Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Crazy that all the NY media and fanbase are buying what Trouba and Overhardt are selling about his wife's residency. That was the excuse they landed on here too, after rolling out the "Jets are too deep on the right side, we love WPG and the city and the fans, its just about opportunity" BS

What a load.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I liked us getting back Miller for depth. Didn't see that coming with how he was used down the stretch but I think it was a good deal. Personally I'd rather him get more ice time than Pionk at this point, but we'll see how it goes. A vet RHD at that contract is pretty good.

I'm glad we didn't extend Monahan at that term and length as well. With no other moves we have Names who can play that spot, and some young guys who can also get some experience there.

I would be interested in Pinto as well if the Sens look to move him (due to a request or cap reasons). I think some of the recent offers here are on the high side from our side, but we'll see if he's even moved how it goes.

I do hope that Chevy does something with Ehlers this summer though and doesn't let it go into the season. Either an extension or trade, so the team knows what they need to add to the roster.
Signing Miller seemed a bit weird given our aversion to playing him.
Arniel and his staff would have to prove they view Pionk's place and value to the team differently.
Otherwise I don't see Miller or most of our D playing ahead of him.
Even though it was clear that he did a lot more harm than good last season.
In the playoff Pionk should have been wearing an Av's jersey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
chevy said he was right there on dillon/monahan so I think we would have had to do more

Dillon could have been extended months ago. Once UFA got that close it was going to get competitive.

Glad we missed out on Monahan. He is not the answer for us.

It sounds like Chevy was saved from himself again.

Reactions: rkp and hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some of these guys really need to get their egos checked.

How do you feel if your boss appears to not value your work?

Feeling disrespected - or taken for granted - leaves Dillon in a mood to test the market. Also in a mood to demand that Jets beat, not merely match the best other offer. I can't blame him.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I agree that Pionk is not suitable for a 2nd pair role, but somehow the Jets had the best goals against performance with him in that role next season. I think Miller would probably be better.

My main point was that I don't think losing Dillon puts a huge hole in the line-up with Samberg ready to take a bigger role.

Jets still could use an upgrade on the 2nd pair RD, for sure.
I guess I am in the minority here on Samberg. He's performed really well with Schmidt in sheltered 3 pairing minutes and his superpower is gaining the red line and dumping it in. Zero offense. 25 years old - its likely we are seeing prime Samberg right now, which is a great #6.

3rd pairing D are a dime a dozen and the acquisition cost through trade or free agency is nothing.

That said, Pionk in the top 4 is a bigger problem than basically anyone.

Reactions: Gm0ney and hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Signing Miller seemed a bit weird given our aversion to playing him.
Arniel and his staff would have to prove they view Pionk's place and value to the team differently.
Otherwise I don't see Miller or most of our D playing ahead of him.
Even though it was clear that he did a lot more harm than good last season.
In the playoff Pionk should have been wearing an Av's jersey.
Makes you wonder if there was a disconnect between Chevy and Bones

Chevy deals for the guy, Bones staples his ass to the pressbox

I could see a guy like Bones coming to Winnipeg and saying " I don't need this job, but I'll come in and address the issues in the room and the D structure but I need complete autonomy on line up makeup"

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I put this as a trade a couple pages back, what do you guys think?

What about Ehlers/McGroarty/Pionk to NYI for Nelson/Pulock/Maggio/Danny Nelson?

We would get Nelson as our 2c, Pulock could play either 1st or 2nd line RD, and have 2 prospects who could help out on the Moose

NYI would get their speedy winger (who after next season could resign him to a long-term contract), Pionk who would be their 2nd line RD, and McGroarty could possibly have his wish on being in their lineup for the 25-26 season. They would also get a bit more cap space (not much but still helps them)

A lot of pieces. Both Nelson and Pulock would need to waive. I could maybe see Pulock. Big maybe. But why would Nelson waive?

IF he waived we would get 1 year of Nelson - at 33 YO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How do you feel if your boss appears to not value your work?

Feeling disrespected - or taken for granted - leaves Dillon in a mood to test the market. Also in a mood to demand that Jets beat, not merely match the best other offer. I can't blame him.

I guess to me not prioritizing him ahead of more important pieces is not disrespectful. The org valued his work and gave him a big role his entire time here. Just seems incredibly trivial.

Lots of teams going more with mobility and puck moving than "toughness" on D.

Oilers switched out Desharnais for Broberg when they were getting swamped in the playoffs.

Panthers D featured Montour and Forsling as their top D.

Dallas' D features Heiskanen, Lindell and Harley.

Avs' D features Makar, Toews and Girard.

I think Samberg is robust enough, and Morrissey and DeMelo can play against heavier players. I think that the main issue is that if a player isn't big, they really need to have outstanding mobility. That's where Pionk and Heinola might struggle a bit.

I've be arguing for puck moving and mobility for a while now. The issue with Pionk is he's not a puck moving dmen. His transition ability is pretty awful and that's the role he's asked to play.

Reactions: ecolad

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Here what the Jets really wanted.

Dillion and Monahan back.

I find it funny people think Chevy's so smart. He likely wishes he had offered more. They wanted to roll it all back that was the plan.
I agree that this was the plan. I don't even think it was a terrible one, especially since the team refuses even the mention of re-tooling and rebuilding.

I don't like Monahan's term but his AAV is not even in the top 20 of bad contracts handed out yesterday. He's a year younger than Scheifele. 60 point, 2 way center that can play in all situations. Slow as hell.

I think they were planning to re-sign at least one of them. The trouble now is they didn't get either. So now we have $12M in cap space and we are signing a bunch of waiver scrubs. It looks like Chevy might be forced into a re-tooling year afterall.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree that this was the plan. I don't even think it was a terrible one, especially since the team refuses even the mention of re-tooling and rebuilding.

I don't like Monahan's term but his AAV is not even in the top 20 of bad contracts handed out yesterday. He's a year younger than Scheifele. 60 point, 2 way center that can play in all situations. Slow as hell.

I think they were planning to re-sign at least one of them. The trouble now is they didn't get either. So now we have $12M in cap space and we are signing a bunch of waiver scrubs. It looks like Chevy might be forced into a re-tooling year afterall.

Monohan hasn't hit 60 or more points in half a decade. He didn't even hit it last year while riding one of the best shooting percentages of his career. He's largely been a 40 point C the last 6 seasons.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I put this as a trade a couple pages back, what do you guys think?

What about Ehlers/McGroarty/Pionk to NYI for Nelson/Pulock/Maggio/Danny Nelson?

We would get Nelson as our 2c, Pulock could play either 1st or 2nd line RD, and have 2 prospects who could help out on the Moose

NYI would get their speedy winger (who after next season could resign him to a long-term contract), Pionk who would be their 2nd line RD, and McGroarty could possibly have his wish on being in their lineup for the 25-26 season. They would also get a bit more cap space (not much but still helps them)

I don't think Pulock waives. He just got married to a Long Island woman who makes more money than he does. Also they get their speedy winger in return for making their right side much worse.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Scheifele is a top-performing C when he isn't playing with Connor, because together they give up too much defensively. When Scheifele has been with Ehlers they put up stellar results. I think that if the coaches use Scheifele effectively, he can drive good results.

How many coaches have insisted on KC - Scheif now?

I will believe a deviation from that when I see it.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Monohan hasn't hit 60 or more points in half a decade. He didn't even hit it last year while riding one of the best shooting percentages of his career. He's largely been a 40 point C the last 6 seasons.
59 points last year. And its hard to hit 60 points when you are averaging 52 games/season. But I get your point. He's had multiple surgeries over the past 4 years. I am guessing that the Jets medical staff were comfortable with his health given that the Jets were "right there" with CBJ's offer to re-sign him.

Reactions: scelaton

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Team got a lot softer with Dillon gone too. Not a lot of size/grit/toughness on the backend. Even less with Heinola penciled into the lineup.

I'm not sure I get the obsession with "toughness". Toughness always seems to end up in the press box when things really matter. We've had so called tough players in the past and there's still complaints the team is soft.

I can see a size argument for range but not for hits or fighting or what have you.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
How many coaches have insisted on KC - Scheif now?

I will believe a deviation from that when I see it.
It's not the coaches. They've promised 55 that he can play with him. So they do. He wants to play his perimeter possession passing game and have the best scorer he can set up. Ehlers is a chaos machine so likely hates playing with him. My guess anyhow.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Dreger apparently saying we just missed out on Blake Lizzotte as well... would've been a nice 4th line C. Jets do love them some LA players.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm not sure I get the obsession with "toughness". Toughness always seems to end up in the press box when things really matter. We've had so called tough players in the past and there's still complaints the team is soft.

I can see a size argument for range but not for hits or fighting or what have you.
Toughness is an interesting concept

I think that fighting has little to do with it these days, as do big open ice hits

Instead, when I think of toughness, I try to envision what it would be like to go into corner to battle over a loose puck with a guy. Are they tenacious? Are they not gonna quit? Am I gonna feel like I've paid a price even if I "win" the battle?

On one "soft" end of the spectrum is Connor. On the "tough" end, Lowry

Not everyone needs to have that. For example, Lidstrom was one of the best at winning loose puck ever, but he used his body positioning and stick perfectly

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's not the coaches. They've promised 55 that he can play with him. So they do. He wants to play his perimeter possession passing game and have the best scorer he can set up. Ehlers is a chaos machine so likely hates playing with him. My guess anyhow.

How is that not the coaches?

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad