love' from the coach, and first time playing this long of a season.... But even if I want to attribute some his late-season poor performances to the issues listed above, I still believe that Brink is responsible for his on-ice performances. He needs to be better when his number is called.

However, the one thing that stands out with Brink is his offensive ability with puck on stick. Below are his tracking numbers from the 23-24 season. The darker the blue, the higher percentile you are in that particular category. As you can see, he was very good in chance creation across the board.

View attachment 893619
Are the bad transition numbers becauae of his skating or was pretty much the whole team terrible because of Torta "style".

I didn't want enough this year to know.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Are the bad transition numbers becauae of his skating or was pretty much the whole team terrible because of Torta "style".

I didn't want enough this year to know.
The Flyers were a very good rush team this year, feasting on NZ turnovers. They converted a lot of NZ turnovers into chances for. But in terms of breaking out of their own zone, they were poor. They didn't have a lot of controlled exits, which makes attacking the NZ difficult. That's a system design, so that's on Torts.

In terms of carries/60 (how many times he skated the puck into the O-zone/60min) Brink was 3rd on the team behind Tip and Farabee. More than 50% of his entries were from carrying the puck into the zone. However, he was terrible at turning those carries into chances, (11th of 13 forwards tracked). But in general, a diminutive forward who isn't a fast skater is going to have issues skating the puck into the zone. I think he can get better at passing the puck into the zone, gaining entries in that way.

And maybe this is what limits his ability to produce points at a high level in the NHL, but I would give him every opportunity to figure it out because he's one of the more mature offensive players on this team.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
when he was playing with Farabee and he(Brink) had possession of the puck in the O zone it was fun watching Farabee trying to get open for his passes :nod:

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
At the end of last season, I said I was going to do a write up of Brink and Foester -- I never got around to Brink, so I figured I would do it now. I also want to add that I'm a big Brink supporter, I think he could be a 60-70 point player under the right conditions.

Thru the first quarter of the season, Brink was on pace for ~50ish points, and was putting up very decent underlying numbers. He played very well with Farabee and Cates in most of those games. However, he started to bounce around the lineup, loosing Tort's trust in the process. For the first 30 games he was averaging around 14-15min per game, but then dropped to around 12 for the next 15ish, then subsequently sent to the AHL (put up 13points in 13 games played). But even through the first half of the season, Brink was still pacing for ~40 points, and putting up very good tracking numbers.

When he made his way back up to the big club, he was a noticeably different player than the beginning of the year. His overall underlying metrics took a nose dive, as did his production numbers. Ultimately he finished up with a projected 33 points over 82 games. There are some valid excuses to his degradation in play including returning from injury, 'tough love' from the coach, and first time playing this long of a season.... But even if I want to attribute some his late-season poor performances to the issues listed above, I still believe that Brink is responsible for his on-ice performances. He needs to be better when his number is called.

However, the one thing that stands out with Brink is his offensive ability with puck on stick. Below are his tracking numbers from the 23-24 season. The darker the blue, the higher percentile you are in that particular category. As you can see, he was very good in chance creation across the board.

View attachment 893619
Point shot setups/60.... this f***ing team.... LOL

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers were a very good rush team this year, feasting on NZ turnovers. They converted a lot of NZ turnovers into chances for. But in terms of breaking out of their own zone, they were poor. They didn't have a lot of controlled exits, which makes attacking the NZ difficult. That's a system design, so that's on Torts.

In terms of carries/60 (how many times he skated the puck into the O-zone/60min) Brink was 3rd on the team behind Tip and Farabee. More than 50% of his entries were from carrying the puck into the zone. However, he was terrible at turning those carries into chances, (11th of 13 forwards tracked). But in general, a diminutive forward who isn't a fast skater is going to have issues skating the puck into the zone. I think he can get better at passing the puck into the zone, gaining entries in that way.

And maybe this is what limits his ability to produce points at a high level in the NHL, but I would give him every opportunity to figure it out because he's one of the more mature offensive players on this team.
I think you have to be more patient with good but not great talents.
Brink has improved his skating, but could still improve further.
He's still learning to deal with smaller windows and more physical play.

He also needs better players around him, he's not someone who's going to control play and pace by himself, rather, he's more a facilitator, who needs linemates who can get in position to make plays and do something with the puck when he finds them.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
hes-back.gif

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad