Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not high in the likelihood of happening, but regarding our two biggest trade chips Ehlers and McGroarty, I wonder about the option of moving both for 2025 1st round picks, and then backfilling them by a combo of our own prospects (Lambert), and looking to use the cap space to get a useful player on an expiring deal from a team looking to move cap. (I haven't looked at all the teams though that are looking to move Cap to see what's available). Or players that seem to be rumored to be available like Frost and Farabee from the Flyers.

If we could get the Sabres 2025 1st for Ehlers, and the Jackets 2025 1st for McGroarty, those picks could turn out very well (both teams rumored to be interested). Lambert could likely find a role on the Jets in 2024, and the Jets could try and acquire Frost or Farabee to add to the lineup (as an example).
If you would have presented me this option before FA I would have said no shot.

However, after our misses I am more convinced a mini reload is the best play, here.

I'd be all for trading Ehlers and McGroarty for a couple of firsts, and even trying to flip Iafallo for a 2nd.

From there, you go into the season with some youth and some cap space.

Bring up Heinola, Lambo and Chibby, and give the team until Christmas to see if they can compete.

If not, you'll have a substantial amount of cap space to try and fill some holes, and you'll be able to leverage those picks to get players you need, or keep them and restock the cupboards a bit.

True, it is. But Cole seems to get classified as a slow player when his burst data shows he's well above average in terms of speed. He definitely is an awkward looking skater but he gets to where he needs to be when he needs to be

Also imo our issue with team speed isn't so much skating speed its processing and playing speed most notably among many of our defenders. Cole is one of the fastest thinkers on the team, he actually helps with team speed, by making quick and smart decisions with the puck.
Id bet Cole comes into camp faster and more agile, too.

Reactions: Buffdog

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, if Necas is that bad defensively then my guess is he wouldn't be a good fit with our d first system. We have enough one dimensional players in the top 6.

Yea we have enough trouble selling our top line on committing to the system "full time", last thing we need is a bigger slacker at 2nd line centre. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Two sides to every story and we have seen once highly touted prospects that struggle with the club that drafted them do much better after a change of scenery, Sam Bennet comes to mind. However, if what you are saying is true (Roslobic 2.0) then it’s a hard pass from me. I think Brind Amore and Carolina are a pretty well run club.

It isn't based on watching him play. It was pointed out to me by a few here that Car has refused his request for a C job. They have needed a 2C like we have, or even worse. The hole in their roster has held them back. But they still refuse to use him at C.

IIRC they did give him a shot there at one time and his analytics were bad too.

There is always the chance that he would be better if given another shot. There is also the sometimes beneficial change of scenery possibility. But the probability looks pretty weak. So, with us also not playing him at C he would just leave as soon as he is able. Not a risk I would be in favour of.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'd be all for trading Ehlers and McGroarty for a couple of firsts, and even trying to flip Iafallo for a 2nd.
I think ditching Ehlers and Iafallo without players coming back is a bit extreme, when you consider that we've already let Monahan and Toffoli go.

Need depth for injury replacement.

Chibrikov Scheifele Vilardi
Connor Perfetti Namestnikov
Niedereiter Lowry Appleton
Barron Lambert Kupari
Gustafson

Can Thomson Reuters help Rashevsky buy out his remaining KHL deal?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think ditching Ehlers and Iafallo without players coming back is a bit extreme, when you consider that we've already let Monahan and Toffoli go.

Need depth for injury replacement.

Chibrikov Scheifele Vilardi
Connor Perfetti Namestnikov
Niedereiter Lowry Appleton
Barron Lambert Kupari
Gustafson

Can Thomson Reuters help Rashevsky buy out his remaining KHL deal?
I like your overall thought process, but you believe that Chibrikov is ready to play 18 mins a night on the first line against other teams top players? I think he is closer to the AHL than he is to the top line at this point.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I like your overall thought process, but you believe that Chibrikov is ready to play 18 mins a night on the first line against other teams top players? I think he is closer to the AHL than he is to the top line at this point.
I think he's more nhl ready than Lambert. Lambert had better pure skill but I think Chibby processes the game better.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think he's more nhl ready than Lambert. Lambert had better pure skill but I think Chibby processes the game better.
I could agree with that, but that still doesn’t mean he is ready for 18+ mins a night on the top line.

Reactions: Jet

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A 3rd line checker for a top 10 pick guy with top line pedigree, whos been a PPG+ player at every level so far. Buffalo doing Buffalo things.
You spend a high pick on a high-potential forward, and go on to draft Zach Benson, his equally talented linemate in the following draft. Yes, I know that it should never matter in the show, but how is step 3 "trade the guy before giving him a shot"? It makes no sense.

Well, at least McLeod's guaranteed to help them. And help they will need.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You spend a high pick on a high-potential forward, and go on to draft Zach Benson, his equally talented linemate in the following draft. Yes, I know that it should never matter in the show, but how is step 3 "trade the guy before giving him a shot"? It makes no sense.

Well, at least McLeod's guaranteed to help them. And help they will need.

They are incredibly deep at his position. I figured he was on the market due to that. Not sure why they took a massive hit in value though even if it fills a need for them.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad