Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So then why not move him now and keep the cheap good young player. Perfetti is valuable because he'll give you quality top 6 results for $3.5 million over the next 2 seasons. That has significant value for a cap team.

Also If you take Chevy at his word vis a vis Ehlers then you should with Cole as well who he says stands to get a much larger role under Arniel.

I don't recall hearing anything about Cole being available.
To be fair, i don't take anyone's word in this business, so I just speculate.

I like Perfetti. But team speed is a problem.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So then why not move him now and keep the cheap good young player. Perfetti is valuable because he'll give you quality top 6 results for $3.5 million over the next 2 seasons. That has significant value for a cap team.

Also If you take Chevy at his word vis a vis Ehlers then you should with Cole as well who he says stands to get a much larger role under Arniel.

I don't recall hearing anything about Cole being available.
I really don't think Perfetti is in any trade discussions. I'm hopeful Arniel tries to maximize his potential and actually puts Cole into a play making role. I've argued it before but I'd like to see Perfetti with Schiefele and Ehlers. I'd also like to see Perfetti get more #1 PP time.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

True, it is. But Cole seems to get classified as a slow player when his burst data shows he's well above average in terms of speed. He definitely is an awkward looking skater but he gets to where he needs to be when he needs to be

Also imo our issue with team speed isn't so much skating speed its processing and playing speed most notably among many of our defenders. Cole is one of the fastest thinkers on the team, he actually helps with team speed, by making quick and smart decisions with the puck.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really don't think Perfetti is in any trade discussions. I'm hopeful Arniel tries to maximize his potential and actually puts Cole into a play making role. I've argued it before but I'd like to see Perfetti with Schiefele and Ehlers. I'd also like to see Perfetti get more #1 PP time.

Oh I don't believe he's on the market at all. The Jets desperately need young/cheap talent and he's the best they have. Cole was trusted more under Arniel then he was under Bones so I expect he will see a large role. I also agree that he needs to be on unit one. Now that we don't have Monohan we need him there as our first unit was far more impactful with him on it then with him not on it.

As for role, I'd like to continue to see him being used as a dual threat. He can score and pass at a high level, I'd like to see him developed as a multifaceted offensive player. I personally like him with everyone except Ehelers. I think both like to play the same role on the ice and clash a bit.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
True, it is. But Cole seems to get classified as a slow player when his burst data shows he's well above average in terms of speed. He definitely is an awkward looking skater but he gets to where he needs to be when he needs to be

Also imo our issue with team speed isn't so much skating speed its processing and playing speed most notably among many of our defenders. Cole is one of the fastest thinkers on the team, he actually helps with team speed, by making quick and smart decisions with the puck.
Well said

Players who move at 100mph but think the game at 10mph are just as useless as the ones who move at 10mph

Being in the right place at the right time is the important thing. Being first to figure out where that place is gives you a head start

If Cole were actually "Toffoli slow" it would be another conversation. I'd classify Cole's skating as "fine" or "good enough". His stregth is between his ears

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I agreed Perfetti's speed/quickness gets over played and like most top play makers the look slower as they let plays set up. IMO as Perfetti moves into his next contract it is time to try and unleash his play making ability and you do that by playing him with your #1 center and a winger who can transition play quickly to set up odd man rushes. And we also have to give him a role on the #1 PP. Just my opinion, but once you are on your second contract as a RFA the team needs start maximize your skill set.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

The simple fact of moving on from over 30 players like Dillon, Schmidt, Monahan and Toffoli leaves a lot of room for improvement in that area. There's some pretty good skaters on this team. Guys who want to dig pucks out of corners though, that's mostly Scheifele, Vilardi and the role players. Defense is still smaller than most teams.

I think Perfetti has a legit shot now to win some PP1 time with Monahan gone.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh I don't believe he's on the market at all. The Jets desperately need young/cheap talent and he's the best they have. Cole was trusted more under Arniel then he was under Bones so I expect he will see a large role. I also agree that he needs to be on unit one. Now that we don't have Monohan we need him there as our first unit was far more impactful with him on it then with him not on it.

As for role, I'd like to continue to see him being used as a dual threat. He can score and pass at a high level, I'd like to see him developed as a multifaceted offensive player. I personally like him with everyone except Ehelers. I think both like to play the same role on the ice and clash a bit.
Agree 100% except with playing with Ehlers. Just my opinion, but Having a zone entering stud like Ehlers just helps Perfetti set up offense. As long as they have Schiefele to tie it together as he is our best all around forward and our #1 center, I think that combination can excel.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Necas is not the solution. Carolina fans hate the player and when Guentzel didn't re-sign with them they many of them seemed more upset that they are likely stuck with Necas than at losing Guentzal. From the way Carolina fans talk about him he seems like a somewhat better version of Roslovic and has the same issues with defense and lack of physicality. I would not trade Ehlers for him much less Perfetti.

Perfetti should be untouchable. I agree that speed is an issue with the Jets but that needs to be addressed starting from lower in the lineup.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The simple fact of moving on from over 30 players like Dillon, Schmidt, Monahan and Toffoli leaves a lot of room for improvement in that area. There's some pretty good skaters on this team. Guys who want to dig pucks out of corners though, that's mostly Scheifele, Vilardi and the role players. Defense is still smaller than most teams.

I think Perfetti has a legit shot now to win some PP1 time with Monahan gone.

We are still in early July and who knows if there are more moves to be made but I like the idea of opening up a bit of room to let some of the younger guys that have earned a shot, get a shot. The fact is despite a great regular season we are not getting it done when it counts so time to make adjustments. I don’t mind the churn that just happened.

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I see that Jonathan Toews has put up his Chicago condo for sale.

I hope he's doing much better now; he would look really good as the Jets 2C.

Reactions: Guardian17

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On the topic if Necas, how optimistic are we that he'd even be willing to sign a long term extension here if we landed him? There is always a first time for everything but I can't recall one instance of the Jets trading for a high talented player that agreed to an extension as part of the trade.

We very well could trade for him and have him pull a Dubois and accept his QO and go one year to UFA and we'd have to do it all over again.

If it was say and Ehlers for Necas deal we'd atleast buy an extra year and another shot before needing to move on.

Reactions: Flair Hay

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
He once skated above avg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240704_220916_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240704_220916_Chrome.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
All I said was his top speed was above average which is what the data shows. He'll need to start using it more going forward as players with similar top speed like Aho, burst a lot more.
Literally once. If you do it once, I'm not sure that makes you above avg. 😆

I'm just splitting hairs, I know. I just thought it was funny that it was actually only 1 time.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
On the topic if Necas, how optimistic are we that he'd even be willing to sign a long term extension here if we landed him? There is always a first time for everything but I can't recall one instance of the Jets trading for a high talented player that agreed to an extension as part of the trade.

We very well could trade for him and have him pull a Dubois and accept his QO and go one year to UFA and we'd have to do it all over again.

If it was say and Ehlers for Necas deal we'd atleast buy an extra year and another shot before needing to move on.

Supposedly Necas nixed a trade to Buffalo by saying he wouldn't re-sign. Not sure if it was due to them being a bottom feeder or the market though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder if the discussions with Carolina for Necas are actually centred around Perfetti and not Ehlers or McGroarty. Perfetti might actually fit nicely into their team. Chevy could try to get Ehlers extended then for his left side; maybe Lambert on the right side. Probably an add required from us.

Necas is not a fit here. He wants out of Carolina because they won't play him at C. Their reason is that he is not good there, so he can't be a C here either.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Necas is not a fit here. He wants out of Carolina because they won't play him at C. Their reason is that he is not good there, so he can't be a C here either.

Two sides to every story and we have seen once highly touted prospects that struggle with the club that drafted them do much better after a change of scenery, Sam Bennet comes to mind. However, if what you are saying is true (Roslobic 2.0) then it’s a hard pass from me. I think Brind Amore and Carolina are a pretty well run club.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Two sides to every story and we have seen once highly touted prospects that struggle with the club that drafted them do much better after a change of scenery, Sam Bennet comes to mind. However, if what you are saying is true (Roslobic 2.0) then it’s a hard pass from me. I think Brind Amore and Carolina are a pretty well run club.
Necas looks okay by his JFresh card metrics, but no Ehlers. And let's not pretend Rosie is anything any more.

1720180572131.png

1720180621582.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Speaking of Jack, the Hurricanes went out and signed him. So maybe they see the two as simular as well lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Necas looks okay by his JFresh card metrics, but no Ehlers. And let's not pretend Rosie is anything any more.

View attachment 892493

View attachment 892494

Necas somewhat as advertised by their fans on that chart. I assume most of those minutes were played at forward (not centre).

Pretty impressive Rosi was able to turn that mess into another contract.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Necas somewhat as advertised by their fans on that chart. I assume most of those minutes were played at forward (not centre).

Pretty impressive Rosi was able to turn that mess into another contract.

Yeah, if Necas is that bad defensively then my guess is he wouldn't be a good fit with our d first system. We have enough one dimensional players in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad