Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well at least the main board threads winners and losers of the summer thread isn't shining a light on us yet. That could be because things aren't as bad as we think they might be...
Or...
We are so out of everyone's sight that they didn't notice the car wreck, house on fire, leaky basement (use whatever euphemism you'd like) that our roster is.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
I really don't get why everyone thinks the sky is falling here. What they didn't over pay for aging vets? Ohh no what will they do without a 36 year old Brenden Dillon? They did exactly what they needed to do they bought out Schmidt to open up some space they let an aging vet move on to get younger guys into the lineup on D & they didn't overpay for mid level forwards.

This team is positioned very well to continue to be competitive, they do absolutely need to nail a winger for defenseman trade but that has been the case for at least a year even before the Rutger stuff they needed to move out a young winger in a trade for help on the back end. Honestly Rutger wanting out might end up being a positive as now when looking at possible returns you can look at true #2 guys instead of 3/4's.

Rasmus Anderssson has been brought up a few times not to say it has to be him but if the Jets were able to swing a Rutger for Andersson like trade and were able to roll a defense of:

JMo/Andersson
Ville/DD
Samberg/Pionk

With their current forward core and the guys on the Moose + Barlow pushing up that's a very solid foundation to continue to try and be competitive with.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I would not want Ehlers at anywhere close to those numbers. No thanks.
idk if ehlers hits 8m, but i think 7m-7.5m is a pretty reasonable estimate.

last 3 years, ehlers has played at a 0.81 PPG pace, using +/- 10% (so b/w 0.73 and 0.89ppg) as a benchmark.

Fwds who are b/w that point range this past year, and signed originally for 4+ years (i don't think ehlers is doing a short-term deal however could be wrong) are at an average of 8.3% of cap-hit at the time of signing. at 88M salary cap that is 7.3M. not sure what the cap will be next year, and ofc a v good contract year can also be a factor too.

With the UFA overspending day passed, I think teams will now pivot and look at their depth charts and we'll see if any of them this that they have a long term hole in the middle six on the wing that Ehlers would fill at his projected cap hit

I've seen a couple of posts here suggesting that he's worth 8M, and if that's the case then you can expect him to either play out his contract here and walk or he'll be worth a rental return (late 1st, meh prospect)

I get that he's a darling in certain circles but the reality is that he's a 60 point winger approaching 30

I'd love for Chevy to extend him in low high 6M/low 7M range, and I'd imagine that's roughly what GMs think he's worth.

Is it too soon to see what evolving-hockey has projected for him? That's generally where the contracts that Chevy offers land, and could give some insight into the ballpark where he'd end up

Any subscribers?

if ehlers extended this year according to someone who has their subscription (assuming you mean evolving wild):
7.5mx5
8.8mx8

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

last 3 years, ehlers has played at a 0.81 PPG pace, using +/- 10% (so b/w 0.73 and 0.89) as a benchmark.

Fwds who are b/w that point range, and signed for 4+ years (i don't think ehlers is doing a short-term deal however could be wrong) are around 8.3% of cap-hit at the time of signing, at 88M that is 7.3M.
Yes. The NHL is a lot like fast food.

A couple weeks ago I went to Wendy's for the first time in awhile. Ordered a Baconator combo. Well, wouldn't you know, that f***ing thing cost me $19.10.

I'm used to the days where fast food combos ran you, like, $7/8 at most. Just like how I'm used to the days where players of Ehlers's ilk were worth around $4/5 million a year.

But, alas, I suppose that, unlike a lot of jobs us common folk are tied down to, NHL salary's have to keep up with fast food inflation.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010

Ehlers is also a year younger than Buch so that helps him. I would be very surprised if an Ehlers extension with the Jets or anyone else came in below 7.5 I think you are looking 7.75-8.25 over 6/7.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers is also a year younger than Buch so that helps him. I would be very surprised if an Ehlers extension with the Jets or anyone else came in below 7.5 I think you are looking 7.75-8.25 over 6/7.
i think a year younger or older at this stage of their careers in their late 20s is negligible. there's +/-'s you can probably muster up and argue for ehlers either way. at the end of the day, points get you paid and players in his PPG range are typically in that %-of-Cap-hit range. the cap also went up ~5% this year, so that could also play a factor for next season, as well as possibly a big year in individual production.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Scheifele is better than barkov

Trading Ehlers has to come with a dman in return and nobody good is available so you better off keeping ehlers and run with Lambert at 2c.
68da9fd29147c59ef238d1ac42417157.jpg

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Coles notes on Schmid?

Good guy in the room. At this point in his career, serviceable 3rd pairing guy. He was able to play higher in previous seasons, but this past season he was in the pressbox a lot.

He's a lefty but has played a lot on his offside. I think he might be better on his offside, but not 100% sure.

Ideally makes a good #7, but can play on a 3rd pairing and not look out of place.

Reactions: roccerfeller

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Coles notes on Schmid?
was an offensive defensemen but is now better defensively then offensively, not the fastest on his feet but should still be good enough on the 3rd pair, if he remembered where the net was he would have put up a lot more points, he's also great in the locker room, good signing especially at that price

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Coles notes on Schmid?
First off Congratulations on the Cup Win! Schmidt is still a decent # 5/6 who can play either side. He was just grossly over paid at a touch under $6M. All reports is he is a great guy, good in the locker room and helps keep things light. He is very popular with team mates and doesn't cause any trauma if he is in the PB.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad